VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 5/20 Garden Room Competition Judging  (Read 21439 times)

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
    • Our Family MySpace Page
Re: 5/20 Garden Room Competition Judging
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 01:31 PM »

Wow!!! I have not been on since Tuesday, and so much happening! I have mixed feelings about this process. I am excited to get a chance to look at lots of garden rooms and judge them. I have already sat and talked with the kids about criteria they should use in judging so they can give fair ratings to the rooms they judge. I know people like us here will take this seriously and I like that.

I know that some won't take this seriously and their ratings will be to win the judges prizes, etc. I am glad to see you had to enter in order to judge. This will stop lots of clones from rating rooms, etc. I will say my mom's room entry is one of the empty ones.  :shy: So, if you have to judge "LittleSnowSong's" room, just rate low and move on. She signed up, but has had some real life stuff going on and wasn't able to even begin to build. She was feeling really guilty about it, but she is not in it for any participation awards. The sad thing is, how many people did empty rooms on purpose?

Also, I'm hoping they still surprise us all with participation awards. Maybe they are thinking of the judging awards as participation prizes? But, you still have to do all of the judging to receive those. I wonder if they are being quiet about it after the fiasco last year with how long it took some prizes to be given?

Well, I am off to try to get a few hunts done and start judging. Hugs and gl everybody!  :bighug:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 01:37 PM »

I am sorry, but I don't like other people judging the rooms that aren't staff.  Yes, I know staff is limited, but how random is really random here?  We all have many friends here in VFK and what happens, by chance, we get someone's room that we know.  Do you think the friend will say, "I can't judge this room cause it's my friend's room and if I judge it I would be cheating?", of course not.  They would give their friends 10 stars and move on.  I mean how is that completely fair unless the judges look at the top marked rooms and decide who gets the awards out of those high rooms, but still they are marked high because of friends.  Plus, if people have many, many clones that have joined and they get a clone's room you know they will mark that one high too.  I don't see how it's fair even if it is a slim chance.

:crazy2: Krazy_Kim :crazy2:
I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^

goldengourd

• Gee, I guess I'm not as old as I thought
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 01:45 PM »

Hugs to your mom, and tell her not to worry. Most of the emptish ones I've seen look that way, they had intended to do a room, put in a few pieces and didn't get back to finish it in time.

Good for you to help your kids have some idea of what criteria to have in mind. Some of the things I look for: completeness/use of space (some of the rooms might have been really cute if they had used a smaller room with same amount of items rather than that oversized grand room), visual balance & flow, focal point(s), theme and do the items support it, and is there something extra/special/little surprises.

I've seen a lot of good room, also. Maybe even a winner or two.
-PotOfGoldWench

goldengourd

• Bat Magic
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 01:49 PM »

I am sorry, but I don't like other people judging the rooms that aren't staff.  Yes, I know staff is limited, but how random is really random here?  We all have many friends here in VFK and what happens, by chance, we get someone's room that we know.  Do you think the friend will say, "I can't judge this room cause it's my friend's room and if I judge it I would be cheating?", of course not.  They would give their friends 10 stars and move on.  I mean how is that completely fair unless the judges look at the top marked rooms and decide who gets the awards out of those high rooms, but still they are marked high because of friends.  Plus, if people have many, many clones that have joined and they get a clone's room you know they will mark that one high too.  I don't see how it's fair even if it is a slim chance.

:crazy2: Krazy_Kim :crazy2:

If only one or two ppl vote on a room, that would matter more. But theoritically, your vote is one of many.
Also, you can't not judge a room. I did get a couple I knew, tried to cancel, left the room, refreshed, and then when I returned to judge rooms it sent me back to that same room.
-PotOfGoldWench

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06 PM »

The main problem I see is that the majority of the players in VFK are kids (IMHO).  I'm not sure how many will take this seriously, but I imagine it will be a small percentage of the total.  Most people are doing a quick and dirty judging of a room and moving on in order to get the prizes. 

I'm walking through each room entirely (if I can get through it).  Similar criteria as Golden.  One room I almost couldn't get into.  Took a TON of clicking around in order just to enter the room.  Some people obviously didn't test their rooms.  After awhile, alot of the rooms are looking similar.

Don't think we have to worry about clones.  Having other people judge rooms should balance everything out.  I'd like to know the final tally of judges who have judged our room, and our average score.  That would be interesting to see.  I just feel that most people won't be taking this seriously...like us NOBS ppl are.  They will be trying to get prizes as quickly as possible.

