VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 5/20 Garden Room Competition Judging  (Read 21442 times)

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
5/20 Garden Room Competition Judging
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:58 AM »

OK, I cant get real fancy with this, so I will just say:

WO WO WO WO!! GO now and read the Home Page!!!

New information on the judging of the garden rooms and what the prizes are going to be!!!

HINT: we WILL get to see MANY of the garden rooms for ourselves.....hehe.

If someone wants to edit this post later on with picture from Home Page, that would be great!

.it

ETA:  Homepage Information

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:13 AM by Astro »

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
Re: 5/20: HOLY HOME PAGE BATMAN....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04 AM »

Thank you .It   :hug:

I'm working on this, I'll update this post with pics, etc.   :thumb:
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Flamanette

a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
Re: 5/20: HOLY HOME PAGE BATMAN....
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:06 AM »

Great Astro!  I always need to leave this kind of thing in the hands of the NoBS experts....

And, let me tell ya:  I have done some of this already and boy do I have a lot to say about it.

Can we discuss it here in this thread, or should it be it's own thread??

(holds it in till word from Astro)

.it

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
5/20 Garden Room Competiton Judging
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:08 AM »

Well, let me tell ya:  I have done some of this already and boy do I have a lot to say about it.....

Can we discuss it here in this thread, or should it be it's own thread??

(holds it in till word from Astro)

.it

hehe, go for it!    :thumb:

You can respond right here is perfectly fine.   ;)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
Re: 5/20 Garden Room Competition Judging
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21 AM »

um, excuse me VFK ... no participation prize whatsoever?!  What gives with that?!

I know I don't have a snowballs chance .... rofl   :shy:     But, please at least give me a little tiny bit of credit for at least trying, and above all -- Participating VFK!   :uhuh:   Without participants, there is no contest.  Enough said.   Throw me a pin for petes sake.  

Give me time, I'm sure I have more guys .... lol

Sorry, had to vent and get that out.  That was my initial reaction.  Unless I'm missing it somewhere?

Oh and GOOD LUCK ALL!  WOOT!!    :2thunbs:    If it were up to me.... I'd vote ya all!!!

Flamanette

a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:25 AM »

WOO HOO....

OK, first, I did read elsewhere and just checked it: only those who have ENTERED a room can do this judging....I like that!  No millions of clones doing the judging!

With that out of the way: I have done some judging of these rooms already and let me tell ya that I am really really peeved at some of the stuff I am seeing here.  I have been in 40 rooms (hehe, almost to the point of my first bonus prize) and I swear, about HALF of those rooms HAVE NOTHING IN THEM!!!!!

Honest to goodness!  And a fair amount of others have the most ridiculous things in them, like beta furnish and a neon sign!  I kid you not.  Now, I know that a lot of people are anticipating getting a "participation" prize: but this just stinks!  And we don't even know if there will be a 'participation' prize.

I know there is NO WAY I would ever win with my garden, I accept that, really I do.  There is just so much outstanding talent out there.  But to think that a person who threw a few pink couches and a few quest items in a room and entered it might get that same prize as I do for "participation"..... :bm:  <---well that's how I feel about that one!!

There are also some things I wish we could do in this judging: 1) give the above described rooms a big fat 0 score; 2) the ability to leave a short (I mean short) comment on a room; 3) some way to track how many rooms we have judged instead of me making tally marks on a piece of paper,  :rofl1:.

The system also seems to be a bit buggy; I have been "stuck" in rooms, I have had the judging form be forever stuck in "loading" mode, and I have been repeatedly sent to the Opera House when clicking "move to next room".

So while I like the idea of peer review of the rooms, there are some things that could be improved certainly.  The biggest being that the rooms that really are obvious that the player submitted it just to get a participation prize should be eliminated from the peer review process.  They have supposedly been through  the first stage of judging -- VFK should have removed these from the mix before releasing the peer review.

Phew...does this go down as longest post I have made here?

.it

P.S.: Astro I dont think they announced there would be a participation prize in the ride contest either; I think that was a surprise?  I could be wrong...if I am, then SHEESH MAN....I am mad about that one too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:27 AM by Flamanette »

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:35 AM »

I am right there with ya .It!  I have done a few rooms, and I am in shock.  Yes, she is not kidding when there is just a pink couch in the room!

I do like this idea VFK has come up with ... peers judging.  I'm sure there are bugs that need to be fixed.

Makes me sad when all of us have busted our tail making a legit garden room, and put our heart into it.   And then you have these entries... that quite frankly are a waste of my time even looking at.  Obviously if u throw a pink couch in a Grand Garden room, you not are even trying.   :uhuh2:

EDIT:  Okay, it gets better .... so now I get my next room to be judged, get thrown on a ride automatically as soon as you hit the room.  There was already a judging flag from last year in there, so I'm assuming it was the spring ride room.  Then I get sent to the same room, from the ride.  Dumped into an area with about 6 other players.  All in there to judge the same room, and we're all stuck!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:14 AM by Astro »

Flamanette

a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:12 AM »

I've just been in a room that appears to have a judging flag in it...it's red like the one they used for the ride contest....

Boy you would think that they would at least give a different color!

.it

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39 AM »

Without having done this yet, a few thoughts come to mind:

1)  I knew they didn't have enough judges to judge all the rooms.  I'm sure they received WAY more entries this time around than when they did the Ride Competition (600+ entries for that).  Do the math.  I'm pretty sure that nobody from VFK has looked at these rooms as they have said.  The sheer number of entries received requires a different method of judging.  Unless we are all prepared to wait till next year for our rooms to get judged.

