VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12/12/2008 Friends @ SmallWorlds  (Read 3934 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
12/12/2008 Friends @ SmallWorlds
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:09 PM »

SmallWorlds Blog
Friends @ SmallWorlds
December 12th, 2008 - Hilary Jackson

What do you and your friends enjoy doing together? Whether it’s listening to music, sitting on the sofa laughing at hilarious videos, shooting pool, playing arcade games,  creating / doing missions, getting dressed up or just dancing the night away – there’s just so much to do together here on SmallWorlds.

[Nico appreciating a cool shot... or was it just the great hairstyle that just walked on by?]

When we were creating SmallWorlds, we thought hard about what friends like to do together in RL and made sure that you and your virtual friends can participate in lots of those things together in our cool fully browser-based virtual world.

Inviting Friends
Most people on SmallWorlds hang out with a combination of RL friends they’ve invited in and Virtual friends. Some of those Virtual friends were met on other gaming sites, others they met right here on SmallWorlds.

There are three ways to invite friends to join you in-world

1 - Make A Friend: Go into what we call “Avatar Central” (pictured below) and click on “Make a Friend”. It’s a great opportunity to suggest that hairstyle you always wanted to see your friend wear; and what’s more, our amazing avatar generator enables you to make really fine adjustments to facial features, so that you can come out with something that really does look like your friend!

2 - Email an Invitation: Click on the ‘Share’ icon at bottom right when you are in-world to generate an invite.

3 - Send a Postcard: Lastly, take a shot of yourself having a ball in SmallWorlds and email it to your friends - use the camera icon on the space owners info bar on the top right when in-world - its easy!

We did a little digging around in our member database and came up with some people who have been inviting friends into SmallWorlds. We asked them a few questions about their virtual socializing, and shortly we’ll meet them and see what they have to say.  Before we do so, let’s take a quick look at how you can benefit from inviting friends to join you in SmallWorlds.

Get Rich Quick – hang out with your friends on SmallWorlds!

As you will have read in a recent blog post, one of the great features of our exciting 1.0 release of SmallWorlds is the launching of our virtual currency, Gold which you can buy via paypal or credit card.  We have also provided ways to earn Gold – and one of those ways is through inviting friends! You get a Gold credit just for inviting someone (if they register), but it doesn’t stop there! The more your friends play, the more Gold you receive. Yes you read that right - SmallWorlds actually pays you and your friends for playing and having fun together!

Here’s a summary of how it works:

1 - You invite a friend. As soon as they register and confirm their email: You receive 100 Gold
2 - You and your friend have fun playing SW. Your friend reaches level 20 in any of the experience paths and you receive 1-  500 Gold and 2 -  500 Social XP
3 - Your friend joins the VIP Club (they must be a new VIP member): You receive 1 -  1000 Gold and 2 -  1000 Social XP

SmallWorlds Members Inviting Friends Over
Adrian Scones
Adrian Scones has been playing SmallWorlds since the week we opened the doors in Beta. He has invited 9 friends so far and says he plans on inviting more. “I plan to keep inviting friends to SmallWorlds so they can try it out. I know I’ve had a blast on here – I’ve experienced so much on the game!”

[Adrian and his friends trying unsuccessfully to high-five each other... tip: one of you needs to turn around guys  ]

Adrian is planning on getting another room from the Gold he is saving up from inviting his friends.  One thing he tells all his friends when inviting them is “you will never get bored on SmallWorlds“.

Thank you Adrian – thanks for the vote of confidence, we appreciate you spreading the word.

Reece Woods
Reece signed on to SmallWorlds a couple of months ago and “ever since I’ve been loving every moment of it”. He has invited around 11 friends and with the proceeds was able to save up for an item he’d been really coveting “I just bought a set of angel wings with the tokens I had saved up from inviting my friends… they’re awesome!”

We were interested in Reece’s friends responses to SmallWorlds:  “…when they finally clicked the link, oh my, were they surprised! A few loved it, and the others got addicted!”

[Reece's dog currently out of the picture as he's trained it to go get him another drink...]

Reece told us that he’s an avid gamer and does a fair bit of travelling around from online world to world… “by far SmallWorlds is the most entertaining and fun place to hang out with friends, I can participate in activities such as pool (I suck in real life, hehe) take a nice relaxing spa or hang out in games rooms. I’d like to thank SmallWorlds for creating such a wonderful online world for me and my friends to hang out in!”

Our pleasure Reece – glad you and your friends are having such a great time and finding so much to do!

Sophie Wonders
Sophie is a helper here on SmallWorlds - she had some high praise for us too! “I have been playing on SmallWorlds since early June, and I love it. I have invited approximately eight friends to SmallWorlds who play regularly.  With the tokens I have earned, I’ve spent them on furniture for my rooms, and other great items“.

[Sophie's friend in the blue hat wondering wistfully that if she gets close enough to the flaming torch perhaps she too might glow like her friend...]

Sophie told us that her friends also enjoy SmallWorlds and play it frequently. They all feel that its a great place to log on to “because we can chat quicker than other sites and it’s almost like talking face to face thanks to the amazing avatar generator. We are all impressed by the awesome graphics!  SmallWorlds is our home away from home“

Thanks Sophie for helping out SmallWorlds beyond the call of helper duty!

Have Fun, Stay Safe
When you meet new people on SmallWorlds, its really important that you remember to observe good Internet Safety rules. Remember that you really have no guarantees just who it is that you are chatting to in-world - a cool looking avatar may not be who he or she seems to be!   Just remember the Golden Rules: 1 - Don’t share any personal details with new online friends and 2 - never arrange to meet in public alone. We’ll be publishing a blog very soon on Internet Safety with lots more information to help you have fun and play safe.

Soon we’ll be giving you and your friends the option to subscribe to a weekly events guide – providing you with more great reasons to come and spend some time together on SmallWorlds.

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Pages: [1]   Go Up