VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 5/20 Garden Room Competition Judging  (Read 21438 times)

Aurorasparkle

• It is the most wonderful thing in the world to be a mom.
  • Fireworks Magic
Re: 5/20 Garden Room Competition Judging
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2010, 08:36 PM »

Juding rooms:  glad we have the chance to do this.  But when VFK doesn't really set much in writing to know exactly what to judge other than: "Overall Rating" and "Use of garden theme" - I wonder what the definitions for their Overall Rating.  Ah well, it gives me much freedom in my opinion then.

As I've been going through rooms and judging I try to look and see if it might be a kid that built.  If so, they are given a plus or so for that.  Even if I see alot of dirt and it looks like they at least thought about a layout/plan and tried to achieve that with little amount of items/credits they are getting a higher score than others who just threw stuff in random.  I've been walking the 'entire' room view of these Grand Garden rooms to see if there are some "hidden treasure corners" there - some have and I'm glad I made the effort.

Some smaller rooms or grand garden rooms with very little items are getting good/better scores from me if I can see "real" effort was made even with little in it or a mix of items they might have had on hand.  

Trying to judge what I think might be an adult with lots of credits/items and time allowed on computer versus a kid who goes to school most of the day, does not "know" how to do extra spares to get credits/items and  not a member receiving credits and may be limited to computer time due to parent's rules.   Not surprising me is that some of these little filled rooms but with effort and thought are getting almost as good or just as good a score as some of the really terrific rooms.

Princess, I think that is a wonderful way you are judging the rooms.  Bravo to you!!! 

I sure wish I would have known about the judging and that they were going to give out prizes for judging.  I was going to enter the contest but never got around to it and didn't think I could compete with the Big Dogs, now I'm bummed for not at least entering something so I could get these judging prizes, plus I think the judging sounds like fun.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • more laundry....
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 07:19 AM »

Juding rooms:  glad we have the chance to do this.  But when VFK doesn't really set much in writing to know exactly what to judge other than: "Overall Rating" and "Use of garden theme" - I wonder what the definitions for their Overall Rating.  Ah well, it gives me much freedom in my opinion then.

As I've been going through rooms and judging I try to look and see if it might be a kid that built.  If so, they are given a plus or so for that.  Even if I see alot of dirt and it looks like they at least thought about a layout/plan and tried to achieve that with little amount of items/credits they are getting a higher score than others who just threw stuff in random.  I've been walking the 'entire' room view of these Grand Garden rooms to see if there are some "hidden treasure corners" there - some have and I'm glad I made the effort.

Some smaller rooms or grand garden rooms with very little items are getting good/better scores from me if I can see "real" effort was made even with little in it or a mix of items they might have had on hand.  

Trying to judge what I think might be an adult with lots of credits/items and time allowed on computer versus a kid who goes to school most of the day, does not "know" how to do extra spares to get credits/items and  not a member receiving credits and may be limited to computer time due to parent's rules.   Not surprising me is that some of these little filled rooms but with effort and thought are getting almost as good or just as good a score as some of the really terrific rooms.

Princess, I think that is a wonderful way you are judging the rooms.  Bravo to you!!!  

I sure wish I would have known about the judging and that they were going to give out prizes for judging.  I was going to enter the contest but never got around to it and didn't think I could compete with the Big Dogs, now I'm bummed for not at least entering something so I could get these judging prizes, plus I think the judging sounds like fun.

Thanks Aurora.  :bighug: I think the quote thing got messed up because I think that was from my post.

I agree it would have been nice to know in advance about the judging. I entered the contest (twice actually - 1funfly, 1 my main spare) only because I wondered about Participation Award and I had 2 ideas I wanted to use, and started to build the 1 while on my spare before I realized who I had logged in  :doh:

While judging with my spare and main I have seen some of the same rooms twice; and others only once.  Wonder what the total number of entries was.

Aurorasparkle

• It is the most wonderful thing in the world to be a mom.
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 09:24 AM »

Thanks Aurora.  :bighug: I think the quote thing got messed up because I think that was from my post.

