VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dirty host hunt deeds...done dirt cheap  (Read 9769 times)

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Dirty host hunt deeds...done dirt cheap
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:12 AM »

I've seen alot lately regarding host hunts and the unethical ways people use to try to win the prize...while trying to make others non-competitive.  Here are a few examples:

1.  2 clones in a room, both belonging to the same person (or working in pairs with a friend).  One clone starts a conversation with people/persons in the room.  While the one clone is chatting people up, the other clone (who has remained quiet and is ready to say the correct line when the host enters the room) ends up winning because the other people in the room were talking.

2.  Scenario:  a 'seasoned' player in a room with other players.  Occasionally, they say "I found HOST _ Dragon" (the wrong way to say the line) during the silence.  I believe this is to try to make others in the room (possibly newbies) think that is the correct way to say the line.  Nice.

3.  Friend requests or repeated trade requests.  Removes your cursor from the text box when you get a trade request from someone else.  If they're lucky, you will be busy fiddling around closing the trade request box and returning your cursor to the text box...in the meantime they win (sometimes used in conjunction with another one of their clones or friends).  I give another player ONE chance to NOT repeat a trade request.  After that, I consider it harassment...and they are reported.

4.  'Crowding'.  I've seen this happen a couple of times in the past couple of months.  Scenario:  a couple/few players in a room waiting for host.  One player goes over to where another is standing and either stands beside them, stands face-to-face with them, or stands 'inside them'...many times following them if the other person walks away from them.  Since this is becoming a 'regular' thing with certain players, Flame will be using screen shots from now on and issuing a single warning to the person to back away...before reporting them for harassment.  Ironically, I read a post elsewhere recently where a person there talks about their kids playing and how they've been 'attacked' by someones son?  First of all...I have no idea why they would think it's someones son.  Why not a great aunt or uncle?  LOL.  Better:  how ironic that #2 above and 'crowding' are both used by this person (and one of those times was used against MY son)!  Fortunately, Flame is a PRO at screenshots. :) In the future, I will be submitting them to VFK along with a reporting of the player/clone showing the intimidation/harassment doled out by others during the hunt.  Their excuse should prove interesting, I'm sure.  The hypocrisy I've seen elsewhere on the internet...by a couple/few people...boggles my mind sometimes....  So glad this is a NO B.S. board.  FYI:  Hero is given very strict instructions when playing the hunt:  no friends requests, no trade requests, no talking to ANYONE else unless we know them AND he asks us first, and once he is in a room he is not allowed to move.  He isn't even allowed to click on others.  Most of the time he flies around the kingdom constantly during the hunt, though.  If he has a problem, he is instructed to come to us immediately and we handle it.  He knows that if he breaks these rules that he will no longer be allowed to play.  Needless to say...he's very good at 'keeping to our code' ;)  I think more people should monitor thier kids more closely ingame and off game.  I feel alot of the problems in game are caused by kids whose parents don't monitor them like they should.

5.  Purposely creating lag.  Scenario:  a few/some people in a room.  Some fairies are there.  Someone asks them to turn off fairy.  They agree.  Right after that happens, someone else in the room turns ON fairy.  They refuse to turn it off.  When asked why, the answer: "strategy".  Nice. Was in one room the other day: a fairy came in, was asked to turn off fairy by someone in the room.  They turned it off and turned it right back on again.  When asked "why?", they responded "lag generator".  So there's people  PURPOSELY creating lag in rooms during the hunt in order to either force people who suffer from bad lag to leave the room...or to DC them.  Also seen people fire up the new Rad magic or the old Q magics often during the hunt to try to accomplish that purpose as well.

These are the things I've seen during hunts lately.  Anyone care to add to the 'dirty deeds' list?

Flamanar
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:49 AM by flamanar »

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
Re: Dirty host hunt deeds...done dirt cheap
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:37 PM »

Since the day month of waiting and dreaming for Hosts in VMK I have never been a fan of this style of events.  

Perhaps they should have a contest where players built a room with teleporters and an exit room---for a host style teleporter event.  The contest prize would be your room would be used for the event.  

Even if they have to limit  or edit the # of items in the room etc for lag.  

