VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9/16 Crossword/WordMix Puzzle Trials OVER for the time being  (Read 10477 times)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
9/16 Crossword/WordMix Puzzle Trials OVER for the time being
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:07 AM »

Borrowed info. from another Forum.  But felt it was important enough to share here.  If you notice, there was not a new puzzle for the 5:30AM (Central) time slot (last night's puzzle is still up), so this does appear to hold true.

:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
Re: 9/16 Crossword/WordMix Puzzle Trials OVER for the time being
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:52 PM »

I had a feeling they would be stopping the tests and making adjustments with the issues that have been happening with the puzzles. I just sent in a suggestion through "Help" that they randomize prizes given for the puzzle, almost like the mazes. Keep the puzzle up for "x" amount of time and in that time "x" amount of lamps will be randomly awarded. If you don't get the lamp, you get credits for completing the puzzle. I would hope this would make doing the puzzles more relaxing for most players and more people would attempt the puzzles knowing there is a chance to win the lamp.

I know the one thing they were worried about was leaked answers and people just running clones through. But, at this point, I think they need to look at the lesser of two evils. Not sure what everyone else thinks of this plan, but maybe some more suggestions will help them as they make changes to the process!  :)
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:32 PM »

Your thoughts on the puzzle and random selection of prizes (as the mazes are) sounds like a much better solution to me.  Here's hoping they listen to your suggestions. Thanks Wendy!  :bighug:

And thanks for the info Astro!  :bighug:

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:55 PM »

Thanks Astro for the notification :)

Flame is of a completely different mindset (shock). LOL.

I think the crossword is a poor game to use as a vehicle for giving out a super-rare prize.  Like the garden trivia and wordmix, I think the prize/prizes for the puzzle should be something valuable/expensive (like buy.able magic, for instance)...but not rare. 

There is also the issue of making the puzzle easy enough for everyone to complete...which is possible, but may be either too easy for the adults, or too hard for the kids.  One age group or the other will be disappointed.  The age range in VFK is too wide.  So I have a problem seeing a puzzle in which everyone who plays VFK can participate and enjoy the puzzle...from young to old.

The other issue is that if the puzzle is left up too long, inevitably people will be passing around the winning puzzles.

With the puzzle tests that just ended, the puzzles were very difficult for most adults!  I'm guessing that around 90% of the players in VFK couldn't even finish the puzzles (without cheating, of course).  Most kids didn't have any possibility of winning the prize.

Randomizing the puzzles sounds like a good idea.  However, there will be people who will play all their clones on the puzzle to increase their odds of being chosen randomly (and we know some people have loads of clones).  The more clones in the 'pool', the more chances to win.  No way around that.  I feel that we may have a very similar issue as we do now...we just won't know it because it will be clones winning.

Again, I think the prize for the puzzle can be valuable...but shouldn't be rare.  Some other form of game in which everyone can participate (on a more even playing field) would be more appropriate for a rare prize to be given out.

All personal opinion, of course. :)  If there has to be a rare prize for the puzzles, then Wendys way is probably the only way to go.

Flamanar
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:57 PM by flamanar »

goldengourd

• Gee, I guess I'm not as old as I thought
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:39 PM »

My personal opinion is there should not be an item prize for the crossword at all, either rare or valuable or otherwise. There isn't an item prize on any of the other games, right? (except for host event games). Credits, yes. How about a standard amount for finishing at all, and a special bonus amount for the top five places.

Of course, the problem of that is now they have given out only a handful of those lamps. And they stated that the prize will remain the same. Though it was a "test", it has now set expectations.

That is a problem with this game. It is supposed to be in development. BUT it is so "Finished" feel, that when they test something, if it doesn't work out, they are still stuck with it. They aren't given the leeway to say, "nay, that didn't work out. Lets try it this way instead."

I really don't mind that the crosswords are geared to adults. I think they should also offer some simple games, down the road, they are especially geared to younger kids. (those simple games that promote learning things like sorting, matching, etc.) I just think that the targeted games should not have special item prizes. 

Good luck to the staff in solving the quigmire they have gotten themselves in. Glad I don't have to deal with it.
-PotOfGoldWench

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:09 PM »

My personal opinion is there should not be an item prize for the crossword at all, either rare or valuable or otherwise. There isn't an item prize on any of the other games, right? (except for host event games). Credits, yes. How about a standard amount for finishing at all, and a special bonus amount for the top five places.

Of course, the problem of that is now they have given out only a handful of those lamps. And they stated that the prize will remain the same. Though it was a "test", it has now set expectations.

