VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ride Thru The Park Preview??!!  (Read 20301 times)

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Re: Ride Thru The Park Preview??!!
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08 PM »

Wow.  Sounds like ppl had some serious issues today.  Major bummer!  :(

Honestly, I didn't run into any problems until the end...my last 2 ppl. 

I will say the following:

AOL = blech (BTW, "blech" is not a good thing)
Internet Explorer = double blech
Older computer = anywhere from 1 blech to 10 blechs

I use Verizon DSL (different areas will have different service providers for DSL).  It works extremely well for me (I'm on the 3mb/second plan), and has been very reliable.  I don't use IE as my browser anymore for VFK...I use FireFox now.  Most people I know who use Firefox never go back to IE as a web browser.  There is a learning curve, and it isn't bulletproof, but it has a small footprint and crashes WAY less than IE in my experience. 

To give you an idea:  my wife uses a desktop to play VFK and I use a laptop.  The laptop is around 2 years old and your basic $600 Presidents Day sale HP laptop (2GB ram) running Windows Vista (aka, memory hog).  lol.  The desktop is custom (I've been building my own desktops for years), and it's a 'screamer' (4GB ram) running Windows XP.  My wife likes to use IE.  Guess who is always crashing while playing VFK???  Yup.  My wife on the screaming desktop!  If she does a quest on VFK, she can't run 5 tabs simultaneously without crashing before completing it.  I'm on a much slower computer using Firefox and ran 8 open tabs today...no problems.  Again, I always hop right back in a queue when I get the prize, then log that player out and right back in again. 

VFK Help:   needs help.  lol.  Today I finally got some rooms transferred to my kids account that I had received (I'm the main account holder).  It only took......1 month and a BUNCH of emails. lol.  However, I've also seen them do it within 24 hours.  It's funny how sometimes things get done so quick and other times it takes forever.  I was trying to get a title for one of my players for the longest time...ran into a guest online who asked me how to get a title.  I told them to use the Help button to request it.  She had it within about 5 minutes!  I then proceeded to do the same thing (hey!...the right person must be working that night!).  Took me weeks. lol.  I've found that consistent - but not too frequent - prodding is what is necessary to get things adjusted on VFK...whether it's a title or room transfer, or a prize that should have been awarded.  If I'm intent on having them do something for me, I might send them 1-2 help requests a day to get it done.  Sometimes it happens right away.  Sometimes not.  Not sure what causes the inconsistency...but it's something I've come to expect.  Persistence does eventually pay off though when dealing with VFK.  Eventually they make it right.  Phone calls can also help.  Gale and the staff who answer the phones at VFK are some of the nicest people I've had the priveledge to talk to.  They listen to what you have to say and are always eager to help in any way they can.

Guest titles:  can be changed overnight or over a year.  I've had titles approved over the phone in less than a minute.  I've also had a guest without a title for about 3 months now...but it's because I like it just being a guest :)  I had chosen a title and it was rejected.  If you leave it like that...it will stay a guest...forever I guess.  Again, persistence is essential in getting titles approved.

Kim:  keep an eye on your inventory to see when they award you the prizes you should have received.  If you don't have them by tomorrow, send help requests again.  Repeat if necessary however many times it takes to get what you earned.  I also send help requests 2 different ways:  with my title in the top box for the first couple, then I use "VFK Rides" for any necessary reports after that.  I'm not sure how they screen help requests, but I have a feeling that if they see a subject of "VFK Rides" at the top, they'll know someone had a ride problem.  If they see a help report with just a player title at the top, I'm thinking they might treat it as a "generic" help report...anything from a game suggestion to a title request.  I could be completely wrong, but I didn't get my award for my first player today until I used "VFK Rides" in the subject line (or "player title" box).  Worth a shot.  No matter what, keep on them about it ;)

The surprise:  not a clue. lol.  Everyone was surprised that there was no surprise....so there was a surprise?  hehe. :)

