VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3/4/2009 Quick…. Draw! Art-Fuelled Excitement with Sophie Wonders  (Read 4127 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room

SmallWorlds Blog
Quick…. Draw! Art-Fuelled Excitement with Sophie Wonders
March 5th, 2009 - Hilary Jackson

For most people, drawing a great pic on a Graffiti board is a relaxing experience - hanging out in your own space, taking as much time as you need to get things just right.  But if you’re after some  excitement and a fun experience, Sophie Wonders’ regular drawing competitions could be just what you’re looking for!

Sophie Wonders is a moderator here on SmallWorlds; she’s been part of the team since August 2008 and gets a real kick out of creating fun community events where players can have great experiences together.

Sophie enjoying some of the new artwork produced from a recent competition

It’s in between a Fast Draw & a Slow Draw!
Not to be confused with the recent release of our very own Fast Draw game (in which you have a mere 60 seconds to draw a system generated word!), Sophie Wonders gives her drawing competition contestants a nice comfortable 10 minutes to play with.  Sophie defines a theme for the competition and contestants draw something related to it. Ten whole minutes should be a cinch for those of you with lots of Fast Draw practice!

There’s no entry fee for the competition - you just wait at the gate and the first 7 people in will be the players for that round.  After the ten minutes has elapsed, Sophie judges the drawings, sometimes with the help of a guest judge or two (SWHQ staff members have been known to help out now and then).  “I judge the contests, evaluating the paintings on how neat and nice they look…but I also judge them on creativity & originality,” says Sophie.

Prizes are given randomly and will differ from competition to competition - prizes will be chosen from items like: televisions, radios, arcade machines, quiz machines and (most appropriately!)  Fast Draw game machines!

Next Competition -  7 March, 6-9pm SWT (EST)

The competitions are run at random times - sometimes a few a month, sometimes a few a week.  Mostly, Sophie runs them on public holidays and special occasions.  She has set the date for the next competition -  just check the noticeboard in her space for future notifications.   You can also read  competition guidelines by clicking on her guestbook.  Mark the 7th March in your social calendar for some cool drawing action!

Talent not required! (but, yep, it helps if you want to to win…)
We asked Sophie about the history of the contest, “I started the contests, months back; mainly because I love drawing on the boards myself (even though I am not great at it!) and I thought they would bring great fun to SmallWorlds“.  And remember, you don’t need much artistic talent to have fun with drawing!   If you really feel you’d like a bit of practice before leaping in to the competition, you can buy a Graffiti board at the SmallWorlds Emporium or at Modern Living.

We spoke to a couple of participants at a recent competition:

Kate Lockrage - “I really enjoyed the competition and I felt great pride when I won!  I really enjoy drawing, mainly cartoon animals, and also real animals (mainly lions).  My experience of being an artist is a great one, I feel really proud when I finish a drawing“. (Kate drew the winning Lilo & Stitch picture above)

Emmie Vmk - “Sophie’s competition is really fun, it’s a chance for players  to show off their artistic skill and to meet new friends. Sophie does a wonderful job hosting it, and the first drawing I did for the competition [Nemo] is still displayed in her room. I didn’t win, but her drawing competitions are tons of fun!”

Community Events - Making SmallWorlds a better place to play in!
Make a visit to Sophie Wonders’ space sometime and admire her ‘created-in-ten-minutes’ art gallery; we sure have some talented people in the SmallWorlds Community.

The team at SWHQ is happy to see events like this happening regularly.  They add much to the fabric of SmallWorlds, which grows ever more complex and interesting as the weeks & months go.  Thanks Sophie for adding your great contribution to SmallWorlds!

So - what Community Event might you be inspired to create?  We look forward to hearing about it sometime.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:46 PM by souper_happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Pages: [1]   Go Up