That is a problem with this game. It is supposed to be in development. BUT it is so "Finished" feel, that when they test something, if it doesn't work out, they are still stuck with it. They aren't given the leeway to say, "nay, that didn't work out. Lets try it this way instead."

I really don't mind that the crosswords are geared to adults. I think they should also offer some simple games, down the road, they are especially geared to younger kids. (those simple games that promote learning things like sorting, matching, etc.) I just think that the targeted games should not have special item prizes. 

Good luck to the staff in solving the quigmire they have gotten themselves in. Glad I don't have to deal with it.

LOL.  Glad I don't have to deal with it, either! 

One thing .It brought up is that is seemed foolish to offer a valuable and rare prize during a test.  I think she has a point.

Flamanar.

PrincessWendyBird

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:19 PM »

However, these developers are human and will make mistakes like the rest of us. I still believe they had a good idea, tried to add something special and really did not expect these problems arising. Developers are a different personality type as well. We know a few, some we met on VMK, who spoke with us during some game issues there regarding development. They are not thinking like a "gamer" per say, but looking at things from a development point of view. I can say we have had a few conversations with VFK as this puzzle testing began and I think they were just so excited to offer the lamp as an added surprise. I even asked, "What if the same person wins every puzzle?".  :lolg: They had not really thought of that. But, you see, I am thinking like a player, not a developer.

In the end, it is a lamp created with pixels and I hope more people get a chance to win one. If we don't, I'll be OK with that, too. At least we get to sneak into the vault and peek at Flame's lamp for now.  :lolg:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:44 AM »

Sorry, but I do completely agree with Golden on this.  I NEVER thought there should be a ultra-rare prize for these puzzles.  Credits only is my opinion too.

Believe me, I have stated my opinions with VFK about these puzzles twice now, before they were taken away.  I never heard anything back.  I guess I didn't expect to, but still.  If I'm "testing" this game for them, then yes they will hear from me if I'm unhappy, and have concerns or suggestions to offer.

I'm not even going to get into the fact if generators were used to solve these puzzles.  But, to solve these puzzles in under 10 minutes??   :hmmmm:    Yes, I had timed it a few times.

Crossword puzzles, Word Mixes and Sudoku are supposed to be relaxing.  The way VFK set up these puzzles made it not relaxing in the least!  Stressful is more like it.  I don't mind doing Crosswords/Word Mix puzzles, they can be fun.  But, I don't like having to rush through them, and do all the work, for not even a shot at anything -- 250 credits didn't cut it for me.  I can get those credits for visiting the NPCs, and 50 more at that!  Sorry, when using my brain, there is no way I would EVER finish those puzzles in under 10 minutes, ever.

I kind of like Flame's idea of having something buyable as a prize.  People would still play for that prize, especially if it was magic.  I would.  Can never have enough magic!  Given the turnout they usually have for Garden Trivia, it obviously works.

VFK has gotten themselves into serious trouble with the cloning going on.  I'm not sure they can fix it now.  So that will always be an issue with these puzzles as well.

As far as the puzzles being too easy or too hard, I'm not sure there will always be a happy medium with that.  Same with the timeframes.  Kind of impossible to make everyone happy with that too.  Was I thrilled with the timeframes?  No, they were terrible for me, but you deal with it, when you can/if you can.  (there was no way I was getting up at 5:30am to work a puzzle either!)  I can't have everything on my schedule, or a puzzle to my liking.

It's so true they should have NEVER offered a ultra-rare prize, during "testing" of these puzzles.  We all learn from our mistakes, hopefully VFK will learn from this one.  A big oops in my opinion.  I hope they can fix it to make the masses happy.  Time will tell.

Mermaid Melusina

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 10:48 AM »

If there has to be a rare prize in the crossword puzzle.... I think making it the same prize the host hunt has at that time could work.  That way, those who can't get first place on puzzles, still have the chance to win it during the host hunts. 

Another thought...a system of doing the puzzle, get credits when you finish them, keep on doing them daily or when you can and after a certain amount of finished puzzles you get a prize. It could be ten, twenty, whichever amount.  This way everyone can do the puzzles at their own pace and still have the satisfaction of finishing them and looking forward to a prize after all the efforts.

Just thoughts...

Fish.i

sunday_monkey

• Long live the Muppets!
    Ever since I was a young girl
    I've played the silver ball
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 11:18 AM »

Another thought...a system of doing the puzzle, get credits when you finish them, keep on doing them daily or when you can and after a certain amount of finished puzzles you get a prize. It could be ten, twenty, whichever amount.  This way everyone can do the puzzles at their own pace and still have the satisfaction of finishing them and looking forward to a prize after all the efforts.

