VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Annual Sandcastle Competition  (Read 10118 times)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
Second Annual Sandcastle Competition
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:35 PM »

From the VFK Homepage:

:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
Re: Second Annual Sandcastle Competition
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:31 PM »

thanks astro!

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
Second Annual Sandcastle competition - Rules and Prize List
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:26 AM »

You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
Re: Second Annual Sandcastle competition - Rules and Prize List
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:47 AM »

:wtf?:  Now they say we can use ANY ROOM and EVEN USE LAST YEAR'S PIECES?  Now where does that lead us?  To having peeps simply register their last year's entry!!   :td:   Don't see how that's very fair.  Especially if they placed last year.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:03 AM »

:wtf?:  Now they say we can use ANY ROOM and EVEN USE LAST YEAR'S PIECES?  Now where does that lead us?  To having peeps simply register their last year's entry!!   :td:   Don't see how that's very fair.  Especially if they placed last year.

Exactly.  My heart just isn't into it this year.  Quite honestly watch ... same peeps will sweep the contest, same as years prior.    :yawn:  It makes ALL these sort of contests and competitions.... just not fun anymore.  I may find some eggs to make some stuff out of though, that may help the cause.   :notme:

My opinion only, sorry.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42 PM »

:wtf?:  Now they say we can use ANY ROOM and EVEN USE LAST YEAR'S PIECES?  Now where does that lead us?  To having peeps simply register their last year's entry!!   :td:   Don't see how that's very fair.  Especially if they placed last year.

Exactly.  My heart just isn't into it this year.  Quite honestly watch ... same peeps will sweep the contest, same as years prior.    :yawn:  It makes ALL these sort of contests and competitions.... just not fun anymore.  I may find some eggs to make some stuff out of though, that may help the cause.   :notme:

My opinion only, sorry.

I agree with you both...

Any room --ok; some of last year's pieces -- ok.  However, they should NOT allow a prior winning room to be entered into any other contest - ever! There should be some type of rule that you need to use new pieces as well.  So, IF we as players get to be the judges again, WE need to judge according to the pieces used.  If I get to play "judge", I will award more points for those using the newer pieces - I will not take away for using old pieces, but the rooms with most of or only older pieces will not get as high a score from me. And if I saw it last time (and remember it as a winning room) they will get a zero this time around just on principle.  If someone is not going to put any effort into building a new room for this contest, I feel they shouldn't enter.

I'm sure alot of the same people will win as prior contests. That seems to happen with many contests/events.
Not everyone has lots of time available to build these 'well-thought-out, lavish, very full rooms that win.  I already figure I won't win for many reasons....but, that won't stop me from building something for this contest.  Mainly because I like to build when I can and I wish to participate in events.  But, I can see how it would discourage others.

So, I'll be looking for Astro's egg room... :lolg:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
Designers are the Best Judges!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:46 PM »

From the VFK Homepage:

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:54 PM »

I agree with all of the above ladies! I hopped on to see what was happening in game. Usually I get excited about building competitions, but I feel like give us some time to actually build something. We have a crazy weekend ahead, with Adam's mom flying in for her uncle's funeral. Also, the sand dollar pieces are sooo high priced.

I love to build, but I might be sitting this one out.  :sos:

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:52 PM »

I agree with all of the above ladies! I hopped on to see what was happening in game. Usually I get excited about building competitions, but I feel like give us some time to actually build something. We have a crazy weekend ahead, with Adam's mom flying in for her uncle's funeral. Also, the sand dollar pieces are sooo high priced.

+10 to all that you all have already said...

And nothing irks me more then when VFK doesn't PROOF READ their cut and paste jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which date: Sunday August 8, or Saturday August 8....sheesh people!  HELLO???? Neither of those days are August the 8th folks.

I have half a mind to go ahead and enter eggs like Astro.  Or maybe something worse.....moohaahaa.

Nah, I got better things to do.

HUGS to all....

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:44 PM »

+10 to all that you all have already said...

And nothing irks me more then when VFK doesn't PROOF READ their cut and paste jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which date: Sunday August 8, or Saturday August 8....sheesh people!  HELLO???? Neither of those days are August the 8th folks.

I have half a mind to go ahead and enter eggs like Astro.  Or maybe something worse.....moohaahaa.

Nah, I got better things to do.

HUGS to all....

They did fix the date on their main page....

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 08:51 AM »

Well, since rules state we could build 1 room per character...I built more than 1 room.

