VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speak a friends title...others probably won't see the sentence! CONFIRMED  (Read 6110 times)

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.

UPDATE 10/19:  this is no longer a 'bug'.  This was intentionally done by VFK for 'safety reasons'.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that haven't come across this yet, it is now not possible to mention one of your friends titles in a sentence and have another person who doesn't have that friend on their list see your SENTENCE.  Follow with me here for an example:

I have a clone titled "Blech".  He's a fun guy that we use as a noun, verb, whatever.  For example:  "that broccoli I had last night for dinner tasted blech."  If I said that in a room, anyone who didn't have 'Blech' on their friends list would not see that entire SENTENCE.  At all.  Disturbing?  Ya.  We could be talking about things and others could just not see a few important lines...because someones title that was used in those lines made those lines INVISIBLE to the people in the room who didn't have that persons title on their friends list.

We found out about this awhile back when having a conversation with one of our friends in our group.   They were trying to tell us something about a person on their friends list.  We kept asking who it was?  This friend kept saying the title...but we didn't see anything they were saying.  Our friend told us the title a bunch of times and nobody heard it...nor any sentence our friend spoke with the title in it...because nobody else had that friend on our friends list.  Needless to say, we all eventually just nodded...then started looking around the room for this friends lost marbles...LOL.

Just an FYI for everyone out there.

Flamanar...hoping it's just a blech bug, personally...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:45 PM by flamanar »

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • Moderator of This Board
  • more laundry....
Re: Major new 'bug'...or major change in policy??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 01:06 PM »

Our friend told us the title a bunch of times and nobody heard it...nor any sentence our friend spoke with the title in it...because nobody else had that friend on our friends list.  Needless to say, we all eventually just nodded...then started looking around the room for this friends lost marbles...LOL.

It still hasn't been fixed, and I'm not sure if it's something that VFK did intentionally.  I do know that it will lead to a TON of confusion if it isn't fixed or put back.

Just an FYI for everyone out there.

Flamanar...hoping it's just a blech bug, personally... :notme:

Everyone in the room would see it though if the person with "Blech" title was in the same room though, yes?

I hope it is just a blech bug, and hope they fix it soon. Difficult enough to talk without this whole thing too.

- found one of their lost marbles....nvm, mothball  :hmm: -

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:58 PM »

Flame, have you reported this to them? Sounds more like a bug to me, wouldn't make any sense otherwise. It would make communication practically impossible because nobody would know what was being seen by others in a conversation. Unless some players (nobody from here, of course  :bighug: ) were creating clones with titles to use them in an inappropriate or abusive way. If so, maybe they are tinkering with seeing if they can stop it from being seen. Maybe even start big, then see if they can easily isolate one characters speech.

I have heard of a few folks who are banned from the garden and the Medieval map for a month due to behavior. I have only heard of this, but it seems to be true. Whenever these folks try to go to the garden, they are automatically booted back to their room. Sucks for them if any quests need to go there.  :uhuh: But that is what happens when you misbehave.  :lolg:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:15 PM »

Flame, have you reported this to them? Sounds more like a bug to me, wouldn't make any sense otherwise. It would make communication practically impossible because nobody would know what was being seen by others in a conversation. Unless some players (nobody from here, of course  :bighug: ) were creating clones with titles to use them in an inappropriate or abusive way. If so, maybe they are tinkering with seeing if they can stop it from being seen. Maybe even start big, then see if they can easily isolate one characters speech.

I have heard of a few folks who are banned from the garden and the Medieval map for a month due to behavior. I have only heard of this, but it seems to be true. Whenever these folks try to go to the garden, they are automatically booted back to their room. Sucks for them if any quests need to go there.  :uhuh: But that is what happens when you misbehave.  :lolg:

Lol.  Very true, Wendy :)

It was reported a while back by someone else in our group.  I'll be reporting it too since it is continuing.  Sometimes I try to give VFK time once one person reports a problem to get it fixed.  It's hard to know when to send in my report after that, though.  lol.  We've been testing it off and on as we remember it...and it still happens.  A sentence containing a friend on my list will not be seen by another person from our group who does not have that person on their friends list.