2)  The reason you kept ending at the Opera House might be because the room was one of the Mermaid rooms...and you didn't have your pin on.  I'm SO glad now that I didn't use a Mermaid room for my garden like I originally was going to do.

3)  I think the participation awards WERE a surprise last year.  The red flag and the green shirt.

4)  I see no honorable mention awards this time around.  Also no separate VIP and non-VIP sections for awards.

5)  nvm

6)  I wonder if the fact that people know their judging will be judged by others will result in people giving a huge amount of '10' ratings?

7)  VFK didn't tell us what criteria to use for judging.  This means the judging relies completely on personal preference by people who wouldn't know a pretty room from an elegant room.

8 )  The red flag might have been moved there by the entrant...or they might be entering the same room as they did for the ride competition and were too lazy to take the flag out.

9)  Having different categories would have been nice.  Like 'Most Elegant', 'Best concept', 'Best use of ordinary item'...I don't know.  Stuff like that.

Fact of the matter:  only 5 awards.  God only knows how many entries.  Mayhem to ensue shortly.

Enough for now.  Going to get my feet wet in awhile.

FLAME  <<--- :notme:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:50 AM by flamanar »

goldengourd

• Gee, I guess I'm not as old as I thought
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:58 AM »

Despite all the missgivings mentioned above, I'm loving this. I think it is great to see the rooms, have a bit of input. I also think it is okay for ppl to see what the staff have to wade through sometimes, of rooms ppl entered but chose not to do anything with, not to mention the lag, lol. I've seen several really nice rooms, lots of time put into them. Some I had seen before.  ;)
-PotOfGoldWench
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:39 PM »

That's true, Golden.  I did forget to mention something you brought up, though.  Lag.  Some gardens I couldn't get into that I was invited to see before the competition because I crashed while loading the room.  Other rooms, I couldn't walk 2 steps without waiting a minute in between.  Never did finish looking at a couple of rooms...and my computer is no slouch.  Neither is my connection.

I'm pessimistic (sp?) about this, but we'll see. ;)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:41 PM »

Beyond irritated at what I am "supposed" to judge and finding in this competition.  And for the record... this person's room below, I guarantee you will judge 200 rooms to get the judging prizes, and then trade them off -- given VFK is that stupid and makes them tradeable. 

Like we all really have time to judge this, or VFK for that matter?

rant done....   :rantsw:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 12:49 PM »

Beyond irritated at what I am "supposed" to judge and finding in this competition.  And for the record... this person's room below, I guarantee you will judge 200 rooms to get the judging prizes, and then trade them off -- given VFK is that stupid and makes them tradeable. 

Which brings up another point.  We don't have time to do this.  And there's no way VFK could judge all the rooms themselves.  They already piled enough on us to keep us busy till their anniversary...when we'll be swamped again, I'm sure. 

The other point being:  just what the .... criteria are we supposed to be judging rooms by?  Everyone will be judging the room from a different angle.  There will be no consistency. 

Rant away.  I haven't started judging yet, but I have a feeling I'll be joining you soon.  LOL

Flamanette

a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 12:58 PM »

Which brings up another point.  We don't have time to do this.  And there's no way VFK could judge all the rooms themselves.  They already piled enough on us to keep us busy till their anniversary...when we'll be swamped again, I'm sure. 

The other point being:  just what the .... criteria are we supposed to be judging rooms by?  Everyone will be judging the room from a different angle.  There will be no consistency. 

Rant away.  I haven't started judging yet, but I have a feeling I'll be joining you soon.  LOL

Uh oh look out................

...................THIS SPACE AND THE FOLLOWING 3 PAGES ARE RESERVED FOR FLAME'S RANT ABOUT THE GARDEN JUDGING.....................

.IT  (ducks and covers)

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:04 PM »

...................THIS SPACE AND THE FOLLOWING 3 PAGES ARE RESERVED FOR FLAME'S RANT ABOUT THE GARDEN JUDGING.....................

.IT  (ducks and covers)

I heard that!  :P  You know I'm always objective when I comment ;)

Well, the first room I judged took 2 full minutes to load...and my browser stopped responding (fortunately, it did recover).  Pretty room.  I suggest refreshing your connection often.  Just in case.  Second room had like 6 different items in it, and took a few seconds to load. 

Also, like .It said, you'll have to keep track of how many you've judged yourself.  Blech.

FLAME  <--- :notme:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:06 PM by flamanar »

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 01:09 PM »

.IT  (ducks and covers)

ROFL!  Well then at least it won't only be me ranting   :notme:

I think it's the room description comments too that are getting to me.  That pic above for example ... "eggsacly what you're lookin for : D"   They are purposely meant obviously for staff, and to be smart about it.    :td:    

I am looking at the room descriptions, because a lot of them actually explain a bit about the room, if you weren't sure on a theme.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:16 PM »

ROFL!  Well then at least it won't only be me ranting   :notme:

I think it's the room description comments too that are getting to me.  That pic above for example ... "eggsacly what you're lookin for : D"   They are purposely meant obviously for staff, and to be smart about it.    :td:    

I am looking at the room descriptions, because a lot of them actually explain a bit about the room, if you weren't sure on a theme.

Ok.  just had a room that forced me onto a ride, froze for like 3 minutes, then was sent around the room in an endless loop.  Couldn't get off.  LOL.  It's taking me a LONG time just to go to the next room!  Should we ding rooms for 'bad execution'?  It was a beautiful room, but I would have liked to WALK through it!

The descriptions are helpful, and I'm glad they are anonymous.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up