I agree it would have been nice to know in advance about the judging. I entered the contest (twice actually - 1funfly, 1 my main spare) only because I wondered about Participation Award and I had 2 ideas I wanted to use, and started to build the 1 while on my spare before I realized who I had logged in  :doh:

While judging with my spare and main I have seen some of the same rooms twice; and others only once.  Wonder what the total number of entries was.

funfly, I'm sorry for not reading your post correctly...not sure how I messed the quote thing up.  I really love the way you are doing the judging.  I have always felt that this game is about the kids and I think your judging really shows this.  :thumb:

Hugs Aurora

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22 AM »

funfly, I'm sorry for not reading your post correctly...not sure how I messed the quote thing up.  I really love the way you are doing the judging.  I have always felt that this game is about the kids and I think your judging really shows this.  :thumb:

Hugs Aurora

Thanks Aurora....no worries on the other.  :bighug:

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2010, 11:32 AM »

On a different note, I don't believe I had the opportunity to judge ONE NoBS room out of 200.  LOL.  Weird...

Really, if I had known that the players would be judging rooms, I probably would have suggested we all not post pics of our rooms here, so as not to lend any bias to the judging.  Shame we weren't told ahead of time. 

To be fair, I still haven't seen .Its and Hero's rooms yet...although I know what .Its room theme is.  Like in the videos I made for VFK TV, I don't like to see other ppls creations before making something myself.  I know several people in VFK who do like to copy ideas, which leads me to lock my 'special' rooms...at least until any competition is over.  I like to be able to just build based on my own feelings...and not because of something I saw someone else do.  Most times, though, there's simply no way around that.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 12:01 PM »

Ugh, I'm still not done judging   :sur:   I think I'm a little over 100 right now. 

I have only seen Fun's room and King's room to judge so far.   :2thunbs:   All the other rooms thus far, I have no idea whose they are.  Well, and I'm having my fair share of storage rooms, pink couch rooms, easter basket storage rooms, or DIRT.   :uhuh:
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 01:26 PM »

Really, if I had known that the players would be judging rooms, I probably would have suggested we all not post pics of our rooms here, so as not to lend any bias to the judging.  Shame we weren't told ahead of time. 

I have to agree, however, most of the rooms that are pictured, I had seen first hand, which is equally difficult.  I saw Wendy's room in person before we knew we were judging, and admit that I have not judged  any room to be worthy of the 10's she should get.  I have seen several 9's, but just can't equal or top, both the theme and gardening that is Wendy's way.  I still have 50 more rooms to go.
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 01:47 PM »

First of all, ducky, that is a very, very sweet thing to say. My fingers have a few nerve issues like my feet and so I cannot do many art projects in real life anymore. I used to design my own cross-stitch pieces and then create them; too painful for my fingers to do that anymore. I used to love to paint and sculpt, but it is just too much logistically anymore. I feel like on VMK and now VFK, building is a way for me to release some creative energy. It is almost cathartic for me, especially during stressful times or times when I have had lots of pain. Your sweet comments just made my day.  :bighug:

As far as judging, Fun, I love your thinking on that also. I believe I had either read something similar from you and Golden, or we talked about it. I look at every description in a room, not only to get an idea of the theme, but that usually gives me a hint about the age of a room's owner. Like you, I try to look to see if things were just placed around by an adult or if it is a room built by a child with maybe limited resources. I have to say, I still have many rooms to judge. I have really enjoyed some of the rooms. I have seen a few with just Beta or rare Host prizes in them. Unless their theme is "garden of rare", a room full of rare items makes me giggle really.  :doh: :lolg: Well, I am trying to get a few things in on VFK before the LOST finale tonight! Hugs!  :bighug:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 02:15 PM »

Keep the art coming, Wendy!  You rock at that :)

When I was judging, I checked every description and walked every room from beginning to end (except one that I kept DC'ing in).  However, I didn't try to see if it was a child or not when judging.  I no a lot uf pepull hoo ar adultts hoo r veri chyldlyk in menee wais.  LOL  I feel it's impossible most of the time to tell.  However, doesn't hurt to try.  Some people did have cards in their rooms with their title on the cards.  Still...alot of ppl I run into in game are kids, and I swear they are more mature than many adults on game.  So...go with yer gut ;)  The judging was obviously left completely up to our own personal discretion.  I'm sure everyone had different things they looked for, different things that caught their eye, etc.  No idea how it will shake out, but am interested to see the end results of the judging.  Let's hope their computers don't take a nose dive again...