You may be onto something there with what you posted...trying something out on a large scale, and then narrowing it down to see if it will work on a smaller, more isolated scale.  Would be handy for 'problem people'. 

Auto-boot the 'bad apples' from map or garden?  LOL.  I love it!  Way to go VFK!  :clap1:

Flamanar

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Still Soarin' :)
Re: Major new 'bug'??
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 06:35 AM »

Ooooooh!  I didn't know about either of these things.

I've been in trade rooms before where a whole entire sentence is just a white chat bubble.  Is that what is happening?  Or, the sentence doesn't show up at all?  I only knew about the sentence not showing up, if someone had used the words "Elf Island" in the sentence.

And the auto-booting of people from the garden, that is hysterical!  That's great that VFK is doing that, didn't know about that either.    :2thunbs:    But ... I tend to avoid the garden at all costs if possible.   :sur:   It has gotten quite nasty there as of late.
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16 AM »

I've been in trade rooms before where a whole entire sentence is just a white chat bubble.  Is that what is happening?  Or, the sentence doesn't show up at all?  I only knew about the sentence not showing up, if someone had used the words "Elf Island" in the sentence.

And the auto-booting of people from the garden, that is hysterical!  That's great that VFK is doing that, didn't know about that either.    :2thunbs:    But ... I tend to avoid the garden at all costs if possible.   :sur:   It has gotten quite nasty there as of late.

Hi Astro!  The white chat bubbles people do for kicks.  All you do is just hold the space bar down then click the 'enter' button instead of actually putting text in the text box.  If you do the space bar instead, your chat bubble will be all white.  ;)  We had some fun with Sweet here awhile back doing that.  LOL.  (sorry again, Sweet...you were such a good sport) :)

Yeah, the garden is a 'no hang zone' for Flame.  Personally, I wish they'd take the public garden out and give everyone their own garden.  Let people enter VFK only through the map.

I tried the 'no friend/no chat' bug last night with a clone of mine in my room.  Still happened.  I had Flamanar say a title that I knew wasn't on my clones friends list.  Then I checked my clones tab and there was no chat bubble on his screen.  Did it with some other titles, too.  Blech...  Reported it.  Will see what happens.

Flamanar...blech blech blech... :waveb:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 08:38 AM »

Hi Astro!  The white chat bubbles people do for kicks.  All you do is just hold the space bar down then click the 'enter' button instead of actually putting text in the text box.  If you do the space bar instead, your chat bubble will be all white.  ;)  We had some fun with Sweet here awhile back doing that.  LOL.  (sorry again, Sweet...you were such a good sport) :)

Yeah, the garden is a 'no hang zone' for Flame.  Personally, I wish they'd take the public garden out and give everyone their own garden.  Let people enter VFK only through the map.

I tried the 'no friend/no chat' bug last night with a clone of mine in my room.  Still happened.  I had Flamanar say a title that I knew wasn't on my clones friends list.  Then I checked my clones tab and there was no chat bubble on his screen.  Did it with some other titles, too.  Blech...  Reported it.  Will see what happens.

Flamanar...blech blech blech... :waveb:

Ah, okay.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Hate the garden.  Just wait until VFK starts doing IP bans .. these people are going to be in bigger trouble then, when they can't log on with clones.  Especially since not everyone knows how to change IPs.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Re: Major new bug
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39 AM »

Finally got around to phoning VFK about this 'bug' again.  From what I was told, it is apparently intentional...which totally bums me out. 