I really had fun building these rooms, love the fact that others will get to see them as they judge. I'll be adding porters to our connection room in the future for friends who wish to visit as well.

For all of the problems/complaints that VFK does get on things...I can still say that I enjoy building there and having fun with friends who come to play, visit, and chat!   :bighug:

Good luck to everyone who built!  :clapping: :clap1:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
Judging the Judges - Second Annual Sandcaste Competition 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 01:23 PM »

From the VFK Homepage:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 01:32 PM »

Not sure how important but might want to have room's open to everyone if you entered into the contest.

Thanks Astro for the judging update info!

UPDATE:

Judging has started.  I did about 20 rooms. It told me I had completed them.

HOWEVER, I refreshed and logged back in and clicked the Judge Room button and it gave me more.  I think we can judge up to 40 rooms.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:30 PM by funfly »

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
Start Judging again!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 03:37 PM »

** if you started, you need to begin again **

In-Game Blast:

Due to an issue in our new Epic Ages beta client we are going to restart the Sandcastle Judging.  All judging up to this point will be reset, so if you have already judged you will need to judge again.  Thanks everyone for being part of our Sandcastle Competition and thank for testing our Epic Ages beta client!

I may not start until later tonight, until they can get the bugs worked out.   :)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained

From the VFK Homepage:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 07:09 PM »

From the front page again:   JUDGE ANOTHER SET OF 40 ROOMS

Even More Judging the Judges - Second Annual Sandcastle Competition 2011

There have been a lot of suggestions that the judging be expanded to include more rooms!

There have also been a lot of suggestions to include some additional categories in the judging becuase of the enormous amount of creativity shown in the design of the rooms!

Building Sandcastles are all about the expression of creativity and the development of themes, settings and ambience, so categories have been added to the judging to especially include these elements of design!

So, what could be better than to combine these two great ideas and expand the Sandcastle Competition Judging!

For those who would like to have the chance to judge more of these amazing rooms, and also have more categories to choose from in their judging, just select the Judge option under the Menu and there will be 40 more rooms to judge!

As before, for each 10 rooms that are judged, there will be an award for judging! This will make it possible to receive 2 of each of the special judging awards!

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 05:57 AM »

From the front page again:   JUDGE ANOTHER SET OF 40 ROOMS

Even More Judging the Judges - Second Annual Sandcastle Competition 2011

There have been a lot of suggestions that the judging be expanded to include more rooms!

There have also been a lot of suggestions to include some additional categories in the judging becuase of the enormous amount of creativity shown in the design of the rooms!

Building Sandcastles are all about the expression of creativity and the development of themes, settings and ambience, so categories have been added to the judging to especially include these elements of design!

So, what could be better than to combine these two great ideas and expand the Sandcastle Competition Judging!

For those who would like to have the chance to judge more of these amazing rooms, and also have more categories to choose from in their judging, just select the Judge option under the Menu and there will be 40 more rooms to judge!

As before, for each 10 rooms that are judged, there will be an award for judging! This will make it possible to receive 2 of each of the special judging awards!

:bm:   :bm:  :bm:   :bm:   :bm:    :bm:   :bm:   :bm:

Anyone else have a real problem with this??? (Probably not).

I judged on myself and on a clone (yes, I entered; after having my arm twisted by Astro, hehe).  My daughter judged (yes, she begged me to let her enter her room) -- these were all done using the old form.  This morning I log on Hero to do his judging: and of course I see a totally different rating form.

Sorry, but this just STINKS!!!  There is NO justification in my mind for changing the judging categories/ratings system with 24 hours left to go.  I am sure MOST people did their judging already, using the 2-category system.  NOW they are gonna change the form and allow more judging?  NOW that are gonna add a category for "use of color and fantasy"????  Ummm...there is no color in sand castles, sand is BROWN.  These judging criteria should have been released BEFORE PEOPLE MADE THEIR CASTLES!!!!!  <--- so they could consider "use of color and fantasy" whilst building?

And, OK, the can change the rating form mid-stream, but they can't add a button that says "this is blinkin' storage room and should have NEVER been allowed to be entered in this SAND CASTLE competition" -- come on!

Yet another HUGE let-down from VFK; this is just really, really awful in my opinion!  But of course, I am sure I will be in the minority; reasonable-ness seems to be in the minority, which is why VFK continues to mess things up!

SIGH. 

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up