VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossword puzzle changes needed  (Read 4711 times)

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Crossword puzzle changes needed
« on: October 03, 2009, 11:55 AM »

Sent an email with screenshots to VFK a week or so ago with things that needed to be fixed in order for the crossword puzzles to be more 'user friendly'.  Here are some of those things:

1)  most of the numbers in the boxes become partially covered by the letters we have to type in...which makes it very hard to do the puzzle without being able to clearly see the box numbers.  I suggested decreasing the font size of the letters that we type in the boxes as a solution to that problem, or not making them bold face fonts.  If decreasing the fonts makes the letters too small, I suggested increasing the size of the puzzle, then decreasing the font size to offset the difference in letter size.

2)  many times when we click on a box to see the corresponding clue, the clue does not show above the clue box border.  This requires the player to scroll down to see the clue. This problem consumes precious seconds that are sometimes needed to win the puzzle.

3)  allow the use of the 'tab' button to hop to each consecutive 'across' word..instead of using the mouse to skip to the next word.  Each consecutive push of the 'tab' button would skip to the next 'across' word in numerical sequence.  This would save ALOT of time for the user by not having to click in each new 'across' word box.

4)  when clicking on an empty box, many times the resulting blue highlighting which appears in the empty letter boxes defaults to the 'down' word boxes (sometimes it requires a second click on the same box to highlight the 'across' word boxes).  It would be nice if the highlighting (when clicking on an empty box for the first time) would default to 'across'...instead of 'down'.  Big time saver there, too.

Most importantly...the less the player has to spend time reaching for, aiming and clicking with the mouse, the better...and the more friendly the game becomes.

Ironically, I did a search on crossword programs on Google the other day and came across the following on the New York Times website:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/litsoft.html

Wow.i!  You want to see what a fine crossword program looks like?  Download the above and try using it.  Ironically, it experiences none of the problems of the VFK puzzle...and incorporates the additions I listed above!  For example:

1)  The letters that are typed in the boxes are small enough so that the box numbers can be easily seen...no letters overlapping box numbers (they even place the letters a little lower in the boxes).  

2)  The hints scroll up depending on what number box is clicked on (with no hints remaining 'hidden' or covered up after clicking the box).  

3)  The 'tab' button is used to advance from one 'across' word to the next in sequence.  

4)  The highlighting defaults to the 'across' word whenever clicking on a numbered box.  To change the highlighting to the 'down' word, a right click of the mouse is all that is necessary.

In fact, they also allow you to use the arrow keys to move to the next box in the direction you choose!  So if you need to move to the next box to the right of where you're at within a specific word, you just click the right arrow key.  The other arrow keys work for the other directions as necessary.

There are many other ways to move around the puzzle which are listed in the 'help' section of the software.

I sent VFK the same link as the one I inserted above.  I hope they take a look at it and incorporate the nice features of the program into VFKs crosswords.  Would save us all much needed time.  When racing other people doing crosswords, a second can make all the difference.

Flamanar...often puzzled... :??:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:00 PM by flamanar »

Purrypaws

• There are two of us??
    The road is not safe!!!
  • Cursed Storm Magic
Re: Crossword puzzle changes needed
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:48 PM »

:bm:  Well..here's my problem..I can't spell to save my life!
But that's not VFK's problem..just need 'spell check' in my brain.
Some great ideas ans suggestions there, Flame!
Goodness these puzzles keep us busy!

Purrypaws >>>who now has her red flips once again!

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Moderator of This Board
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:45 PM »

Those are indeed some good ideas.  :thumb: Wow, Flame, you really put a lot of thought into this. King has requested the Cliff Notes again, Flame.  :lolg:

For me, the font/number issue doesn't really affect my puzzle solving. The default down I have just learned to double click. Since all players have to do this and deal with the scroll to clue, the playing field really remains even. The one thing which would be nice is to not have to scroll to see the clues. This doesn't happen always, so I just figured that might be a glitch they can take time to work out.

On a side note, our schedule has not matched the puzzle schedule this past couple of weeks, so I might do them hours after it has been released. With spinning the wheel, we have still managed 2 wins without having to rush through the puzzle. Love that wheel!  :2thunbs:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:12 PM »

Those are indeed some good ideas.  :thumb: Wow, Flame, you really put a lot of thought into this. King has requested the Cliff Notes again, Flame.  :lolg:

For me, the font/number issue doesn't really affect my puzzle solving. The default down I have just learned to double click. Since all players have to do this and deal with the scroll to clue, the playing field really remains even. The one thing which would be nice is to not have to scroll to see the clues. This doesn't happen always, so I just figured that might be a glitch they can take time to work out.