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:46 PM by Happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Moderator of This Board
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:08 PM »

King and I do not like Host Hunts. I know some people like this style of event - we do not. We already have a limited time in game, I don't want to spend it standing quietly waiting to call out I found HOST_Dragon. I would love to see ONE Host prize per month and have it available through multiple ways, Host Hunt or Host Room Event. I know many people don't agree with me on this, but I would rather not spend my time in game doing all of this "busy work". There is enough of that with mazes and hunts and crosswords.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Indian Headdress and I was hoping for a scarecrow to add a room to my "Wizard of Oz" ride, but I just can't spend that time on hunts. As many of you know, we have been trying so hard just to get on and keep up with quests, let alone being able to see friends like we want. We also seem to miss every hunt!  :lolg: Just sharing our opinion of what we'd like to see diffferent in Host Events.  :)
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:02 PM »

King and I do not like Host Hunts. I know some people like this style of event - we do not. We already have a limited time in game, I don't want to spend it standing quietly waiting to call out I found HOST_Dragon. I would love to see ONE Host prize per month and have it available through multiple ways, Host Hunt or Host Room Event. I know many people don't agree with me on this, but I would rather not spend my time in game doing all of this "busy work". There is enough of that with mazes and hunts and crosswords.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Indian Headdress and I was hoping for a scarecrow to add a room to my "Wizard of Oz" ride, but I just can't spend that time on hunts. As many of you know, we have been trying so hard just to get on and keep up with quests, let alone being able to see friends like we want. We also seem to miss every hunt!  :lolg: Just sharing our opinion of what we'd like to see diffferent in Host Events.  :)

Wendy: +1

I hate the host hunts the way they currently are.  How much more boring can they be?  Stand silent in a room for hours...and probably be beat out by someone else in the room anyways?  Wow...I LOVE that....NOT!!  LOL.

Varied ways of getting the items would absolutely ROCK. 

Miss spending time with friends, too  :'(

(hugs)

Flamanar

KrazyPete

• Cactus Seat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:06 PM »

I agree. I find host hunts to be extremely boring and I wish they'd come up with something else.

That said, if I win during the Host Hunt it's not unusual for me to go find a friend and try to chat up the people in the room with them. Most of the time it doesn't work... but it's fun trying.  :dance2:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 03:23 PM »

Wow!  I never knew any of this was even happening, Flame ... probably because I'm not usually around for Host Hunts, sadly enough.  :(

BUT, because this is about Host Hunts ...  If I had to choose between VMK's way of "host hunt" events, or VFK's way of Host Hunt though ... I will choose, hands down, VFK for sure!!   :thumb:    WAY more fair in my opinion.  Too many bad memories, and times of being burned and left out, by Hosts in VMK for me.  I will ALWAYS say let the computer choose the winner, over a real live person for sure.   ;)   NO FAVORITES being played at all.  AMEN!  Dreams Month, Pin-Trade Events in VMK --blah need I say more, I seriously could go on forever here.  Egad if I could have those HOURS of my life back for sure!

I have played my fair share of Host Hunts.  If I'm not mistaken they usually go for 2 hours, give or take.  No, it's not fun waiting around for a Host to come around for that long.  And sometimes ... the Host NEVER even shows.  I enjoy Ride-Through Host Events, or Teleporter Host Events.  But, with those .. sometimes lag gets the best of me, and then again I have waited my turn for absolutely nothing, because I crash out - empty handed.  So, I can see pros and cons of ALL Host Events.  I wish there was a happy medium.  

I will also say that I absolutely hated Reverse-Host Hunts.  When the Host would visit Guest Rooms (players rooms) and not Public Rooms.  Not very fun at all to be booted from player rooms, when everyone just wanted a chance to play the event.  Hosts would only visit rooms on the Most Popular Room List, so of course players are left with no choice but to visit some of those rooms -- only to be greeted with a Boot!   :uhuh2:

I've learned that Host items are not meant to be an easy gain, sad but true.  If I could change anything about them, I would say leave the prize for the entire month at least.  Not only will there be more in circulation to be traded for, but a better chance of maybe at least winning one.   :)
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Aurorasparkle

• It is the most wonderful thing in the world to be a mom.
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 05:26 PM »

I don't bother with the host events.  I would love to win the prizes but I'm not willing to just wait and hope they show up.  I sure wish they would come up with other ways to win.

