VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS Is Out!  (Read 31478 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
Re: FIREWORKS Is Out!
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2008, 06:04 PM »

Okay it happened last night and again just now....in the middle of a fireworks game. Bam a friend request appears in the middle of the screen.  It can eventually be cleared, but is disruptive.  Anyone else seen this?  It wasn't even someone I knew. It was a request I refused in the fireworks game lobby resurfacing.

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 01:43 AM »

Ok, a little tired to explain this but this is a scoring chart for the game to give you an idea of where you want to try to get them.  The Max level is accurate and the range in each area is estimated - but simulates the need to avoid the lower zones.  This shot was taken under extream lag and shows all fire works originate from two area and have a trajectory that are all similar. Each Level is broke into 3 equal rounds. A game consists of 450 Fire works and if you hit all stars (imposible due to the firing sequence) would give a max score of 15,000 - this means any higher scores are bugs.  You DC at least once in the game and if you click connect you may get friend request that were pending or sent while you unknowingly stand in your room.

I will add or adjust this when I am awake

awesomepatty-cake

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10 PM »

wow Adventure nice chart - ty

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2008, 07:58 PM »

Okay it happened last night and again just now....in the middle of a fireworks game. Bam a friend request appears in the middle of the screen.  It can eventually be cleared, but is disruptive.  Anyone else seen this?  It wasn't even someone I knew. It was a request I refused in the fireworks game lobby resurfacing.

Oh I know that one! I had firework game where friend request popped up, Disconnect button surfaces, and I had an IM once, all in one game. I cleared the IM before I realized it as I was chasing a firework and clicked wrong :oops:

Congrats to everyone on their scores!
Thanks for the chart too, nice work.

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2008, 08:50 AM »

I thought maybe they fixed the DC in the middle of the game but it seems not.
- Give this a try, During the Third Level at the begining of the second round try hitting a few keys on the key board - in other words type something you don't see.  I think this may prevent DC in the middle.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2008, 12:22 PM »

This has been happening to me all the time.  I get either a friend request, a trade request or a dc box in the middle of games.  Sometimes I can't get the friend request or trade request to disappear ~ so that's loads of fun to try and play the game with that box in the middle of the screen.  lol

PS:  Thanks Add for the very nifty chart!  Nice work!    :2thunbs:
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2008, 03:41 PM »

This has been happening to me all the time.  I get either a friend request, a trade request or a dc box in the middle of games.  Sometimes I can't get the friend request or trade request to disappear ~ so that's loads of fun to try and play the game with that box in the middle of the screen.  lol

When this happens to me, I just move the window down into the corner the best I can. This is a little more difficult with a pesky friend request. Then I play until the game ends and hit connect.  :)
Now off to the bird game while VFK is busy working on fireworks... :laugh2:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2008, 04:38 PM »

When this happens to me, I just move the window down into the corner the best I can. This is a little more difficult with a pesky friend request. Then I play until the game ends and hit connect.  :)

Thanks for the tip Princess!  I've always tried to get rid of the window, instead of just moving it.  So that makes more sense.  And I also didn't know that you didn't have to worry about hitting connect in that window too, I thought that you had to connect right away, otherwise you would lose your game.

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2008, 05:33 PM »

Thanks for the tip Princess!  I've always tried to get rid of the window, instead of just moving it.  So that makes more sense.  And I also didn't know that you didn't have to worry about hitting connect in that window too, I thought that you had to connect right away, otherwise you would lose your game.

Wow Astro! The trip ticker is really getting close!  Hope the suitcases are ready to go! Can I hop in one of them?

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2008, 05:46 PM »

Wow Astro! The trip ticker is really getting close!  Hope the suitcases are ready to go! Can I hop in one of them?

I know, can you believe it?!  I CANNOT WAIT ~ WDW here I come ~ Woot!   :dance3:   Sure, come along Happy girl.   :waveh:

By the way speaking of fireworks ... anyone know for sure if the bug is gone?  No more nice credit earning with fake high scores? 

My highest during the brief moment I guess of good credit earning ~ Yay for bugs!   :clap1:  Of course the first day the game came out which was 7-7.  I have no idea how that girl got 35k, but I'll take the 27k anyday for sure.   ;)

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 07:32 PM »

seems like the best location for developer note on fireworks:

A Note from the Developers and Graphic Artists
July 10th, 2008

We want to thank everyone for their great feedback on our new Fourth of July Fireworks game. We began developing this game shortly after we started this project. During the development of the game we reviewed numerous fireworks games dating back to the turn of the century. We also wanted to place our fireworks game at historical points in history that are the basis for our present day Fireworks displays. While some of you have already noticed much of this, we thought we would share some of the behind the scenes research and development that went into the making of our Fourth of July Fireworks game.

Firework games have historically tended to break down into three primary categories. The first category required the player to select a firework just as it was set to explode. A second category required the player to select the firework by color or type just at the moment of explosion. The third category was the coordinated firework game which used a combination of both the first and second. There were also a number of somewhat related games which were more focused on rockets and bombardment, but which followed this general scheme of play.

After reviewing all of these fireworks games, we decided that the most interesting was a coordinated approach. However, we wanted to add the ability to explode the firework as it ascended and not just at the moment of apex. This gives each player a greater range of strategies when deciding how to play a game.

The play of the game was also defined to some extent by our selection of the 1812 Overture for our music, as we wanted the number of fireworks to coordinate with the music. We also wanted the beginning levels to match the beginning of the musical piece and then build as did the music at each level.

We also selected our scenes to be reminiscent of the period involved. For instance, in the lobby for the game we find the verdure of a native forest much as you would have found in upstate New York in the year 1776. Many do not realize that New York was a dense forest of native trees at this time and impassible except on foot or by using the natural rivers and streams.

As the scenes progress in our fireworks game you will notice the transition to the depiction of the Battle at Baltimore during the war of 1812. At this time Ft. McHenry was under attack from 19 British ships, some with notable names such as the HMS Terror, the HMS Devastation, the HMS Erebus, the HMS Volcano and the HMS Meteor. It was on the fateful night of September 13th, 1814 that Francis Scott Key watched the bombardment of Ft. McHenry by these British vessels and wondered if on the following morning the United States flag would still be flying over Ft. McHenry. Indeed in the end, it was the American flag that that still flew, and Key wrote the words to the Star Spangled Banner, which became our national anthem.

For those who had the opportunity to participate in our Fourth of July Quest, you will remember that the flag which flew over Ft. McHenry was 30 ft by 42 ft in size and was made by a mother and her young daughter, Caroline, who was only 13 years old at the time. In addition, Caroline’s grandmother had also made flags for our new country during the revolutionary war.

We end the game with a view from a castle in honor of Tchaikovsky who wrote our musical selection. The 1812 Overture was originally written to inspire a love of Freedom in his native Russia, but has since become a standard to celebrate Freedom and Firework displays everywhere.

Again, we thank all of you who have told us about how much you enjoy our new Fourth of July fireworks game, and we hope our introduction in the game, the scenes and the music will inspire players to consider the history which this game represents and learn more about the times and the men and women that made freedom today possible.

Your Development Team
Virtual Family Kingdom

PS. For those who enjoy a bit of historical detail, you might notice the American and British flags during one of the depictions of the Battle of Baltimore in the game. :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up