VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freezing on Map  (Read 4975 times)

Pink

• Gosh, we STILL haven't learned our lesson, have we?
  • Snowman Magic
  • I'm young! I'm young! Flame thinks I'm young!
Freezing on Map
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:16 PM »

OK, at first I thought that this was just a glitch of some sort and that it would just go away on its own, but it's not.  Ever since the Anniversary week, I've been having MAJOR problems on the main map.  It's ONLY the medieval map, but unfortunately, that's the map that you have to go through no matter where you've started from or where you're going.  It's making doing any of the quests/hunts virtually impossible unless I have a friend on that I can follow from room to room, thus avoiding the map all together.

I've just spent the last 30 minutes trying to get the latest hunt done and I'm practically in tears.  I've only been able to visit two rooms.  I can usually get to Western Age because it's so close, I can get there quickly before I get bogged down and freeze.  But if I have to walk clear across to Victorian Age or Australia, I'll freeze up before I can get there.  I hit the Medieval Map and freeze, refresh, head back to the Medieval Map... freeze... 

I don't know what to do?  Nobody else seems to be having this problem on the map. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  I never had this problem until VFK did whatever it is they did during this last phase...

And now I'm either going to throw my laptop or go have a good cry!   :waveb:   

ScarlettPixie

• Having your friends vaporize
    you in laser tag.... Priceless!
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Just another Scarlett Pixie....
Re: Freezing on Map
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:21 PM »

First.... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Second-- You are not the only one! I have been having major dc all the time. Lots more lag and problems with IM and such. So, I am with the same boat wth you-- hope it is not the Titanic.

Third-- Do the HUNTS in single player mode. Easier and no lag. To do this, open your tab to VFK, sign on as your avatar, then open second tab, log in again as same avatar. On the first tab a box will appear that you are disconnected. ONLY click on the X and nothing else. Then sign out on second tab. Now, you are in single mode. Have fun!
ScarlettPixie

Push me too far, and I will sing like a canary.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • more laundry....
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:25 PM »

Aww Pink, hugs!

I have that problem too with this lately.

Here's what I do once that starts with me during these hunts/quests.

Log yourself in and leave it there as is in this First Window.

Then open another window for VFK and log yourself in again. Once this 2nd window connects you to vfk you will see a pop up on your first window that says click to connect or something like that.

Close your second window completely - this leaves that first window with pop up. Do NOT click to connect it; simply "x" the box to close the pop up. You are now in single player mode.

You can go where ever you need now and do these scavenger hunts and/or quests (even though you don't see your words for quests in this mode it still allows it. - only problem would be IF you need to talk to Mr Smith/Ma'am/Mr Ned)

Hope this helps, and I hope I explained it clearly...  :bighug:

oops, Pix beat me,  :lolg:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:26 PM by funfly »

Cloudymellowdisco

• Disco Here, Datco There
  • Teleport Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 05:26 PM »

Pink, I was going to suggest the same as Pix and Fun.  Try the single player mode.  When I'm on the computer at work (sssshhh!), I'll switch to the single player mode and the freezing won't happen quite as often or quite as long.  Also, when you freeze, try clicking your screen until you see the hour glass.  That seems to hasten thawing out when you're frozen!!  Good luck!

Pink

• Snowman Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:44 PM »

Thanks all!  I will try single player mode in a little bit after I've calmed down :)  Hopefully that will work well enough to get me through tonight's hunt.

I guess "freeze" wasn't the correct term.  I never unfreeze.  It's more of a computer lock-up.  I have to close the window entirely and open a new one to get back onto VFK.  Sometimes in worst cases it requires a complete restart of my computer.

Just not sure what's happening.  I never had this problem until about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again!  Hugs!

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03 PM »

Thanks all!  I will try single player mode in a little bit after I've calmed down :)  Hopefully that will work well enough to get me through tonight's hunt.

I guess "freeze" wasn't the correct term.  I never unfreeze.  It's more of a computer lock-up.  I have to close the window entirely and open a new one to get back onto VFK.  Sometimes in worst cases it requires a complete restart of my computer.

Just not sure what's happening.  I never had this problem until about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again!  Hugs!

:bighug:
Sometimes I have the computer lock-up too.  Let us know if it works out or not for tonight's scavenger hunt and donut hat quest.  :bighug:

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:36 PM »

Awww.  Sorry to hear about that, Pink :(

Since the new client, I seem to have more lag...but it's tough to really gauge the cause of the lag since there's about a bazillion more people on game than before the client.

I can hang out on the main map for a fair amount of time, and will gradually bog down the longer I stay there.  Eventually it's almost a stop/start type of movement where everything stops for a few seconds, then starts again and a bunch of chat bubbles go up at once.

Not a new problem for me, but for quite awhile...if there's a quest that takes me into Central Square, I'm almost guaranteed to crash...even in single mode!  Tonight it was happening again.  My workaround was purging the browser cache in between logging on the next 'family member'.  No problems after that...well, except the blech hunt itself. :(

Not sure what's causing your problem.  There are many factors that could make it worse:  age of your computer, how many programs running in the background, etc.  Single mode sounds to be your best option as the others have already said.  If your computer is older (3+years), or an 'entry-level' computer that is not quite that old, it might be time to start saving for a new one.  If you're using Internet Explorer, try switching to Firefox.

Hope it improves for you.  In the meantime, have some coffee and a donut...take a step back...and try approaching it again when you're ready :)

Flamanar
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 08:39 PM by flamanar »

Pink

• Snowman Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 06:22 AM »

In the meantime, have some coffee and a donut...
Flamanar

LOL!  Funfly and I were just talking about that this morning! She was wearing her donut hat which made us both lust after donuts with our morning coffee... but I had that purple space skirt on that made my hips look like I was hiding a donut under it... which then made us rethink the idea of running out to get donuts, LOL.

By the way, I finished my hunt this morning while VFK was quiet.  Yay!

I might look into Firefox just for playing VFK.  Thanks for that suggestion Flame! 

Pink

• Snowman Magic
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 06:26 AM »

OK... who smote me??  I'm keepin' track of this stuff you know!   :uhuh: :rofl1:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 06:34 AM »

In the meantime, have some coffee and a donut...
Flamanar

LOL!  Funfly and I were just talking about that this morning! She was wearing her donut hat which made us both lust after donuts with our morning coffee... but I had that purple space skirt on that made my hips look like I was hiding a donut under it... which then made us rethink the idea of running out to get donuts, LOL.

By the way, I finished my hunt this morning while VFK was quiet.  Yay!

I might look into Firefox just for playing VFK.  Thanks for that suggestion Flame! 

Yay! So glad you were able to finish those :)

- looks at treadmill...decides to drink more coffee -  :coffee2:
Pages: [1]   Go Up