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 06:32 PM »

If find host hunts to boring and not worth the effort. My biggest pet peeve though is the lacking of planning insight. Having a host hunt on a Sunday afternoon when people are trying to do the quest and get the hunt they put up at 11:00pm est.  the night before.

Nothing like having to close down so many windows to get to the next area or quest question. One day I counted no lie 45 windows I had to close while I was taking my characters through the hunt.

I put a character at a spot so another character can jump to them. I was beyond annoyed and sent a report.  Like do you think this is the best time to do this.

And where is Fin and Harmony have not seen them in months.  I guess they are long gone.

What happened to host ride events or teleporter game. These hunt are just a time filler to make it look likethe hosts are doing something.

How about a meet and greet. Like visit a host for five minutes and then go through teleporter to get a prize.

Maybe the host do not feel they can build a good ride does not matter just to do something different.

I think these hunts every other day is way to much too. Because if you miss a piece you can not finish the  picture wthout trading. That is way to much pressure for kids. When they did something like yesterday that have the farthest points to go to with nothing close that is just mean.  I do not enjoy it has much as when they are closer by and you can figure out a pattern of putting a clone in a spot to make it easier. That is fun the challenge, Not flying here and there.

Ok off my soap box  :

There you have it :)

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

wdwdreamin

• This new job of mine has severely cut into my playtime.
  • Teleport Magic
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22 PM »

I don't bother with the host events.  I would love to win the prizes but I'm not willing to just wait and hope they show up.  I sure wish they would come up with other ways to win.

What she said!!
Memories Vow Renewal Ceremony
Sept 24, 2011--Sunset Point @ the Polynesian Resort
Woot!!!  I was a Disney Bride!!!

DreamTulip

• A Yankee Fan in Red Sox Nation
    Pass me something to drink I feel faint...
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Teleport Magic
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:24 PM »

Wow.  I can't believe people are doing those types of things during hunts.  Well of course I believe you Flame lol, but it is upsetting to think people are being that deceiptful over virtual items.  Sigh, didn't we all learn something from the closing of our other Kingdom?  
I agree with all the posts above.  I am grateful this is NoBS and we can comfortably share these types of things.  I also don't like these hunts.  I have "won" some so I am not complaing that I never win and it is unfair, but still I much, much rather have a lot more people win the so called exclusive prizes through the porter type games.  The game should be about less rare collecting and more social fun IMO.  I admit I do have a personal goal of trying to have 1 of each item in game but I really am okay with the fact that I don't nor probably ever will.  It is sad to sign in and not see people hanging out, socializing, and building much these days.  Even the Space Pirate lobby seems to be empty whenever I pop my little self in there.
I also feel, with no proof just feelings, that some of our original cast and crew are no longer a part of VFK.  It just seems different.

~Dream (who is not bashing VFK- I do enjoy it, but it saddens (?) me that it could be so much more)
  You say I'm a wench, like it's a bad thing!
            FaintingForADrinkWench

:pmickey:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30 PM »

Well.  Looks like I struck a nerve.  Someone is dinging my Karma now since I posted this thread.  LOL.  Truth hurts.  No BS.

I also forgot to add the following to my list:

6.  Everyone knows how annoying it is when people come into a room full of people and ask if the Host has been to that room yet.  Usually everyone goes:  :hmm:  LOL.  However, there are people I've seen in the room tell the person that Dragon has already been there, so the person will leave.

7.  I've also seen a person come into a room full of people (or sometimes they are already there) and say that the Host has already been to that room and they had won there earlier...when in reality, Dragon had not visited that room yet.

In response to the person dinging my Karma:  if you're dinging my Karma because I speak the truth, I feel sorry for ya.  An adult would send me a PM and talk to me about what was bothering them. :notme:

Flamanar

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:39 PM »

Astro, I do agree with you about the VFK vs. VMK Host Hunt type of events. The computer deciding the winner was a great idea. As Flame  has shown, they do need to fix the bugs with the program. We have won some Host Hunts also, and I do try to play from time to time. I am sooo happy for friends who win - I hope my post did not take joy away from anyone who has won Host Hunts or plays them to get the goodies. The Host Hunt prizes are really cool items and woot to those who have won.

