VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: January 8, 2010 Best Christmas Space - the Competition Winners! RED!  (Read 3151 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room

Best Christmas Space - the Competition Winners!Yay Red!

January 8, 2010 3:41 PM

Well SmallWorlds citizens, you've done it again! Of course it's just as we expected - once again you've all brought so much enthusiasm and creativity to make this competition another great one. We are left with nothing but admiration for your wonderful entries, and for the community we have the great fortune to work amongst.

I'm going to try awfully hard to NOT sound like the proverbial "broken record"...yes, I know I've said this every time, however, the fact remains that this was another extremely difficult competition to judge. Honesty and I pored over the competition entries thread many many times. We paced up and down the Chronicle office, arguing the merits of each space; it was really rather grueling!

The Winners

Of course, we'd like nothing more than to award prizes to everyone, but we simply had to narrow it down to a final five. Before we announce these 5 winners, we would like to offer our grateful thanks to all citizens who entered - this competition would not have happened without you.

Don't forget to vote for the Citizen's Choice Award - the creator of your favorite space could win another 5,000 Gold! Details of that award is at the end of this story.

Here are the 5 winners, in no particular order. The pictures below really just provide a record of my visit with the talented winners. To see why each space was picked, and judge your favorite for the Citizen's Choice Award, I'd recommend you go and see them for yourself.

Alexis Knight - Alexis's Winter Wonderland

Honesty and I just loved Alexis' creative use of candles and flaming puddings - go and visit her space and you too can soak up the wonderful atmosphere! When I spoke with Alexis she said to me that what she enjoyed most about creating her Winter Wonderland space "was the peace and tranquility, plus all the Christmas goodies I got to decorate with".

I asked Alexis if she had any decorating tips.  She told me, "everyone is unique in their own way and everyone on SmallWorlds has the creativity to dress up their spaces very well. I just got lucky. lol".

Alexis' entry is on page 8 of the forum entry thread if you'd like to see her photos.Thank you Alexis for such a lovely entry. Do go and visit Alexis's Winter Wonderland and see it for yourself. You can vote for Alexis below.

Red Delicious - Santas Christmas Islands

Red Delicious just loves Christmas time and making everything snowy! She was very inspired by the trees which transformed for Christmas. Once she looked at all the Christmas items, she went in search of a room.

"When I found the five island room I just knew it would be perfect, and I decided to make each island a different sub-theme". You can visit the Main, Snowball, Presents, and Christmas Tree Islands and then go eat on the Home for Dinner Island! Here I am with Red on the Christmas Tree island - it's a beautiful place to visit!

Red recommends decorating to please yourself. If you like it and have fun doing it, then that is all that really matters. Thank you for your great entry Red. Do come and visit her Christmas Islands, and of course you can vote for Red below. Red's entry is on page 22 of the forum entry thread if you'd like to see her photos.

Kuff Sparrow - Kris Kringles Workshop

Kuff created one of the coziest spaces we visited, and it really spoke to us of the heart of Christmas - a warm room, with lovely food and a fire with a table set with food for friends and family.

When I spoke with Kuff, she said that the thing she enjoyed most about creating her space was, "the anticipation of everyone who came to visit having a wonderful spirit of Christmas awakened in them".

Just as with the other winners, I asked Kuff if she had any advice for virtual interior designers.

"Design what you feel in your heart and it will always come out right. There is a piece of you put into everything you do. So when people view your work, they get to know the real you. Plus you might find a part of you you never realized." Many thanks Kuff. Visit Kris Kringles Workshop, and you can vote for Kuff below.  Kuffs' entry is on page 6 of the forum entry thread if you'd like to see her photos.

Christine Knight - The Knight Gallery Christmas Annex

The Knight Gallery Christmas Annex has a collection of vignettes that evoke the magic of Christmas; each room has a different feel. It's a Christmas space, but it's an art gallery too. When it comes to Christmas, Christine says that she loves the "warmth it brings out in the hearts of many at the time of year when the world is coldest and darkest (well, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere!), we seem to burn brighter with our feelings to warm each other".

Christine had some great tips for room designers: "Room design is a lot like art. Don't be afraid to mix and match styles a little, and do keep in mind the colors you want to use. I usually limit a room to 2-3 colors overall (decor and furniture), and sometimes use a little of a contrasting color to add excitement. Play with it, and don't be afraid to think outside the box."

Visit the The Knight Gallery Christmas Annex, and vote for Christine if you like her space best. Christines' entry is on page 9 of the forum entry thread if you'd like to see her photos.

Kristy Vickers - All I Want for Christmas is You

Kristys' inspiration for her space was one very close to her heart - her soldier husband has spent 4 of the last 6 Christmases away from her and their children due to his Iraq posting. This year her wish came true!

She also draws inspiration from many other things - artwork, movies, nature; but her love for her family is the first and foremost (especially for this space) "I spend hours looking for photos online and then change them to achieve what my vision is.....most of the time it works out".

Kristy had lots of decorating tips. "Take your time, don't be in a hurry. Don't be afraid to try something new. There is so much you can do with the murals and flickr. Mix and match different types of furniture and accessories, spaces don't need to look like a store, use things in unusual and unexpected ways and don't be afraid to ask for help. Lastly, have fun, if you are not having fun, then why do it? I love decorating on SmallWorlds, I love taking a space and making it mine and making it almost seem real."

Visit All I Want for Christmas is You to see if Kristys' space is the one you'd like to vote for below. Kristys' entry is on page 12 of the forum entry thread if you'd like to see her photos.

Vote for your favorite Christmas Space

Each of these five talented winners has had 5,000 Gold credited to their SmallWorlds account. Only one can win another 5,000 Gold, based on your votes! Once you've had a look at the five spaces chosen by Honesty and I, please cast your vote via the poll below. We'll report on the winner in a Scene in SmallWorlds story the week after the poll closes (you can find the Scene stories by clicking the Community tab in the Chronicle).

Which Christmas Space do you like the best?
Alexis Knight - Alexis's Winter Wonderland
Red Delicious - Santas Christmas Islands :2thunbs:
Kuff Sparrow - Kris Kringles Workshop
Christine Knight - The Knight Gallery Christmas Annex
Kristy Vickers - All I want for Christmas is You

Whoever it is you chose, I am sure they will certainly appreciate your vote! Gosh, imagine having 10,000 Gold to spend in-world, especially with the new clothing store coming soon!

My thanks again to all who participated. Remember to watch the Scene in SmallWorlds section where we'll announce the lucky winner of the Citizens Choice award.

May I take this opportunity to wish all of you an extremely happy and prosperous 2010!

~ Kent Kronkite
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:28 AM by Happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
Re: January 8, 2010 Best Christmas Space - the Competition Winners! RED!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:29 AM »

Once again Congrats to Nobs Member Red!

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Princess Mod
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:07 AM »

Well, now I am a little behind Happy... :lolg:

Congratulations Red!  :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:23 AM »

Belated Congrats to you Red!   :clap1:
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:
Pages: [1]   Go Up