Sorry to hear of the problems people had today.  Try to hang in there and keep on VFK...politely, of course :)

Flamanar

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Moderator of This Board
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 11:34 PM »

Well, the glitches seemed to have continued well into the night!  :rofl1: King had an extra character -"KingGasAttack" that it seemd had frozen or crashed from the ride at the end of the event when he was taken into the room. Tonight, at a little after midnight, King logged him on for some daily credits. As soon as KingGasAttack logged in, he was in the first host ride room.  :rofl1:  :??: Not sure if he had stayed there all day after he crashed and we closed his browser, but there he was, with a few other people, I might add. It was too funny! We got a few pictures and had a good chuckle. Who knows, maybe when you log in tomorrow Krazy, you will still be in the ride room!  :lolg: :??:

You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 06:10 AM »

I found with IE that if I have separate browsers going I tend not to crash. You would think 6 tabs would make is more stable. Nope. I crash all the time. But I can have 6 window browers going and not one crash. So I would highly recommend. For each character open I new browser.

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 06:13 AM »

>>>>>To give you an idea:  my wife uses a desktop to play VFK and I use a laptop.  The laptop is around 2 years old and your basic $600 Presidents Day sale HP laptop (2GB ram) running Windows Vista (aka, memory hog).  lol.  The desktop is custom (I've been building my own desktops for years), and it's a 'screamer' (4GB ram) running Windows XP.  My wife likes to use IE.  Guess who is always crashing while playing VFK???  Yup.  My wife on the screaming desktop!  If she does a quest on VFK, she can't run 5 tabs simultaneously without crashing before completing it.  I'm on a much slower computer using Firefox and ran 8 open tabs today...no problems.  Again, I always hop right back in a queue when I get the prize, then log that player out and right back in again.<<<<<

Hey now wait just a minute there buster,   :uhuh:  we TRIED using your Firefox on the desktop......and the the crashing was worse if I am not mistaken!!!!  :rofl1:  So I will take my IE, and deal with my quest crashes!!

Funny thing is, I can have up to eight tabs open for simple things like the maze with no problem!  Oh well.

I managed NOT to crash at all during the ride even yesterday; but later while doing the quests, I stopped counting at 3 crashes, sigh!  At least it waits to the end of the quest, and I only have to go back on and do the last anwer....sigh.

~  .it ~

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 06:19 AM »

Oh on ride event I also made the windows thinner as to not take up as much ram. Makes a big different there. But my lap top was just useless. But my 4 core ram computer had no issues.

ScarlettPixie

• Having your friends vaporize
    you in laser tag.... Priceless!
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Just another Scarlett Pixie....
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 07:06 AM »

Wow, sounds like I was not the only one with problems on this Madness Ride... or should I start to call it, Crash Track? LOL.

I crashed eight times total on ride, but have only received two of the prizes.... I think they are keeping the gold for themselves now.. haha. I sent many reports, no reply, but I know that they were so busy, so I am not blaming them.

I mostly crashed during the park room. The fact is though VFK accomplished a historical moment as this was the first time ever, in any virtual game to place a ride in a public room! Congrats VFK for the success!

Fin decided to ride with me in the morning, wearing a red colonial hat, rofl! As Harmony rode on her ride with her wizard hat and her new hairdo! Woot! I took a pic, but it did not paste, doh!!!! Maybe next time!

I mostly attacked the Gold bucket lines, for that was what I was aiming for.

Guess more reporting for me today... blech. I feel bad to report.

ScarlettPixie

Push me too far, and I will sing like a canary.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 10:36 AM »

>>>>>To give you an idea:  my wife uses a desktop to play VFK and I use a laptop.  The laptop is around 2 years old and your basic $600 Presidents Day sale HP laptop (2GB ram) running Windows Vista (aka, memory hog).  lol.  The desktop is custom (I've been building my own desktops for years), and it's a 'screamer' (4GB ram) running Windows XP.  My wife likes to use IE.  Guess who is always crashing while playing VFK???  Yup.  My wife on the screaming desktop!  If she does a quest on VFK, she can't run 5 tabs simultaneously without crashing before completing it.  I'm on a much slower computer using Firefox and ran 8 open tabs today...no problems.  Again, I always hop right back in a queue when I get the prize, then log that player out and right back in again.<<<<<

Hey now wait just a minute there buster,   :uhuh:  we TRIED using your Firefox on the desktop......and the the crashing was worse if I am not mistaken!!!!  :rofl1:  So I will take my IE, and deal with my quest crashes!!

