VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Annual Sandcastle Competition  (Read 10119 times)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
Re: Second Annual Sandcastle Competition
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 08:34 AM »

:bm:   :bm:  :bm:   :bm:   :bm:    :bm:   :bm:   :bm:

Anyone else have a real problem with this??? (Probably not).

I judged on myself and on a clone (yes, I entered; after having my arm twisted by Astro, hehe).  My daughter judged (yes, she begged me to let her enter her room) -- these were all done using the old form.  This morning I log on Hero to do his judging: and of course I see a totally different rating form.

Sorry, but this just STINKS!!!  There is NO justification in my mind for changing the judging categories/ratings system with 24 hours left to go.  I am sure MOST people did their judging already, using the 2-category system.  NOW they are gonna change the form and allow more judging?  NOW that are gonna add a category for "use of color and fantasy"????  Ummm...there is no color in sand castles, sand is BROWN.  These judging criteria should have been released BEFORE PEOPLE MADE THEIR CASTLES!!!!!  <--- so they could consider "use of color and fantasy" whilst building?

And, OK, the can change the rating form mid-stream, but they can't add a button that says "this is blinkin' storage room and should have NEVER been allowed to be entered in this SAND CASTLE competition" -- come on!

Yet another HUGE let-down from VFK; this is just really, really awful in my opinion!  But of course, I am sure I will be in the minority; reasonable-ness seems to be in the minority, which is why VFK continues to mess things up!

SIGH.  

Well seriously .It, why miss out on a shirt and pin that isn't tradeable right?  Enter people!

I do!   :waveh:    Agreed!  It is NOT fair for VFK to change the judging criteria in the middle of a competition for petes sake!  

I feel very sorry for those players that put their heart and soul into this competition.  And built based on the ORIGINAL THEME AND RULES!   I hate to say it, but I am glad my heart wasn't into it this year... and I am glad I didn't bust my rear for hours on end for this.  I am perfectly content with just... entering.  That is just a terrible update.  They should have just considered it for next year!!

I haven't been around, so I haven't even had a chance to look at the new judging form.  I was done, and well ... thought it was done!   I guess I didn't even realize that VFK had changed it!  I just assumed they were just allowing more rooms to be judged was all, I just scanned the new post.    Not a change in form and criteria.  wow, just wow VFK.   :uhuh2:  
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 03:28 PM »

I haven't read the replys here yet so if I repeat someone I am sorry, but wanted to say last night I judged all the way up to the Host Game time and it was two selections and then later that night I started again and noticed new selections.  I see that it was requested by people for new selections so I went to Enigma during the closing party and asked if they could make it 0 to 10 instead of 1 to 10 for those people that make bogus storage rooms to get credit and she said, "No, it is 1 to 10 not 0 to 10!" and that was all I got from her.  So people can make new voting selections and get accepted, but I ask for a 0 to be placed in the scale for bogus rooms and I got a sharp no?  I mean come on, we have 0's on the wheel for spinning after completing puzzles and that is suppose to be fair after we do all that work completing those things?

Thanks for listening!  :rantsw:

:crazy2: Krazy_Kim :crazy2:
I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 06:16 PM »

I haven't read the replys here yet so if I repeat someone I am sorry, but wanted to say last night I judged all the way up to the Host Game time and it was two selections and then later that night I started again and noticed new selections.  I see that it was requested by people for new selections so I went to Enigma during the closing party and asked if they could make it 0 to 10 instead of 1 to 10 for those people that make bogus storage rooms to get credit and she said, "No, it is 1 to 10 not 0 to 10!" and that was all I got from her.  So people can make new voting selections and get accepted, but I ask for a 0 to be placed in the scale for bogus rooms and I got a sharp no?  I mean come on, we have 0's on the wheel for spinning after completing puzzles and that is suppose to be fair after we do all that work completing those things?

Well it's probably too late to tell you this now, but when you get those rooms, you don't HAVE to choose any rating.  Just click the submit button.  It counts.  In my mind, that is giving them a zero score.

Honestly, just when I thought I might be ready to give VFK another chance, and just play with a different mindset now -- they have to go and blow it -- AGAIN.

I am so there with you Krazy, they can change the form like this mid-way through the judging (!) but they can't figure out how to "eject" rooms that should never been submitted.  I suppose the funniest "junk" room I saw was one with a tower piece in the middle of the room, and then a pile of eggs off to the side, LOL.  Made me chuckle out loud in real.

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

Tigerbella

• Or maybe I just watched too much tv as a kid...
    I love LAG.. I build for it
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 02:41 AM »

I do think they need to catch up to themselves a bit better lol, but at least they did mention that you would be able to get two sets of the judging prizes as a result if you had done both types of judging.  Of course now I want to see what the prizes are. ;)
At least I did get it done last night, even though I got home late. (whew)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained

From the VFK Homepage:

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic

From the VFK Homepage:

VFK continues to amaze me. Does anyone really believe that there were "thousands and thousands" of rooms to be judged? Would it kill them to be just be honest here?  Why exaggerate so much?  Oh maybe so it's more believable that they take SO LONG to come up with the results!  Certainly it takes a week (reportedly map staff had given out that time frame) to tabulate thousands and thousands....whereas a few hundred, they would have no excuse for taking so long.

It's a shame really.  It not like we (or at least ME) wouldn't accept that there were "several hundred"...but "thousands and thousands", come on!  :hmm:

.it <---and that's no BS

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained

VFK continues to amaze me. Does anyone really believe that there were "thousands and thousands" of rooms to be judged? Would it kill them to be just be honest here?  Why exaggerate so much?  Oh maybe so it's more believable that they take SO LONG to come up with the results!  Certainly it takes a week (reportedly map staff had given out that time frame) to tabulate thousands and thousands....whereas a few hundred, they would have no excuse for taking so long.