I like this idea.  It's similar to the fireworks game from VMK where you would get special pins after winning x amount of times.  Except for with this, you wouldn't have to "win" but instead just complete them.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:46 AM »

However, these developers are human and will make mistakes like the rest of us. I still believe they had a good idea, tried to add something special and really did not expect these problems arising. Developers are a different personality type as well. We know a few, some we met on VMK, who spoke with us during some game issues there regarding development. They are not thinking like a "gamer" per say, but looking at things from a development point of view. I can say we have had a few conversations with VFK as this puzzle testing began and I think they were just so excited to offer the lamp as an added surprise. I even asked, "What if the same person wins every puzzle?".  :lolg: They had not really thought of that. But, you see, I am thinking like a player, not a developer.

In the end, it is a lamp created with pixels and I hope more people get a chance to win one. If we don't, I'll be OK with that, too. At least we get to sneak into the vault and peek at Flame's lamp for now.  :lolg:

LOL.  Open invitation to NOBS ppl to view said lamp :)

Developers:  I'm at a serious disadvantage here.  I don't believe I've ever talked to one.  Not about anything of substance at least.  I'd love to do that...but they seem to be largely inaccessible to the vast majority of players.  My help reports I send in appear to be ignored.  I haven't received a response to a help report in weeks.  I haven't been able to get through on the phone in weeks, either (and school is back in session...so you would think I'd be able to get through like I did when school was in session before summer).

We can also look at the deluge of help reports, emails and phone calls and forum posts heaped upon VFK by winners from the Ride Competition for almost 4 months concerning the lack of prizes we were supposed to receive.  Nothing. 

As in the early days of VFK, we still have a HUGE gap in player/VFK communications.  A great many people were unhappy with the crosswords almost from the very beginning...yet the puzzles continued.  Bugs were not fixed.  It has been rumored that VFK reads other forums as well as this one.  I'm not buying it.  If they did, they'd see what is going on in the 'real world'...with the players.  If they DO read the forums, then they are ignoring valuable advice as to how to improve the game, fix bugs, or make the game more appealing to the masses.  The forums are the 'pulse' of the VFK player.

If the developers are not creating things with a 'gamer mindset', then they're foolish to dismiss and/or ignore valuable feedback from the players when it is offered by us 'testers'.  That's what our job is.  They need to do THEIR job...part of which is listening to the 'testers'.  Otherwise, our title as 'testers' doesn't really apply...does it?  :??:

I've seen posts on other forums where people (kids) have been IM'ed by a developer and asked their opinion on things.  Wish they'd seek out the advice of some adults as well.  Right now, I'm not sure they even READ the help reports I send in.  I think others are beginning to feel the same way...and are no longer sending in help reports.  I can't blame them.  If I ever found out that my help reports are being ignored....   :bm:

Astro:  I've seen on other forums people say the puzzles were completed in 3-5 minutes.  Not sure where they got that figure from.  It would take me longer just to type the answers in the boxes if I knew every answer in advance!  I've tried to keep track of times...which made me lose a few times. LOL.  Can't do both and win.  I came in second a few times.  One of those times, I know that the difference in time between when the first place winner completed the puzzle and when I came in second was a SOLID.................5-10 minutes!  I wasn't even close to coming in first, yet achieved second place.  That really bothered me...until I won that one time.  It took me 18 minutes to complete.  I don't know if everyone fell asleep during the puzzle or something, but the difference between when I finished the puzzle and the next winner was..........13 minutes?  :shy:  I wasn't sure what to think of that.  I felt guilty, but did nothing wrong.  I just knew the answers, didn't get stuck much (a welcome change of pace) and played the puzzle like I always did.  Yet the next winner took 31 minutes to finish.  Still not sure what to make of that...  :waveb: 

You saw someone complete the puzzle in under 10 minutes??!!  WOW.I....  :hmmmm:

And you are correct.  There will be no happy medium with the puzzles and/or the times.  People will always be unable to complete it or participate.  Nothing to do other than to try to include the majority of players. 

Clones:  players have found that there is indeed 'power in numbers'.  That power is hampering VFK from coming out with games/hunts/etc. that place all players on an even playing field.  I'm afraid there is nothing they can do about it.  And I really can't see how they could have stopped it if they wanted to.

We can only hope and pray that VFK will learn from their mistakes.  The biggest things holding them back (IMHO) are STILL:  communication and listening to the players.  Without those 2 things, VFK is destined to repeatedly make mistakes...which doesn't bode well for their future.

I do like Fish.is first idea:  make the prize the same as the current host hunt prize.  That way people who aren't good at hunts can have a chance at the hunt prize, and people who aren't good at puzzles can have a chance at it as well.