FLAME  <<--- :notme:

PrincessWendyBird

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 02:07 PM »

Well, just a little update, my mom's room does not show as a contest room anymore. She also can not judge other rooms. So, maybe as they catch empty rooms, they are removing them from the contest. Not sure about the rooms with a pink couch in them.  :uhuh:

At least my mom doesn't feel so guilty now.  :lolg:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 02:46 PM »

Ok....shocked is what I am  :ahh:

I "skim" read only half of these posts in this thread...will have to go back later as I feel the sudden urge to go and judge some of these rooms.   And yes, going to do while in shock mode!  :rofl1:

Tigerbella

• Or maybe I just watched too much tv as a kid...
    I love LAG.. I build for it
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 03:03 PM »

So...Do you ever hate when your words come back to haunt you? lol  Mine did big time!  :laugh2: I kept saying I was just SO glad I wasn't a judge.  :uhuh:That'll larn me as they say! lol 

I am enjoying seeing most of the rooms, but really hate this lag.  In about three hours I've only done 27 rooms because of the lag. (Of course that wasn't even continuous since I had to take Faith to get her braces adjusted since she got her splint off of her teeth today).  At least it gave my computer a rest. lol

I think on the criteria, I am trying to see (on the rooms that look like someone tried);) what their theme is and try to judge by that.  If they have something unique like the checker board I saw, then I'm apt to grade them a little higher.  If they have a spectacular room, I look for all of the ideas in there, but in one case, since I knew someone else had already obviously done that particularly big 'idea', I graded a point down.  I know we all use other ideas to give us ideas, in my case when I saw the Mona Lisa done last year, I then used white bags from the mine ride to make a skull and crossbones...not another Mona Lisa. lol  (And, no I haven't even gotten to Funny's room yet and yes that room is awesome too) ;). lol Just the kind of criteria I judge on.  Also, if I suspect it was a kid or young teen who might have done the room, I might give them a point extra for effort. 

So far except for the Easter themed rooms and Valentine's rooms, everyone seems to be sticking to the garden theme.  At least most people seemed to have listened to that. lol But, then again except for the 'If you are a redneck' room, I haven't run across any rooms with just a sofa in it.  :laugh2: And, of course I had to laugh at that room!;)

Well back to judging....Now when did this judging run out?.....

Kim

lisuhut

• When is a queue not a queue?
  • Snowman Magic
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 03:30 PM »

Hi
Well after seeing such beautiful rooms here on KNOBS , i kept wondering why i had bothered to enter , as mine is no way that good , but i wanted to enter a competition for a change
Now i have seen some of the other rooms , i am not so worried ,  now i feel better about my room Lol
Good luck everybody
Lisu x

goldengourd

• Bat Magic
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 03:53 PM »

<<In the final analysis, the ratings you give a room will be weighted based on how high your design is scored by other judges. If your design is getting all 10's, then your judging will be given more weight than if you were getting all 1's! >>

Just noticed this. Interesting, so those that did those empty rooms just for the prize and then run through judging just for the prize, their votes will count less. And conversely, those that have a lot of design knowledge, their votes will count more.
-PotOfGoldWench

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 04:11 PM »

<<In the final analysis, the ratings you give a room will be weighted based on how high your design is scored by other judges. If your design is getting all 10's, then your judging will be given more weight than if you were getting all 1's! >>

Just noticed this. Interesting, so those that did those empty rooms just for the prize and then run through judging just for the prize, their votes will count less. And conversely, those that have a lot of design knowledge, their votes will count more.

Exactly!  I like that alot.   

I also grade on technical issues, too.  Like if something that is trying to be hidden isn't quite hidden enough, I ding the room.  I've reached 50 rooms now.  A LOT of those were garbage where people obviously didn't even try.  So it's been sailing along pretty quickly.  I try not to spend alot of time in each room.  If it doesn't 'hit' me right away, chances are it won't.  I don't like to go 'looking for the wow'.  Some rooms are just impossible to walk in.  Some rooms you aren't sure where you're at.  Some rooms, you're not sure WHERE to walk (which means you're not sure if you've seen the entire room).  Some rooms gave me a good belly laugh.  LOL.  In return, they received 1 star ;)

VFK obviously really wanted people to stick to a 'garden theme', too.

This is definitely something I'm going to space out over a few days. 

Adding:  I like that they've removed alot of the titles from the descriptions.  They missed some, but most have been removed.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 04:17 PM »

The descriptions are helpful, and I'm glad they are anonymous.