Dream, I am not sure if it is that some of us are gone, or if many of us are so busy just trying to keep up with mazes, quests, hunts, etc. For example, we have a small group of mules - not nearly as many as on VMK...  :rofl1: :sur: Since real life has us not able to be in game as much, we hop on to keep up with quests and hunts. Of course, after that, there is no time for just having fun with friends or playing some pirates for just the fun of it.

I still think one Host item per month would be a great thing to do. I love VFK, just not the Host Hunts so much.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 10:59 PM »

Astro, I do agree with you about the VFK vs. VMK Host Hunt type of events. The computer deciding the winner was a great idea. As Flame  has shown, they do need to fix the bugs with the program. We have won some Host Hunts also, and I do try to play from time to time. I am sooo happy for friends who win - I hope my post did not take joy away from anyone who has won Host Hunts or plays them to get the goodies. The Host Hunt prizes are really cool items and woot to those who have won.

Dream, I am not sure if it is that some of us are gone, or if many of us are so busy just trying to keep up with mazes, quests, hunts, etc. For example, we have a small group of mules - not nearly as many as on VMK...  :rofl1: :sur: Since real life has us not able to be in game as much, we hop on to keep up with quests and hunts. Of course, after that, there is no time for just having fun with friends or playing some pirates for just the fun of it.

I still think one Host item per month would be a great thing to do. I love VFK, just not the Host Hunts so much.

I am at a disadvantage here.  I wasn't active on VMK...just a loner with some stuff in their room.  I did the NPCs, and that was about it.  So....I have nothing to compare VFK to.

I do agree 100% that the computer should be deciding winners.  That takes any 'favoritism' out of the mix and avoids conflicts between players (not saying people won't still cry 'not fair'  :hmm: ).

It's been very difficult to keep up lately...no doubt.  VFK released everything all at once...and it didn't let up!  Halloween went right into the car quest and scavenger hunts for the mural pieces every other night.  Then Sunday quests, host hunts, mazes... :sur:  Actually, thanks Wendy for reminding me of the mazes.  I honestly forgot about them!   :shy:  No time to build.  Little time to just hang with friends.  Goodness.  The 'social' part of the game has suffered lately, I'm afraid...at least for the Flames.  Seems like all I've been doing lately is storing things...sheesh.  I'm grateful for this small 'lull' in the action the past couple days so that we've been able to spend some time with friends and...you know...NOT DOING ANYTHING.  LOL.  Nice little breather.

1 host item a month...that would rock.  I think most people agree the current host hunt is painful.  I was in a room tonight and people were complaining about how boring it is.  And they're right.  Surely there's something else better than the current host hunt.  Hopefully the geniuses at VFK will surprise us soon with something else that will actually be fun and entertaining :)

Flamanar

KrazyPete

• Cactus Seat
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:40 AM »

6.  Everyone knows how annoying it is when people come into a room full of people and ask if the Host has been to that room yet.  Usually everyone goes:  :hmm:  LOL.  However, there are people I've seen in the room tell the person that Dragon has already been there, so the person will leave.

Hi, my name is Pete and I'm an awful human being. I think I've done this too. I'm the smart alec that says "Yep, you just missed them. Now, run along."  :waveh:

RosieC

• I am getting older  :lolg:
    It comes in pints!?!
    I'm gettin' one!!
  • Safari Room
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 09:46 AM »

Hi, my name is Pete and I'm an awful human being. I think I've done this too. I'm the smart alec that says "Yep, you just missed them. Now, run along."  :waveh:

Caught red handed!!    :lolg: :lolp:
Sweet maiden of the golden ale.

PintsWench
You say I'm a Wench like it's a bad thing!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 01:49 PM »

ROFL!   :rofl1: :laugh2: :uhuh: :hang: :paddle: :spank4: :pplank: LOL

Silly Pete ;)

Flamanar...who has never done anything wrong in his life.  ever. :gas3:  well...almost never.  In fact...nvm.  :shy:

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 03:17 PM »

Silly Pete ;)

Flamanar...who has never done anything wrong in his life.  ever. :gas3:  well...almost never.  In fact...nvm.  :shy:
[/quote]

And for that little number, I really really should DING YA GOOD, for shame oh Flame.

-slips back into lurkdom-

.it

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up