Prizes for how many puzzles are completed?  Not sure about that.  Unlike the fireworks game on Magic, as soon as one person finishes the puzzle, it will be posted on a forum for all to copy.  It's already been done.  I like the host hunt prize or buy.able magic prize ideas. ;)

All the above is STRICTLY my own person opinion.  I'm not blasting anyone here at all...and I hope it doesn't come across like that.  If it came across like that, I apologize.  It wasn't meant to.  I was merely voicing my opinion.  We can all have different opinions and still be friends :)

(hugs) all around

Flamanar

UPDATE:  I just posted this...which is when I noticed how LONG it was!  Holy..... :oops:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:32 PM by flamanar »

goldengourd

• Gee, I guess I'm not as old as I thought
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 12:11 PM »

If there has to be a rare prize in the crossword puzzle.... I think making it the same prize the host hunt has at that time could work.  That way, those who can't get first place on puzzles, still have the chance to win it during the host hunts. 

Yes, I like this idea. And if they want to get out of how rare they made that lamp, they use it as the next host hunt prize while it continues to be the crossword puzzle prize.
-PotOfGoldWench

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 01:51 PM »

1 - I do like the idea of puzzle prize being the same as Find A Host prize.
2 - I like the random selection for winners of those who completed puzzle as well. Give credits to all who complete puzzle, draw a random(s) number to get the prize, and perhaps add a few more credits to the top 1-5 for completion of puzzle.
3 - I like the 'x' number of puzzles completed to earn a prize - kinda like our 7 days to Fairy or Merfolk Enchantment.
4 - And the not so rare prize for puzzle winners like the Garden Trivia Game is good too.

(as you can see, I'm somewhat flexible in mindset as to how it is solved - hope VFK figures a way.)

I don't have a lamp, and don't expect to get one through the puzzle - which is ok with me. The way I played in VMK is how I play VFK - if I get it ok, if not ok. It's fun if I win but in the end it's just pixels that eventually one day for one reason or another will just go "poof."

Wendy, interesting info about thinking of it through a developer's mindset--I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the info on your talking with them.

-drat, forgot to time myself Flame; but I think it took me 15 to 31.7  minutes to read your short post which I deleted most from below to add to my post to save space :rofl1: :rofl1:-

All the above is STRICTLY my own person opinion.  I'm not blasting anyone here at all...and I hope it doesn't come across like that.  If it came across like that, I apologize.  It wasn't meant to.  I was merely voicing my opinion.  We can all have different opinions and still be friends :)

(hugs) all around

Flamanar

UPDATE:  I just posted this...which is when I noticed how LONG it was!  Holy..... :oops:

No problem on difference of opinons and friendships - like I tell my DH "it's ok if you're wrong"  :sur: :rofl1: JUST KIDDING!!!

That's why we are here at NoBS - difference of opinions or not = still friends!   :bighug: :bighug:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:08 PM »

As in the early days of VFK, we still have a HUGE gap in player/VFK communications.  A great many people were unhappy with the crosswords almost from the very beginning...yet the puzzles continued.  Bugs were not fixed.  Again, apparently it took the 'mysterious connection guy' to get them to listen.  It has been rumored that VFK reads other forums as well as this one.  I'm not buying it.  If they did, they'd see what is going on in the 'real world'...with the players.  If they DO read the forums, then they are ignoring valuable advice as to how to improve the game, fix bugs, or make the game more appealing to the masses.  The forums are the 'pulse' of the VFK player.

If the developers are not creating things with a 'gamer mindset', then they're foolish to dismiss and/or ignore valuable feedback from the players when it is offered by us 'testers'.  That's what our job is.  They need to do THEIR job...part of which is listening to the 'testers'.  Otherwise, our title as 'testers' doesn't really apply...does it?  :??:

I've seen posts on other forums where people (kids) have been IM'ed by a developer and asked their opinion on things.  Wish they'd seek out the advice of some adults as well.  Right now, I'm not sure they even READ the help reports I send in.  I think others are beginning to feel the same way...and are no longer sending in help reports.  I can't blame them.  If I ever found out that my help reports are being ignored....   :bm:

I didn't like the whole prize thing/puzzles from the very beginning.  I just got more frustrated as days went on, and nothing being fixed or dealt with by VFK.  Communication has always, and still is a HUGE issue with VFK and it's players.

idk if VFK reads the Forums either.  But .. I will find it very interesting myself that I had a lot to say on another forum Tuesday night, about a half hour before VFK closing.  BAM!  The next morning, the puzzle was down.  The thread got pretty heated, and maybe... just maybe VFK finally listened?  Wishful thinking maybe, regardless I have no regrets. 