Funny thing is, I can have up to eight tabs open for simple things like the maze with no problem!  Oh well.

I managed NOT to crash at all during the ride even yesterday; but later while doing the quests, I stopped counting at 3 crashes, sigh!  At least it waits to the end of the quest, and I only have to go back on and do the last anwer....sigh.

~  .it ~

lol...ok.  let it be known that my desktop has always had...ahem...'issues'...with my better half.   :lolp:

Making windows thinner:  that could work...less image/animation to display on screen is always a good thing.  You can also go to the bottom right of your IE browser and click the 'down arrow' button next to the magnifying glass which has "100%" next to it.  Using the zoom options there, you can make the browser display things smaller...meaning less image that your computer has to draw on the screen.  If you don't see that button on the bottom right of IE, go to your top browser menu (File, Edit, View, etc.).  Click "view", then click "status bar".  You should now see the down arrow and magnifying glass on the bottom right of your browser.

Opening multiple windows instead of multiple tabs:  not sure if this reduces lag or memory load, but the benefit of doing things with multiple windows instead of multiple tabs is that if your browser does crash, typically only one offending window will go BOOM...the rest should still be intact.  I'm too lazy to do that, so I do multiple tabs.   :waveh:

Wendy:  lol.  That's too funny!  .It has had that happen to her before, although I have not.

Pix:   keep reporting.  You're a tester and are supposed to report bugs.  You also earned those prizes, so you shouldn't feel bad about requesting them.  I know it's easy to say all that, but you should get what you deserve...VFK has NO problem at all with giving it to you. :)

On another note, some people (myself included) have had problems with Flash 10 in the past.  Not sure if it's been fixed yet, but many of us have rolled back to Flash 9 and have had great success using it.  If you're using Flash 10 and are having problems, it's worth a shot to roll back.  I do know of at least one person now who has started using Flash 10 and they're loving it.  Maybe it's been fixed.  Dunno.

GL all...and keep us posted on whether you received unawarded prizes or not.

Flamanar

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 11:37 AM »

No that is why I kept telling people in my room during the ride event go back to add doh bee flash fine rofl.

I have not had any issues going back. But before I was freezing every few minutes with 10+. Ten maybe be fixed but its update is worse. Even ten was not a good for VFK as 9 is. So go back go way back to nine. Nine is your VFK friend!!!!

ScarlettPixie

• Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 01:21 PM »

I may give up, Flame!

I sent three reports today! No reply....  :sos:
ScarlettPixie

lisuhut

• When is a queue not a queue?
  • Snowman Magic
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 01:33 PM »

Hi
Dont give up we must all keep on at them, i have reported five times today and i will keep on reporting until i get a reply.Apart from anything else it is rude of them not to reply.
We will get our prizes i am sure!

Cloudymellowdisco

• Disco Here, Datco There
  • Teleport Magic
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 03:00 PM »

Hey Flame, my work computer (where I'll check into VFK every now and then, but never regularly ;) ) has Flash 10 on it (which we cannot change without Administrator's rights).  I continue to have issues with VFK freezing up for a bit, even after I've cleared the cache.  The computers we have are pretty new (changed over late last year), so I doubt the freezing is from memory issues with our computers.  The freezing is quite prevalent in the mazes and in the games.

Plus, per the recommendations from King and Princess, I have Flash 9 on my desktop and laptop and I rarely have the freezing problem.

So, I don't believe all the problems VFK was experiencing with Flash 10 have been corrected yet.