On a side note, our schedule has not matched the puzzle schedule this past couple of weeks, so I might do them hours after it has been released. With spinning the wheel, we have still managed 2 wins without having to rush through the puzzle. Love that wheel!  :2thunbs:

LOL.  Flame's Cliff Notes are coming out....soon... :lolg:  ;)

Yeah, the playing field is even...sort of.  However, when I'm rushing to try to finish first, I find myself 'wrestling' with the highlighter.  LOL.  It goes across when I expect it to go down.  It goes down when I expect it to go across. (good thing my mouse is pretty sturdy...all that banging on the left-click button can be brutal for a mouse. lol)  Just adds an extra layer of stress and hair pulling whilst trying to sprint to the ever-elusive first place spot. 

Same goes for having to scroll down for 'hidden hints'.  Blech.  Stress much?  LOL  -looks up 'hair implants' in phone book-  :cry:

Hey!  Congrats on the wins!  :clapping:  Running dual lamps rocks ;)  One on either side of the sofa:  one for you and one for King!   :lolg:

(hugs) to you both :)

Flamanar...-spins the wheel...stares at it...gets dizzy and falls over-... :sur:

sunday_monkey

• Long live the Muppets!
    Ever since I was a young girl
    I've played the silver ball
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:16 PM »

Great suggestions Flame.  I can't tell you how many times I've hit the tab key to try and move to the next word just because it seems like the natural thing to do.  I hope VFK incorporates your ideas into the puzzle.  I've enjoyed playing it a lot more since they added the wheel & adding your ideas will make it even better.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:55 PM »

Great suggestions Flame.  I can't tell you how many times I've hit the tab key to try and move to the next word just because it seems like the natural thing to do.  I hope VFK incorporates your ideas into the puzzle.  I've enjoyed playing it a lot more since they added the wheel & adding your ideas will make it even better.

Thanks, Sunday :)  Ironically, I did the same thing with the tab key as you did!  Just felt natural to do it.  LOL. 

Really hoping they'll make the crossword puzzles like the NY Times ones.  Those just play SO well...when I can get the answer ;)  LOL.

Flamanar...puzzled and puzzed... :hmmmm:

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Moderator of This Board
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:13 AM »

I just wanted to make sure you knew, Flame, that I was not trying to downplay the crossword issues.  :hug: I, like you and Sunday_Monkey find myself going for the tab key also. Force of habit from doing other puzzles online. It was my understanding from Enigma when they were first testing the puzzles that they wanted to add a tab option. That was a while ago, though. Maybe it is more challenging and taking longer or they decided not to do that. Hopefully your suggestions will speed that along.

Like I said, I haven't had to worry about going quickly because by the time I get to a puzzle, it has usually been up for a couple of hours. So, I do the puzzle and take King and the kids through also. (Except for the word scrambles, which the kids like to do themselves) As for dual lamps, hehe, I wish. We have 4 mouths to virtually feed here, as I know you and .It understand.  :lolg:

Now, off to spin "The Wheel of Wow"... oh, wait, wrong game... :shy:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:28 AM »

I just wanted to make sure you knew, Flame, that I was not trying to downplay the crossword issues.  :hug: I, like you and Sunday_Monkey find myself going for the tab key also. Force of habit from doing other puzzles online. It was my understanding from Enigma when they were first testing the puzzles that they wanted to add a tab option. That was a while ago, though. Maybe it is more challenging and taking longer or they decided not to do that. Hopefully your suggestions will speed that along.

Like I said, I haven't had to worry about going quickly because by the time I get to a puzzle, it has usually been up for a couple of hours. So, I do the puzzle and take King and the kids through also. (Except for the word scrambles, which the kids like to do themselves) As for dual lamps, hehe, I wish. We have 4 mouths to virtually feed here, as I know you and .It understand.  :lolg:

Now, off to spin "The Wheel of Wow"... oh, wait, wrong game... :shy:

Aww...didn't enter my mind, Wendy :bighug:

The tab key thing is really weird for me.  I've never played online puzzles before.  No idea why I felt compelled to use the tab key.  LOL.

Yeah...we got 4 now too.  Daughter has decided that she wants to play...and when big brother gets something, she wants it, too...sigh :sur: 

Best of luck on your spin ;)

(hugs)

Flamanar

Pages: [1]   Go Up