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 06:20 AM »

I don't like to see other ppls creations before making something myself.  I know several people in VFK who do like to copy ideas, which leads me to lock my 'special' rooms...at least until any competition is over.  I like to be able to just build based on my own feelings...and not because of something I saw someone else do.  Most times, though, there's simply no way around that.

I do this too Flame.  I like to lock myself into my room when building as not to get ideas from others, but sometimes it can't be helped.

LOL, I saw a room with a few water carpets splashed around and each corner of the graden room a tree and not much else and thought this was one of the worse rooms I have seen until the next room which had a few valentine's things in it and 5 teleporters.  Only flowers was a white vase sitting on a pedestal.  I was like OMG :wtf?:.  It was more like a storage room then anything and the teleporters went to other rooms of hers so that is why I don't use a teleporter in a room until done judging it.  I don't want to know who it belongs too until afterwards.

Geez, I finally make 50 rooms (still no prize yet) and everyone is flying by me.  Dumbo computer!  :type:  :wait:  :cpusmash2:

:crazy2: Krazy_Kim :crazy2:
I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 06:28 AM »

Woot!  I finally got my notice that I have completed my judging.   But it made me wonder just how many did enter the contest.  Because in these last 40 rooms I got to judge both of Funfly's rooms, and in the last 5 rooms, I got Flamanette's room!  (I had also had Flame's room a few days ago.)

Who knows, I might have had more NoBS rooms, I just didn't know it.

I must admit, that as tiring as it got some times to judge the rooms, the descriptions people put in the Info box, were very telling.  A couple I shall never forget: the first was an opera house apartment room, with not a flower in it.  The Info said "This room is not attractive. I would like it to be beautiful." ( :lolg: like maybe they wanted VFK to redo the room)

The second room also had not a flower to be seen, but someone has a good friend, whose Info consisted of "I only entered to tell you to look at S......'s room.  He should win."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:30 AM by Purpleduck »

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 07:24 AM »

Woot!  I finally got my notice that I have completed my judging.   But it made me wonder just how many did enter the contest.  Because in these last 40 rooms I got to judge both of Funfly's rooms, and in the last 5 rooms, I got Flamanette's room!  (I had also had Flame's room a few days ago.)

I must admit, that as tiring as it got some times to judge the rooms, the descriptions people put in the Info box, were very telling.  A couple I shall never forget: the first was an opera house apartment room, with not a flower in it.  The Info said "This room is not attractive. I would like it to be beautiful." ( :lolg: like maybe they wanted VFK to redo the room)

The second room also had not a flower to be seen, but someone has a good friend, whose Info consisted of "I only entered to tell you to look at S......'s room.  He should win."

OK, that right there, that has to be the "best of the worst" that I have heard of so far!   :rofl1:

What I still don't understand is why on earth these types of rooms were even included in the Community Judging portion.  If this is all because VFK is just too lazy to weed through all this stuff and now are making US do it, well that just ticks me off.  It takes ALOT of time to do 200 rooms!  And when you have to help a young player (my daughter) get through it all, well, it's just lousy.

OK, done my rant and off to get another cup of coffee!

.it  :coffee:  :coffee:

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14 AM »

Geez, I finally make 50 rooms (still no prize yet) and everyone is flying by me.  Dumbo computer!  :type:  :wait:  :cpusmash2:

Krazy:  We don't get judging prizes yet, not until 5-27.