I don't send VFK a ton of Help Reports.  But, when I do, it's when there is a huge issue that is bothering me.  Examples off the top of my head are:  Twice with the Crossword puzzle, Missing my torch during the ride competition when rooms were locked down, ride pieces not working correctly after my room had been judged, and the MidSummer Night Ball, when I couldn't even log on and I wondered about wall prizes from the mazes and how they were awarded.  Sometimes I get a response, most times I don't hear a thing.  They will keep hearing from me if I feel I have an issue that needs to be brought to their attention, or if I have suggestions that I feel they need to hear.

Astro:  You saw someone complete the puzzle in under 10 minutes??!!  WOW.I....  :hmmmm:

Yes I did.  I won't name names here, but we all know who certain people are that have been winning more than once.  And actually 1 of the people had only won once (that I'm aware of anyway) that I had timed, that was under 10 minutes as well. 

I needed to know for myself that I was going crazy trying to finish these puzzles, for basically no reason.  So yeah, I took time out from working the puzzles, to actually start timing them, at this point I was fed up.  I knew EXACTLY when they went up (before the in game blast too sometimes, on the evening puzzle, mind you.  :hmm:), and I knew when these people finished.  So yeah, under 10 minutes.  Sorry people, nobody had a chance at a lamp, unless you can beat that.  Now I'm sure many can very much understand the frustration with these puzzles, and how an ultra-rare prize was handled.  Couple that, with a sampling of commets that I had seen floating around on other Forums:  I'm using asterisks to block player titles.

I also gathered various comments from a few players, that were made publically on other Forums.  Range from everything from: 

"If ***** continues to win, ***** will be your only source (for the lamp) lol"   

"Crosswords are off now. They are changing the rules. This stinks, I wanted more"   

x1 Victorian Floor Lamp (When they release again)  -- in a trade thread, actually offering THE LAMP that they don't EVEN OWN YET!

"And I think I might do my crossword on a guest instead of ***** because people are sending me IM.is to purposely slow me down... and people are just starting drama"

"2 (lamps won) in a row! Woohoo!"

"The only problem I see with your argument is that me using an unscrambler is a moral sin, but you logging in clones for host hunts is aye-okay."

So again are players cheating?  ABSOLUTELY, as publically stated above! 

And you are correct.  There will be no happy medium with the puzzles and/or the times.  People will always be unable to complete it or participate.  Nothing to do other than to try to include the majority of players. 

Clones:  players have found that there is indeed 'power in numbers'.  That power is hampering VFK from coming out with games/hunts/etc. that place all players on an even playing field.  I'm afraid there is nothing they can do about it.  And I really can't see how they could have stopped it if they wanted to.

Flamanar

UPDATE:  I just posted this...which is when I noticed how LONG it was!  Holy..... :oops:

The issue with clones I'm not sure can be fixed now, like I said before.  It's gone on for over a year now.

VFK could have stopped it from the beginning and do what many online games do.  SW and VMK are perfect examples.  They only allow 1 avatar per email address.  Actually with SW you're allowed a total of 5 avatars on your carousel.  But those avatars share "currency", etc., so it's not really cloning anyway.  With VFK your allowed to have multiple characters per email address.  It's beyond out of hand now.

sunday_monkey

• Long live the Muppets!
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 02:40 PM »

As in the early days of VFK, we still have a HUGE gap in player/VFK communications.  A great many people were unhappy with the crosswords almost from the very beginning...yet the puzzles continued.  Bugs were not fixed.   It has been rumored that VFK reads other forums as well as this one.  I'm not buying it.  If they did, they'd see what is going on in the 'real world'...with the players.  If they DO read the forums, then they are ignoring valuable advice as to how to improve the game, fix bugs, or make the game more appealing to the masses.  The forums are the 'pulse' of the VFK player.

Yep.  In fact, the crossword puzzle was out briefly on August 21st for "testing"  (no prize was given for completing it - I'm not even sure if there was enough time to complete it before they pulled it).  People on another forum posted that day how hard they thought the puzzle was and that VFK probably pulled it because they realized it was too tough.  Perhaps the developers should have taken that into consideration before releasing it again two weeks later.  

Right around the closing of VMK I saw jobs posted by Disney looking for someone to work for Pixie Hollow & Cars.  I can't remember what the exact position was for but one of the duties for the job was to get feedback from "fan created forums".  We've been told VFK does this too but, like Flame said, it would seem that they aren't using the feedback they receive from it to make modifications.  Perhaps they are just lacking in resources right now?