Also, did anybody get a message this weekend to update your Adobe Flash Player (both 10 and 9) because they have a new security patch??  Anybody know how to do that with Flash 9?  I looked on the Adobe website but couldn't figure out how to update Flash 9.  Thanks!

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2009, 09:36 PM »

I may give up, Flame!

I sent three reports today! No reply....  :sos:

I think I am going to be in the same boat as you Pixie.  I have reported to VFK through Help about not getting Magic, but still no magic and I wasn't on the ride when I signed on today.  I was thinking that its not going to happen so I should just give up and move on.  I know they are busy, but when you report that many times can they at least give you a message back saying we are working on it or something.  Ah well, it was still fun yesterday and I am glad I was well enough to witness it.  It was a blast!  :)

:crazy2: Krazy_Kim :crazy2:
I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2009, 10:16 PM »

No that is why I kept telling people in my room during the ride event go back to add doh bee flash fine rofl.

I have not had any issues going back. But before I was freezing every few minutes with 10+. Ten maybe be fixed but its update is worse. Even ten was not a good for VFK as 9 is. So go back go way back to nine. Nine is your VFK friend!!!!

littlebelle:  I still use Flash 9 on both my computers...and have no problems.  Since I have no problems, I won't be upgrading to 10 anytime soon.  I do know 1 person who is using Flash 10 and loving it.  In fact, I saw them on several rides flying past me!  Not sure why they aren't having problems, but until I see ALOT more ppl loving 10, it's 9 or nothing for me. ;) BTW, I do have a tutorial for going back to Flash 9 if anyone needs it.  It's not easy, but it's worth it.

Pix:  for pizza sake...don't give up! 

lisuhut: you're absolutely right!

Cloudymellowdisco:  don't know what's up with Adobe and Flash 10.  Not very encouraging from my viewpoint that it's not working famously yet.  I didn't get any update messages for Flash...but I think I have those disabled ;)

Krazy_Kim:  see what I told Pix above!  :)

Hopefully the next Host Ride will be a much better experience for everyone. 

Flamanar

ScarlettPixie

• Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 06:23 AM »

Pix:  for pizza sake...don't give up! 
Flamanar

Um, are you trying to tell me I have to bribe the Staff with Pizza?????? :pizza:

I told Vintage last night about the missing pots! She said she is going to look at it personally!!! Woot, but, nothing yet. I am missing now 9 pots of gold! Three also poof from my inventory! Sheesh!
ScarlettPixie

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 07:08 AM »

HI there

King posted a long while back the link to flash 9 that he was given from VFK. (to see post http://www.vmknobs.com/index.php?topic=3301.0) Explains what to do. !!!!!

Here is the driect link to Flash 9
http://www6.virtualfamilykingdom.com/Flash9.zip

Maybe we can make this a sticky in the guides. I know I had to search for it. And for anyone who has  joined us since then would not know about this link on here.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 07:49 AM »

HI there

King posted a long while back the link to flash 9 that he was given from VFK. (to see post http://www.vmknobs.com/index.php?topic=3301.0) Explains what to do. !!!!!

Maybe we can make this a sticky in the guides. I know I had to search for it. And for anyone who has  joined us since then would not know about this link on here.

Good idea Belle! Thanks for posting the links too.    :thumb:

What Belle said...can we, can we? :lolb: Can we get a sticky?  :waveh:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 09:00 AM »

HI there

Good idea Belle! Thanks for posting the links too.    :thumb:

What Belle said...can we, can we? :lolb: Can we get a sticky?  :waveh:

Great Idea on making this a Sticky peeps!   :thumb:     I'll go ahead and take care of that.   ;)   EDIT:  NVM ~ Ducky already snuck in there and did that (Thanks Ducky!).  Now I have to figure out how to undo mine.   :lolg:    :sos:

I had to go back to Flash 9 myself, a while ago ~ and King's guide worked perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:07 AM by AstroGigiblue »
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up