VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5/22 EpicAges Desktop Version of VFK  (Read 5321 times)

wdwdreamin

• This new job of mine has severely cut into my playtime.
  • Teleport Magic
5/22 EpicAges Desktop Version of VFK
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:18 PM »

From the VFK Homepage:

Gentlemen, we can refactor this world, we have the technology, we have the capability, we can build the world's first fully integrated Desktop version of an online World. VFK will be that world. Better than it ever was before. Better... Faster... Stronger! Yet 100% VFK and completely integrated with the online world!

Coming soon to a Desktop near you! EpicAges! The Desktop client for VFK!

Our biggest release ever! The EpicAges Desktop Version of VFK!

Developed using Adobe Air, the EpicAges Desktop Version is 100% VFK!

EpicAges is 100% VFK and completely integrated with the browser version.

EpicAges Desktop Version is the downloadable version of VFK! The best part is that the more you use EpicAges, the faster everything loads.

There are lots of other new features in the EpicAges Desktop Version of VFK, from IM enhancements, like group chat and toast, to selectable online status!

To be part of the exciting new EpicAges Desktop Version release just go to the MENU on your task bar in VFK and select EpicAges! Submit the form that pops up, and you will be eligible to be one of the limited number of those randomly selected each day to download the new EpicAges Desktop Version of VFK!

The EpicAges Desktop Version is also the base platform which will be used for an upcoming release for mobile devices!

The developers want your feedback! If you find something that does not work as you might expect, make sure to send a help report for the developers!

EpicAges FAQ

Why is it called EpicAges?

We have always had EpicAges as a central part of our world. One of our goals is to avoid confusion between the download desktop version of VFK and the online browser version. So, it seemed a natural choice to use EpicAges for the download version.

Is EpicAges a different world?

No, it is still VFK, but as a download desktop version.

Are there differences between the EpicAges Desktop Version and the browser version?

The EpicAges Desktop Version is faster for loading items. This is because the items are cached, so once you have seen an item, it will load virtually instantly every time after that. So, the more you use the EpicAges Desktop Version, the faster everything loads. This means blue blobs can be essentially a thing of the past.

The EpicAges Desktop Version also has enhancements to IM and other features that are available because it is a desktop version. For instance you can take pictures of your rooms, save them, and manage the pictures.

What types of computers will the download EpicAges Desktop Version work on?

Because the EpicAges Desktop Version is created using Adobe Air, it will run on all of the platforms that are supported by Adobe Air. These include most Windows and Macintosh computers.

How do I get the EpicAges Desktop Version?

The EpicAges Desktop Version is only available to those with VFK accounts. If you would like to participate in the early Beta test of the EpicAges Desktop Version there is an EpicAges item on the Menu in VFK. This will display a form, and you can submit this form to be part of the the EpicAges Beta Program.

The EpicAges Beta Program is currently restricted and there will only be a limited number of participants randomly selected each day. If you are selected you will receive a popup from staff giving you information about participating in the EpicAges Beta Program.

Can I log more than one character in at a time using the EpicAges Desktop Version?

At this time you can only login one character at a time. However, it will be possible to login more than one at the same time after the early testing is completed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:44 PM by Astro »
Memories Vow Renewal Ceremony
Sept 24, 2011--Sunset Point @ the Polynesian Resort
Woot!!!  I was a Disney Bride!!!

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
Re: EpicAges Desktop Version of VFK
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:43 PM »

Adding Homepage picture to first post/bolded info.   ;)
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
Re: 5/22 EpicAges Desktop Version of VFK
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:14 AM »

So are any of you signing up for EpicAges beta testing?

I did catch that only members will be able to test, that leaves me out.  But then again, I am not sure being able to only play one  character at a time is a plus.  Great way to reduce clone usage, until they open it up for them.
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:22 AM »

I did.  I'm for anything that loads faster!   I have not received any notices though.  So who knows if I'll even be selected anyway.

Duck, I did not see anything that said it was for members only?   :??:   I only read into it that you have to have a vfk account, not necessarily a paying member.   So if you're interested, I would sign up.