Just make sure all your 200 rooms are (per VFK Homepage) "All judging must be completed by Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 at 10:00 P.M. Pacific Time".   Per the Homepage "Every time you complete the judging of 50 rooms, you will be awarded one of the special judging awards. All judging awards will be distributed Thursday, May 27th, 2010."

goldengourd

• Gee, I guess I'm not as old as I thought
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 11:21 AM »

I respectfully disagree, I don't think the staff should have eliminated rooms from the contestant judging. Unless they purposely got it to say the top 20 and asked for "people's choice" vote, which is a whole different thing. If we are judging all (or actually random sample of all), then we should get to judge all, not a select group. I think it is a good illustration on the frustration the staff must go through when they try to run an event, and find so many are there just sponging off it for freebees. But then again, its just little old me, I don't have to get my whole family through their 200 and no kids playing.
Though it would serve those spongers right if they to have any participation awards its based off your rooms average scores. If you get at least a 3 you get the pin, a 5 you get a tshirt, etc.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:23 AM by goldengourd »
-PotOfGoldWench

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 12:05 PM »

I also respectfully disagree...but for different reasons.

1)  there's NO WAY VFK had enough manpower to surf the entire amount of submissions to weed out the blech...let alone judge the rooms themselves
2)  VFK might have WANTED us to see what they have to go through when THEY have to do this type of thing

I'm just kinda bummed that they didn't leave the titles on the blech rooms that were entered just to get a consolation prize.  LOL

Really though...I enjoyed the blech rooms.  It was a quick and easy vote for me, sometimes a much needed break, and sometimes a good chuckle as well.   ;)

Duck.i:  that was classic, btw  :rofl1:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2010, 12:47 PM »

What I still don't understand is why on earth these types of rooms were even included in the Community Judging portion.  If this is all because VFK is just too lazy to weed through all this stuff and now are making US do it, well that just ticks me off.  It takes ALOT of time to do 200 rooms!  And when you have to help a young player (my daughter) get through it all, well, it's just lousy.

OK, done my rant and off to get another cup of coffee!

.it  :coffee:  :coffee:

Well I do agree with ya .It.     :thumbs:

VFK first of all is in this bind (of being overwhelmed with entries), because THEY are the ones that have continually allowed a thousand clones per email account.  So now they have a huge mess that they can't ever clean up.  Not my problem.  It's difficult to feel sorry for them and what they have to go through with judging these rooms, when they have created it.  I'm harsh I know, my opinion though.  But now it almost seems like it's the "1 bad apple syndrome".  Just because of an abundance of icky rooms, we all get punished for it -- and judge them?  How is that fair.

Secondly, they get PAID to sit and judge these rooms, not me.   :P

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed seeing the majority of these rooms.  But, my time is worth something, and I'd rather be using it on how I want to, when it comes to room judging -- seeing rooms of players that have ACTUALLY TRIED, and gave a darn on what they put together.  Especially if I'm made to do that for a prize, or what most likely will be my participation effort prize.  I don't appreciate having to look at someone's storage rooms, cafe, pizzaria, or halloween room.  Yes, I came across a halloween room.  Give me a break -- theme is GARDEN people.

I'll give staff credit, when they actually give some of their players credit, and answer questions about their game.  Or hey, communicate for once, that would be epic.   ;)  Until then, I'll continue to call it like I see it as well. 

gosh I'm crabby.... 20 more rooms to go THANK YOU GOD!     :heat:     :crazy:

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 01:22 PM »

Geez, I finally make 50 rooms (still no prize yet) and everyone is flying by me.  Dumbo computer!  :type:  :wait:  :cpusmash2:

Krazy:  We don't get judging prizes yet, not until 5-27.

Thanks for the info Astro.  I have been staying up all night to judge cause I look through the entire room and its less lag on this old computer.  A few hours of sleep a day is not good.  :(  :yawn:  :sleep:  :lolg:

Woot!  I finally got my notice that I have completed my judging.   But it made me wonder just how many did enter the contest.  Because in these last 40 rooms I got to judge both of Funfly's rooms, and in the last 5 rooms, I got Flamanette's room!  (I had also had Flame's room a few days ago.)

I was going to descibe my Mom's and my room on here, but thought I would wait till after the contest that way I would have a more accurate vote because no one would know who made it.

I saw a cute greenhouse (made out of ice blocks) out there, but just wish it had more flowers cause I couldn't sit on the chairs.

I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up