How many people created fun titles to be able to say them around the kingdom (for instance, I have clones titled 'lagg', 'sheesh' and 'blech)?  Now those titles won't be seen when spoken...at least not by anyone who doesn't have that title on their friends list.  Caused confusion just the other night:  someone said something in .Its room concerning another player.  .It was sitting next to me on her laptop.  I started laughing and she didn't know why.  I said it was funny.  She asked what was funny.  I said the comment about player 'XXXX' (title left out by me).  She said she didn't see any comment.  Sure enough, the entire sentence showed on my computer because the title contained in the sentence is on my friends list.  However, the entire sentence DID NOT show on .Its screen because the title contained in that sentence is not on HER friends list.

This saddens me.  I have some fun titles that I'm proud and very fond of.  Some of them have become just part of the way I converse.  Now I have to always try to remember if all the people in the room at the moment have 'blech', 'sheesh' or any other clones of mine on their friends list before speaking....otherwise, they'll see nothing.  Um...same goes for anyone ELSE on my friends list (like Princesswendybird, King, etc.).  Yes, they can still be shared with friends...but the rest of VFK won't see them mentioned.

Flamanar...to say this is 'blech' is an understatement... :'(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:43 AM by flamanar »

sunday_monkey

• Long live the Muppets!
    Ever since I was a young girl
    I've played the silver ball
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:24 PM »

Oh wow!  Thank you for bringing this up.  I never knew that.  Gosh, that explains some of the awkward silence I've experienced...

What a bummer!   :td:

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44 PM »

Ok time to start a secret society. We figure out words that only nobs people can know. Kinda like a secret hand shake. And other words that we can carry on our own little conversation totally confusing others in the room. So only certain sentences come out. :) this could be really funny.

We could all create another character and hope that it does not take VFK a year to give them a title. This is my pet peeve. I titled a character Muppet 10 months ago only to find out sunday the title was already taken. I bet the title was already taken by me they just did not let me know.  I still have clones with guest 10 months late. OK I regress.

So we need a funny motto we can say to each other that only we would understand. While causing confusion in public spaces. Any creative thinkers out there ?????
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:36 PM »

Kay.  I double-checked on this and it was definitely done for safety reasons.  That's what I was told.  Doesn't look like it's something they are gonna change back.  The good thing is I can rid a few of my 'funny' clones of a great many people ;)  The bad thing is that 'funny titles' are no longer funny to the 'masses'...just the people who are 'in the know'.  Sigh... :cry:

Flamanar

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 08:27 PM »

Kay.  I double-checked on this and it was definitely done for safety reasons.  That's what I was told. 
Flamanar

If this is being done intentionally by VFK for safety reasons, I guess you lost me on.. why?

Might be another "duh" moment for me here ... I'm too tired to really think atm, lol 

I just don't get why VFK is blocking this, you're not saying anything bad, so I'm confused?   :??:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 09:26 PM »

Yeah...I'm at a loss, too.  The only thing I can think of is that it prevents people from talking about people they aren't friends with?  :??: 

Still...think of the mass confusion!  I've already seen what happens when trying to communicate with someone who is trying to tell you something with a title in it who is not on my list!  They demand they've told me 10 times...and I say they've lost some marbles!  People talking and nobody seeing it if there's a title in there that they aren't friends with.  It would be one thing if only the title were 'X'ed out, but the rest of the sentence could be seen.  But eliminate the entire sentence?  Sigh...Flame gives this business decision a thumbs down  :td:

Flamanar

Kay.  I double-checked on this and it was definitely done for safety reasons.  That's what I was told. 
Flamanar

If this is being done intentionally by VFK for safety reasons, I guess you lost me on.. why?

Might be another "duh" moment for me here ... I'm too tired to really think atm, lol 

I just don't get why VFK is blocking this, you're not saying anything bad, so I'm confused?   :??:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54 PM »

Yeah...I'm at a loss, too.  The only thing I can think of is that it prevents people from talking about people they aren't friends with?  :??: 
Flamanar

Well that's just plain silly!  If that's the reason, it's silly.  Sorry you have to deal with this nonsense.  :uhuh2:
Pages: [1]   Go Up