VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9/19/2008 Ahoy, Ye Scurvy Knaves  (Read 2883 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
9/19/2008 Ahoy, Ye Scurvy Knaves
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:24 PM »

SmallWorlds Blog
Ahoy, ye scurvy knaves
September 19th, 2008 - Mitch Olson

Ahoy There Mateys - yes, its International Talk Like A Pirate day, and we’d like to invite you to weigh your anchor in here at Smallworlds.  Getting ready for TLAPD had us all rushing to re-clothe our avatars in red and black, and brushing up on the 5 A’s of pirate lingo (see below).

Pirate Themed Missions

There’s a couple of Pirate Themed missions here at SmallWorlds to get you into the swing of things.  Check out these two (click on the Missions icon on the bottom toolbar once you are in-world)

A Pirates Life for Me! and
Captain Sio’s Lost Treasure

Essential Pirate Lingo
To help you sound like the real thing, add these 5 essentials to your lingo for the day.  Of course there’s a heap more advanced pirate-speak out there, so lets consider this the bare minimum!

Ahoy! - "Hello!"
Avast! - "Stop and pay attention!"
Aye! - "Yes, I agree with everything you just said or did!"
Aye aye! - "I’ll get right on that captain!"
Arrr! - (most often confused with arrrgh, the sound you make when you hurt ye-self). "Arrr!" can mean "yes," "I agree," "I’m happy," "I’m enjoying this," and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." (these being just a few of the wonderful possibilities of Arrr!)

Pirate Chat In-world
To assist you with chatting in-world like a pirate:  we’ve got a couple of starting points for you.

EMPL:            Eat My Peg Leg
L2HD:            Learn to Horndance
Rme3>te        Arrr! me hearties!
WWLJSPD?     What would Long John Silver’s Parrot do? and of course,
YHHABOR       Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum

Did you Know  the origins of "Walk the Plank" - It was considered cruel to have a dog onboard, so pirates who missed their pets, would often take the plank for a walk.  "Arrr that’s a hard looking dog ye have there, Aye, his barks worse than his bite".   (SmallWorlds staff will neither confirm nor deny the legitimacy of this claim).

Enjoy International Talk Like A Pirate Day  - we hope you spend some of it in SmallWorlds!

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Pages: [1]   Go Up