Prizes for how many puzzles are completed?  Not sure about that.  Unlike the fireworks game on Magic, as soon as one person finishes the puzzle, it will be posted on a forum for all to copy.  It's already been done.

True, but I wouldn't mind if people used the spoilers to complete the puzzles in this case because their getting the prize wouldn't keep others from getting it too. When there is only one prize/limited prizes to win and someone "cheats" that upsets me, but if the prizes are unlimited I don't really care.  Kinda like quests & the scavenger hunts...spoilers are posted and some people use them but others like the challenge of figuring them out for themselves - in the end everyone gets a prize.

I do think VFK has a challenge in front of them to figure out how to make the crossword puzzles fun and fair for everyone.  I personally liked the difficulty of them (even though I was never able to finish them - still liked the challenge!) but at the same time I was wondering how in the world a child could finish one, let alone come in first.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:35 PM by sunday_monkey »

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 03:11 PM »

Aww :(  I think Astros response is longer than mine :( 

-gets out ruler to measure...wonders if I should include the quoted stuff in my measurement-   :crazy:  LOL

Those are some very...interesting quotes, Astro.  Looks like I need to get out more and read some other places.  NOT!  I had heard rumors about the 'preorders' of lamps in trades.  Nice that some people were EXPECTING to win more.  That speaks volumes.

It is funny that posts on some forums get a problem taken care of right away.  The recent flap over the ride competition prizes comes to mind, also.  A day or 2 after it was talked about somewhere else:  BOOM.  Fixed.  I'd had a running thread here about the prizes almost the entire time...  :hmmmm:

If I had a favorite quote from another forum...or maybe call it 'ultimate irony'...it would be the following 2 posts by the same person:

When the puzzles first started:
"there are crossword answer generators out there..lol"

...followed recently by:
"I am not upset with VFK I am upset with what SEEMS to be repeated winners that seem to be able to finish something in 3 min that the next person takes 5 to do ?  I mentioned that to Enigma on the map, and she said to send in every crossword generator that you can find send a link to it, they have ways of defeating the use of them.....So If you find one, send them a link to it thru the help message."

I will let you make your own mind up about the conflict between those 2 posts...

Astro:  about clones.  You said "They only allow 1 avatar per email address."  This is also easily defeated by making multiple email accounts on the free email sites (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.).  I'm not sure how SW works regarding clones...and carousels?   :??:  I should log in there again sometime...at least to keep my account open.  LOL. :)  Regardless, yes.  It is out of hand with clones on VFK.  I cannot see a way to 'fix' that now.

Fun:  ROFL.  :rofl1: You crazy!   :grouphug2:

Sunday:  you said "the job was to get feedback from "fan created forums"."  WOW.  That's amazing that they had the foresight to think of that.   It also shows the importance of getting the 'pulse' of the players.

I'll stop now...tired of typing.  LOL. :)

:bighug: everyone

Flamanar...sometimes ya just gotta give the keys a rest... :hmm:

PrincessWendyBird

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 03:22 PM »

There are some really good ideas in this thread as a way to tweak the puzzles to make most people happy. I hope some folks send in some of these ideas- I do think they listen more than we think.  :)

Unfortunately, the one thing VMK taught many players very well was how to build a clone army. On VMK, I know we had up to 8 characters per E-Mail address. It was easy to set up an E-Mail address and then create a Disney account with multiple "family members". Once that was done, you could use those family members' disney log ins to create characters for VMK. We all know King had a reputation for his clone "army" walking around dressed alike.  :lolg: My clones were walking around in basic clothing and looked so poor, people would actually offer them free items unsolicited!  :rofl1: I have a mixed opinion about this. I like having clones to get multiple quest items for gifting and building. It is also nice to be able to run through the mazes with a group one after the other with the limited time we have to be on. We do not stack clones around during host hunts, etc. though. If it is something that may take away from another player having a chance, we don't use clones for that. I think many players who always felt like they were constantly keeping up with the Jones' on VMK approached VFK with lots of extra characters. We did not approach things like that, because we were still stunned at the instant loss of everything on VMK. We have a small group of clones now because some quest prizes are great for building and we like having extras to gift. Sadly, many of the heavy hitting traders use their clones to hoard items,etc.

I have actually been spending some online time at Webkinz with the kids this week until all of this calms down. I am still hopping on VFK for daily member credits and try to hop on for a close now and then. It's been good to rethink the things I really enjoy about the game - building, visiting, getting vaporized by the kids in Night fighters!  :sur: We will probably be off for the next couple days. My aunt was hospitalized with congestive heart failure and internal bleeding. They cannot find the source of bleeding and things do not look good. She is only 50. King and I have a few tests tomorrow and then a possible trip to see my aunt. Hugs to everyone - have a great weekend!