It's a shame really.  It not like we (or at least ME) wouldn't accept that there were "several hundred"...but "thousands and thousands", come on!  :hmm:

.it <---and that's no BS

If the clones were out in force.... yep, I could probably see it happening.  Could easily see the thousand at least. 

Remember, they didn't announce that everyone could receive duplicate judging prizes, until the middle of the judging was in progress.  So clone rooms were entered from the beginning.  I can speak about the clones, because I've seen it myself when judging.  Storage rooms, cafe, salon, log-in, garden rooms (from last competition) ... list goes on.  Those are NOT sand castle entries.

The results issue... hehe well... they added all that extra criteria don't ya know.  So to have to sift through that mess now... who knows how long that will take. 

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 01:55 PM »

To me, I guess I am surprised some of you are surprised.  VFK always messes up, especially with contests.

The only thing I am worrying about, as silly as it may sound, is that that aquarium room comes out on top, since I didn't get to see it in the second time around, and would have surely given it all ten stars I could.  For those who would like to see the room, or just refresh your memory: http://www.vmknobs.com/index.php?topic=8148.0
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 03:49 PM »

To me, I guess I am surprised some of you are surprised.  VFK always messes up, especially with contests.

The only thing I am worrying about, as silly as it may sound, is that that aquarium room comes out on top, since I didn't get to see it in the second time around, and would have surely given it all ten stars I could.  For those who would like to see the room, or just refresh your memory: http://www.vmknobs.com/index.php?topic=8148.0

I'm not really surprised. But was glad to be able to judge more rooms. First round of rooms I had at least 10 "junk/storage" romms (one even had on the "i" room something along of the lines of "didn't build, just wanted to judge" )

The second round of rooms, I had fewer "junk" rooms.

Maybe they'll keep the rooms judged separate from "first round" and "second round" and award to more builders...I don't know.  Either way, I enjoyed the building and enjoyed seeing different rooms; and judging those that were chosen for me.

I was hoping to get the aquarium room to judge, but never did.  I would have given it 10s

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
8/12 Judging awards are in your inventory!
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 05:04 PM »

Never got the aquarium room either to judge.    :??:

But.. just got home .... and happy to see we do have our judging prizes though!  Yay!    :clap1:     I think they are fantastic!

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23 PM »

Agreed! The prizes are fantastic.  I was having some fun tonight with the boat bench.

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 07:31 PM »

Agreed! The prizes are fantastic.  I was having some fun tonight with the boat bench.

SOME fun??  ROFL  You were teasing the heck out of poor Bubbles!!  :rofl1:

I like the judging prizes too.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 05:20 PM »

Agreed! The prizes are fantastic.  I was having some fun tonight with the boat bench.

>:D :rofl1:

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 07:15 PM »

I should mention that Shell did some teasing of Bubbles after you left.  One back and forth had me :rofl1: but I could not say anything or I would have spoiled it!  Bubbles kept asking where Shell was and at one point said "I can't see you".  To which Shell replied: "Maybe you should try a refresh".   :roflmao: :rofl1: :laugh2:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 07:23 PM »

I should mention that Shell did some teasing of Bubbles after you left.  One back and forth had me :rofl1: but I could not say anything or I would have spoiled it!  Bubbles kept asking where Shell was and at one point said "I can't see you".  To which Shell replied: "Maybe you should try a refresh".   :roflmao: :rofl1: :laugh2:

:rofl1: Well, Shell and I did share a bottle of 'grrrr.ape drink' before I left  - it was refreshing...   :rofl1:

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 03:55 PM »

Well it's probably too late to tell you this now, but when you get those rooms, you don't HAVE to choose any rating.  Just click the submit button.  It counts.  In my mind, that is giving them a zero score.

Honestly, just when I thought I might be ready to give VFK another chance, and just play with a different mindset now -- they have to go and blow it -- AGAIN.

I am so there with you Krazy, they can change the form like this mid-way through the judging (!) but they can't figure out how to "eject" rooms that should never been submitted.  I suppose the funniest "junk" room I saw was one with a tower piece in the middle of the room, and then a pile of eggs off to the side, LOL.  Made me chuckle out loud in real.

I tried once before to not click a star, but it kept bringing me back to the same room until I clicked something so I didn't try that this year.  It would of been nice to give zeros to a start room I got that only had in it this year's opened Christmas presents and Easter Basket.  :doh:  Also I LOVE the ones that say they worked so long on it or it took them like 5 hours to do and it only has a few pieces in it not making anything.  :hmm:

Never got the aquarium room either to judge.    :??:

But.. just got home .... and happy to see we do have our judging prizes though!  Yay!    :clap1:     I think they are fantastic!

I must me the only one that doesn't like these prizes.  I like last year's, that I never got, but of course I get this year's and was disappointed with them.  I mean the boat isn't even lying right, but oh well.

I never got the aquarium room either, but if I did I would of given it tens as well.  I probably didn't get it so I won't get a best judge pin lol.  I did get a room that had a waterfall in it made of sand and blue flowers that got our ten vote cause it was so creative.  However, I must apologize to some people because we had two minutes before the end of the day with 6 more rooms to get to 40 rooms so we just gave out ones to rooms (even when really, really pretty) so we could finish because it said in the Homepage judging would end at closing, but it continued after hours and we got sooooo mad at that.  Would of liked to known so we wouldn't of had to rush.  :madder:

I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up