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:36 AM »

I read this:  "The EpicAges Desktop Version is only available to those with VFK accounts.", and took that to mean memberships.  No?

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:48 AM »

I didn't take it that way.  I could be wrong.  Now I'm not sure?  But, I just assumed a valid vfk account.  Which doesn't really make any sense, seeing as obviously you need an account to play vfk anyway.  Maybe they just mean no guest accounts?  You have to have an actual title?  VFK didn't really specify this beta thing that way at all.

I would think if they meant Members only though, they would have said Members.  Just like when you click on VIP Gifts in the shop, it clearly states -- "To become a member and take advantage of all of the great membership features"....   Or when buying member items in the stores -- it says member or specials.  I guess that's why I didn't just assume paying members.

I would still submit if you're interested anyway.  Worth a shot.

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:30 PM »

I read it the way Astro did, ducky. We are going to sign up. I'm with Astro, anything that will help with lag/loading speed I am excited about. I think this may be a step in a really good direction as far as people being able to fully appreciate all aspects of the game. I have been hesitant to create more rides/rooms because most of our friends can't come enjoy them-too much lag. King and I are really excited about this. We'll let everyone know when/if we get in. Hugs! :bighug: :hug:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:11 PM »

You will get a pop-up if you've been selected.  I received one this evening when I logged on.  So far, I like it.  Load times are extremely fast, in my opinion.  

I haven't had to wait for a room full of items to load.  Nice!  It's weird to pop into a room and not have to wait for that anymore.  My Grand Garden competition room is a prime example.  I have not been in that room since the competition.  It all loaded right away!

Screen shot below of what the screen looks like.  There is a camera button that I circled in the upper right corner.  Not sure how to use that yet.  And, I circled the upper right corner, which shows what character you have logged in, and what room they currently are in.  Everything else is outlined/bordered in black.  No more looking at the neon green border anymore.   :lolg:

ETA:  I also noticed that my character title disappeared from my clones friend list that I had signed on at the time.  I'm not sure if this happens normally, or not.  So, just an FYI -- if you're missing me (or anyone else using Epic Ages) from your friend list, that might be why.  Until I'm logged out of game anyway.  Then I seemed to reappear on the friend list.  I reported that issue, not sure if it's normal or not.

ETA:  more screen shots

Pop-Up acceptance Message:

Options Screen:

Chums is your friend list.
Gallery is where all the screen shots you take with the camera button are stored.
Log Out button is extremely simple, just press it and you log out.  No confirming, no browser to close out.
Themes and Options is what we have already.  I will need to go through those to see if there are any additional themes, etc.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:43 AM by Astro »

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:15 AM »

Last night a friend had visited in the game that was selected for this test.  His name did not appear under the normal (top for online); nor in the offline (alphabetized).  His title did appear at the very bottom of the entire friend list with "available" next to his title.  Along with his were others that varied from "available" to "afk" & I can't remember what else I saw now.

Once I knew to check the very bottom of list along with the top "online" section - I could find his name.  However, I could see that entire issue as being a pain-in-the-neck to check different sections just to find friends each time.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08 PM »

Thanks Fun.  I didn't even think to scroll down to the very bottom of the list.  That indeed is where everyone's title shows up, that is using Epic Ages.  The other options for status are:  online, available, busy, afk, do not disturb.

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:48 AM »

Thanks Fun.  I didn't even think to scroll down to the very bottom of the list.  That indeed is where everyone's title shows up, that is using Epic Ages.  The other options for status are:  online, available, busy, afk, do not disturb.

Sounds like this has a lot of potential...I see here things that players have been asking for for a long time.  Flame and I both signed up to be testers, but as of yet, we have not actually been invited to test it.

Thanks for the updates though!

.it

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 09:55 PM »

Potential, yes.  Similar to VMK?  I remember them caching things to your computer when you logged on each time.  Dunno.  That era is fuzzy in me mind now  :hmmmm:
Pages: [1]   Go Up