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 03:33 PM »

heh, you've all been warned that I tend to be rather wordy here!   :laugh2:

I think the quotes is what bothered me most, when I started reading.  It really did speak volumes as to what was going on with these puzzles and the bigger picture.

Anywho, Yes I am aware that the cloning issue with only allowing 1 avatar per email account, can be solved by opening several email accounts.  I guess I was just assuming to everyone here, that I can't see someone actually taking the time to open HUNDREDS of email accounts (even the free sites.  most IPs give us a bunch to use as well).  Maybe I'm foolish in thinking they wouldn't ... who knows.  But, I do think it would deter them from doing so anyway.  Seeing trades in the past, of players trading off upwards of 100+ of one single quest item or host prize ... I just find it hard to believe anyone would take the time to actually create that many extra email addresses.  VFK made it pretty easy for cloning to continue, in allowing 1 email address for possibly hundreds of avatars.

Yep, I noticed those comments you posted too, Flame.  All I can say is consider the source of who is saying that stuff and more.  'Nuff said. 

Oh and, SW will ban you if you're caught cloning there.  They are very very serious about it.  Here is a link about it if you're interested:

http://www.vmknobs.com/index.php?topic=4340.0

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 03:34 PM »

Wendy,

Wishing you and King good test results and prayers for a safe trip; with prayers for your aunt as well.

:bighug:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40 PM »

There are some really good ideas in this thread as a way to tweak the puzzles to make most people happy. I hope some folks send in some of these ideas- I do think they listen more than we think.  :)

Unfortunately, the one thing VMK taught many players very well was how to build a clone army. On VMK, I know we had up to 8 characters per E-Mail address. It was easy to set up an E-Mail address and then create a Disney account with multiple "family members". Once that was done, you could use those family members' disney log ins to create characters for VMK. We all know King had a reputation for his clone "army" walking around dressed alike.  :lolg: My clones were walking around in basic clothing and looked so poor, people would actually offer them free items unsolicited!  :rofl1: I have a mixed opinion about this. I like having clones to get multiple quest items for gifting and building. It is also nice to be able to run through the mazes with a group one after the other with the limited time we have to be on. We do not stack clones around during host hunts, etc. though. If it is something that may take away from another player having a chance, we don't use clones for that. I think many players who always felt like they were constantly keeping up with the Jones' on VMK approached VFK with lots of extra characters. We did not approach things like that, because we were still stunned at the instant loss of everything on VMK. We have a small group of clones now because some quest prizes are great for building and we like having extras to gift. Sadly, many of the heavy hitting traders use their clones to hoard items,etc.

I have actually been spending some online time at Webkinz with the kids this week until all of this calms down. I am still hopping on VFK for daily member credits and try to hop on for a close now and then. It's been good to rethink the things I really enjoy about the game - building, visiting, getting vaporized by the kids in Night fighters!  :sur: We will probably be off for the next couple days. My aunt was hospitalized with congestive heart failure and internal bleeding. They cannot find the source of bleeding and things do not look good. She is only 50. King and I have a few tests tomorrow and then a possible trip to see my aunt. Hugs to everyone - have a great weekend!

Aww Wendy :(  Huge Flame family thoughts/prayers for your aunt!  And for your tests.  Blech...hate tests!

Rest up and take your time.  We're still here for you in the meantime and when you get back!  Please let us know if you need us to get anything for you in the meantime.

I'm really bummed I missed all your clones and Kings 'clone army' on VMK :(  Sounds so funny just thinking about it! :lolg:

Concerning clones:  Flame has some.  :-X

Astro:  ROFL.  I didn't know I had competition in 'wordiness' ;)  LOL

The problem with having many many clones is the maintenance.  Keeping track of them, what they have, and the time it takes to accomplish quests/hunts/etc.  You could really spend all day just doing 'clone stuff'.  That's ridiculous to me, but I'm sure there are some that do it.  Just like there are some that will take the time to create a ridiculous amount of free email addresses just to make more clones.  Sigh...

Thanks for the link, too.  I only have a cat on SW...so I think I'm safe :)  Checking out that link, though.  Thanks for the heads up!

(huge Flame hugs)

Flamanar

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 04:35 PM »

What all the above said I agree. makes this post the smallest.

Oh am I a dunce.  :slam_head:I do have clones and they all different email address duh!!!! Oh and I have only 1/3 of what I had on VMK. I only added many more when I decide how great the christmas gifts are.

