VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10/20/2009 Contests & Competitions! (Player Sponsored)  (Read 2676 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
10/20/2009 Contests & Competitions! (Player Sponsored)
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:56 PM »

As always from the official blog at SmallWorlds.com

Contests & Competitions!

October 20, 2009 1:14 PM

Greetings Citizens,

A question for you all: What do you think connects these four seemingly disconnected elements? 1 - 'Scariest Avatar', 2 - 'SmallWorlds Photography', 3 - 'Dance' and 4 - 'Just Plain Awesome'?

Well the answer is quite exciting! All of them are a part of something new that I've observed recently about the SmallWorlds community. I've noticed that as well as being an extremely creative lot you're also really rather competitive! If you haven't guessed already, the connection between the four items listed above is that they are all contests, they've all been created by players, and they are all open to ALL SmallWorlds citizens to enter!

Yes indeed, the number of contests that are now on offer seems to have taken a giant leap when I wasn't looking. If you're not a forum reader, you may not even be aware of them at all and if that's the case, then this story will show you yet another fun facet of SmallWorlds that I think you'll really enjoy.

Contests = More fun online social experiences

Remembering our recent exciting Adobe Max Award win in the Social Computing Category, it seems to me that competitions and contests are a really great way to put the "social" into "social computing"! One of the things I greatly admire about the SmallWorlds community is the many imaginative things I see citizens creating in-world so that you can all have fun together.

NEW Forum Category: 'Competitions & Events'

When I showed all the contests I'd discovered to Honesty, she came up with what I thought was a truly brilliant idea. She suggested making a separate category in the forums for Competitions and Events! So, from now on when you have a Contest, Competition or Event you'd like to advertise to the community, this is the place to list it.

This will make it much easier for you to find the competitions you'd like to participate in; and for contest organizers should also mean that your contest gets a lot more exposure. In addition I have a feeling that it will inspire other citizens to create more fun contests...perhaps you'll be one of them!

If you have a competition currently running and you'd like it placed in the new category, please send us an email at support@smallworlds.com and we'll get one of the forum moderators to place it in the new 'Competitions & Events' forum category. Please make sure you put "Competition & Event Category" in the subject line of your email, and (most importantly!) that you include the URL of your contest forum thread.

New Chronicle Section - Coming soon!

Honesty and I are also drawing up some plans for a new part of the Community section of the Chronicle, devoted to Events and Competitions happening in-world. This is under development, but we wanted to let you know that something new is coming, and that your SmallWorlds community newspaper is improving all the time.

Competitions Currently Running

Like to show off your photography skills? Flaunt your dance ability? Or perhaps showcase your avatar creation expertise? If you take a look at the selection of 10 competitions I've listed below, I'm sure you'll find something to appeal to you! Due to space constraints, it was not possible to include all that are currently running, so I do apologize to those whose contests are not listed.

(The official blog entry at smallworlds.com has links to these contests)
Contest Name:SmallWorlds Photography Competition
Organiser: Jake Zellwegger

Contest Name: Festive Fancy Dress Competition
Organizer: Design Star

Contest Name: Just Plain Awesome Awards
Organizer: Sarah Ryide the 2nd

Contest Name:The Scariest Avatar
Organizer: Ursula Vmk

Contest Name: Dance Contest
Organizer: Piolo Pascual

Contest Name: SmallWorlds Forum Awards
Organizer: Jake Zellwegger

Contest Name: Halloween Adventure Quote Contest
Organizer: Gillian Fraginfroogle

Contest Name: Rincewind and The Magic Within
Organizer: Caroline Wilkinson

Contest Name: Nautilus - The Voyage Continues
Organizer: Cee Emcee

Contest Name: Scariest Pet
Organiser: Johnny Mccormick

Create Your Own Competition!

Well citizens - what are you waiting for! There's great fun to be had and great prizes to be won. I'm hoping that the 10 contests above that I picked out of the forums will provide you with some inspiration to perhaps create one of your own.

I'm certainly going to be watching the new forum category with interest, Honesty and I are so looking forward to seeing what new contests you all come up with next.

~ Kent Kronkite
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:07 PM by Happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Pages: [1]   Go Up