FLAME  <<--- :notme:

Earlier, they were not anonymous.  I think VFK changed that.  The first few rooms I did, did have the players title, box above the description.

The sad thing is, how many people did empty rooms on purpose?

My point EXACTLY!  

Have to share about 1 room I saw.  The player put up a chalkboard at the front of the room.  It said "Dear Judges, I am sorry that I didn't get to finish my room.  I got to busy in real."   Probably not word for word, something like that.
I thought that was sweet.  And just showed pure honesty.  The player truly tried, as there was a lot of layout done already.

I'm walking through each room entirely (if I can get through it).  Similar criteria as Golden.  One room I almost couldn't get into.  Took a TON of clicking around in order just to enter the room.  Some people obviously didn't test their rooms.  After awhile, alot of the rooms are looking similar.

I'd like to know the final tally of judges who have judged our room, and our average score.  That would be interesting to see.  I just feel that most people won't be taking this seriously...like us NOBS ppl are.  They will be trying to get prizes as quickly as possible.

FLAME  <<--- :notme:

I completely agree.  I WANT to be able to see the whole room, if I can too.  There were a few rooms that I was blocked.  One had a garden gate that I couldn't get past and one had a hedge maze blocking.  There was 1 room that had a spring ride-around the entire garden room, that was very nice.  My virtual tired feet could take a break, and be able to view the entire room.  I enjoyed that, it didn't lag me at all either.  

Might cut down on the lag some if you judge in single-user mode also as a tip.   ;)

I'd like to see some stats as well.  Wishful thinking probably though.  :(

I'm going to take my time on this.  It will take more than a few days to even try and finish judging.  
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 04:36 PM »

I like that I am getting to giggle on a few rooms.  One using the grand garden room laid out dark grass square, then light grass square, then just the dirt.  They repeated this for the entire room.  Hmm, since there were no flowers, was this a "grass' gardening room, or a dirt one?  :lolg:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 05:25 PM »

I like that I am getting to giggle on a few rooms.  One using the grand garden room laid out dark grass square, then light grass square, then just the dirt.  They repeated this for the entire room.  Hmm, since there were no flowers, was this a "grass' gardening room, or a dirt one?  :lolg:

Haven't seen that one....but did see an all dirt grand garden room with a few flowers thrown in  :lolg:

I've seen about 15 on my spare; 6 on my main (woot for 2 computers side by side although the 1 is slow.)  Some of the rooms are very creative; some just thrown together. Some obviously made by children (or I would hope that was the case.)  I've been trying to judge each of these keeping in mind what I think is the approximate age in addition to the room itself.  If I think a child did the room and it looks like they made an effort then I give them more credit than those who (no matter what age) did what looks like throw together type just for prize.  Not an easy task.

I just saw a Football field (the moving one) with a garden in it.  Saw "FUN" at the end of description....wasn't me just so everyone knows.  Whoever it was though had some cute ideas.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:50 PM by funfly »

PrincessWendyBird

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 06:35 PM »

I have to say this is really fun. I have seen a few really awesome gardens. I also saw a few really creative ideas I may use later when building. Of course, there have been a few where a few things were thrown in the room. But, this is cool to be able to see so many garden rooms. I even ran into .It in one room where I could not get off the little ride.  :lolg: :sos:

OK, off to send out King's in game party announcements while he works on finishing the kitchen for the new floors tomorrow. At this point, my foot matches the blue/grey color of the new floor... :lolg: :sur:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 12:23 PM »

Doing more rooms today.  Lots of grass and dirt.  ROFL

I did want to get a ruling on teleporters.  I know some lead back to the same room, but I've had several that took me to different rooms.  Here is VFKs response to my help report about that:

"Thank you for your report.  If the teleporter which exits the room is an integral part of the theme, not related to a ride, you can use your discretion.    However, the judging should be based on the room that is entered."

There you have it.  Just the first room is judged.  Kindof not completely happy with their response.  I feel that if someone didn't follow the rules, they should be disqualified.

Also, someone came across a room that had the quest snail in it.  That prize came out after the time for building your room had passed...  :hmmmm:

goldengourd

• Bat Magic
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 12:47 PM »

OK, off to send out King's in game party announcements while he works on finishing the kitchen for the new floors tomorrow.
Okay, off topic, but this made me smile. No party for you until you get ALL your kitchen chores done, young man!!
-PotOfGoldWench
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up