I did finish once and got to see my name in lights. But I was so disappointed because I thought if you got your title on the list you got a lamp. I thought at least the first 20 or 25. And I only got through the puzzle with the help of Gold. I had it all filled in but some were wrong.

To be honest since the ride competition I have not got over my bad taste in my mouth. I know I will not be renewing my paid membership. To much favoritism in my view.

I do not care about rare I just like to build. Since I only own one accidental host prize and it was on a clone rofl.

PS how will we know when our membership is going to be renewed and how do we stop it since they might just automatically renew. Remembering I paid 50.00 US for monthy membership because they never answered my emails :)

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 04:47 PM »

Oh am I a dunce.  :slam_head:I do have clones and they all different email address duh!!!! Oh and I have only 1/3 of what I had on VMK. I only added many more when I decide how great the christmas gifts are.

I did finish once and got to see my name in lights. But I was so disappointed because I thought if you got your title on the list you got a lamp. I thought at least the first 20 or 25. And I only got through the puzzle with the help of Gold. I had it all filled in but some were wrong.

To be honest since the ride competition I have not got over my bad taste in my mouth. I know I will not be renewing my paid membership. To much favoritism in my view.

I do not care about rare I just like to build. Since I only own one accidental host prize and it was on a clone rofl.

PS how will we know when our membership is going to be renewed and how do we stop it since they might just automatically renew. Remembering I paid 50.00 US for monthy membership because they never answered my emails :)

From what I understand, the memberships auto-renew.  So an email or phone call to VFK to let them know NOT to do that would be wise.  Keep track of your contact with VFK, and if you continue to be charged after requesting that they NOT renew your membership...dispute the charges with your CC company.

I also remember hearing that they are supposed to send out notices when the memberships are getting ready to expire and give options.  I haven't seen that happen yet (I had my Australian go auto-renew to monthly, and of course the '1 month membership' is montly)...maybe they are referring to Beta Founders only.  I DID hear that they are supposed to do something VERY special for the Beta Founders members.  Can't wait to see what they offer ;)

Flamanar

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 04:49 PM »

I'm not sure how you could find out other than calling them. Not sure how they would do a renewal (automatic or ask you first?)  And Flame's right: send emails and keep track of it (along with the rest he says)

If it were me, (and speaking just for me) IF you used a credit card, I'd pay it off now and cancel that card and close the account completely.  You could always open up a new card with a new number.  -- Or you could check with the credit card company to see if they would switch it to a new account for you immediately where it might not allow automatic renewals unless approved again by you.  Just a thought...

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 05:07 PM »

Oh am I a dunce.  :slam_head:I do have clones and they all different email address duh!!!! Oh and I have only 1/3 of what I had on VMK. I only added many more when I decide how great the christmas gifts are.

I'm not sure how you could find out other than calling them. Not sure how they would do a renewal (automatic or ask you first?)  And Flame's right: send emails and keep track of it (along with the rest he says)

If it were me, (and speaking just for me) IF you used a credit card, I'd pay it off now and cancel that card and close the account completely.  You could always open up a new card with a new number.  -- Or you could check with the credit card company to see if they would switch it to a new account for you immediately where it might not allow automatic renewals unless approved again by you.  Just a thought...

:roflmao: :laugh2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :roflmao: :laugh2: :sur: too funny pay it off uh unless I win the lottery ain't going to happen anytime soon:sur: Oh and I can not remember which one I used Duh. So I guess I will call the 2  I have and say not to allow any charges from Ok what is the name of the company again. Oh and will they be using teh australia address.

Or I could just say they are lost. And get a new card. That might be the easier. The sad thing is I should not even be having to think about this.

Grrr

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 05:42 PM »

:( sorry Belle  :bighug:

sunday_monkey

• Long live the Muppets!
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 05:59 PM »

:roflmao: :laugh2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :roflmao: :laugh2: :sur: too funny pay it off uh unless I win the lottery ain't going to happen anytime soon:sur: Oh and I can not remember which one I used Duh. So I guess I will call the 2  I have and say not to allow any charges from Ok what is the name of the company again. Oh and will they be using teh australia address.

Or I could just say they are lost. And get a new card. That might be the easier. The sad thing is I should not even be having to think about this.

Grrr

The debits show up on my credit card statements as being from "VIRTUAL FAMILY KINGD 954"

When I canceled my memberships I sent an email to support@virtualfamilykingdom.com and in the subject line I put "Cancel VIP Memberships".

I received an email back within a few days stating that my memberships were canceled and the last date that they would be valid for.  I haven't had any issues with VFK charging my card after receiving validation that they were canceled, so hopefully it will go smoothly for you too. I like having it done via email so that I have proof of cancellation. 

Good luck! 
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up