VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Would You Do? Resolved  (Read 5417 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
What Would You Do? Resolved
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:00 PM »

Okay, I need some advice.  I have worked very hard to promote my own missions and get people in the room to play them.

There is another player (name withheld) that has a mission.  The last task of his mission is to go through a door.  The door teleports players to my room.  In order to complete the task of his mission, players must essentially "spam" my room.  They are required to say, "I just come from ______(name) Mission! Come try it out!"

I do know the player's name.  He used to have this mission end in a different  players room.  Even when it was not ending in my room I boycotted the mission because of the spamming.  Back then, I even went so far as to tell him I did not approve of his tactic.  Does he suffer from memory loss?

As of right now I have set a reaction.  When anyone says _________ (name) my bookcase replies, "Happy's missions are so much better that his.  Stay here and try her missions instead."  I'd have people spam his room---but then that would just give his mission more players. 

What would you do?  Ask him to remove it?  Keep the silly interaction and let it go? Any other ideas? 
Should I get really creative and make a mission where players must find him and say, "_______ (name) please don't have people spam Happy's room!"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:42 PM by souper_happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:19 PM »

wow you stuck between a rock and a hard place. But I would put a block on the saying of his missions. I would be appalled if I was doing his mission and ended up spamming some one elses room. So I would have the book shelf say something like I do not belief in mission that spam others. Sorry please try mine. They are easy and fun. So that the people are not out credits if they stay to do yours.

That is one thing I do not like about small worlds the real world jerk attitudes that no one needs on line. So people will not complete his mission thus no credits for him. And no making it to the popular board.
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:26 PM »

My initial reaction was to find a way to block them from coming.  The fact that he did this without asking would make me very mad and I would not feel that I should have to spend my time tracking him down to discuss it. 

However, it's not fair to the people who are doing his mission to be out of tokens, so I would probably try contacting staff and seeing if they could shut him down.  I would also hope that they could somehow keep this from being able to be done.  Perhaps a person should have to get permission from the owner of the room before linking a door?  I think a simple invitation such as in instant message contacts would work. 

Sorry to hear this has happened to you Happy.  If you use his name as a boot word will it boot the player before they get to finish the mission?  I would use that as a last resort if I didn't get help from staff.
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

FurballWench

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:59 PM »

I didn't feel it was fair to boot an innocent player either . The bookcase simply displays an auto popup message.  As if a player was speaking it in response to the "task spam".  (It is much like my guest book that greets players)   Once they say the sentence his mission is done and it awards the tokens and XP. 

The ironic thing--I saw him in my doorway twice this afternoon.  I should have known he was up to something. He never stops by my place.   

If a player "cancels" a mission before it is complete, they do get the entry fee automatically refunded.  They would however be out of the time they spent on his mission. 

I'm afraid if I do create a mission where players approach him it could be considered harassment and get me in trouble. I'd love to be able to stop his door.  Unfortunately I do not think it is possible.  I believe the last person with this problem looked in to it. 

Maybe I will contact Staff.  It would just stink if he continues to do this to other players once I get rid of him.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:04 PM by souper_happy »

BitBehindWench

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:04 PM »

So just go with blocking the phrase. That is the best you can do. Maybe post how they wish small worlds would do something about players that spam others. They really need to deal with this before it get out of hand. Once a few do it and get away with it unfortunatley many will follow because they are immature and ignorant to others feelings.

Funny how a player can spam your room and that is not harrassment. Sure sounds like it to me.

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:21 PM »

So just go with blocking the phrase. That is the best you can do. Maybe post how they wish small worlds would do something about players that spam others. They really need to deal with this before it get out of hand. Once a few do it and get away with it unfortunatley many will follow because they are immature and ignorant to others feelings.

Funny how a player can spam your room and that is not harrassment. Sure sounds like it to me.

I did just post in the Q&A subforum for advice on how to block the door. 
Hmmm the ability to block the phrase from appearing---now that would be cool---

Spamming is on the "report button". 

For now I have reported the player and temporarily closed my homespace to non-members. 
The room has a new name too..."Closed Due To An Unauthorized Door (Sorry)"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:37 AM by souper_happy »

BitBehindWench

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 10:06 AM »

Wow Happy!  I had no idea that could even be done in SW, but it just goes to show all the things that CAN currently be done.   :uhuh2:

I'm so sorry you have to go through this.   :bighug:

Since I don't play SW enough to even know where to begin with this issue, I think the best thing is to report to Staff, just like you have done it sounds like. 

Obviously the innocent players going on this person's mission have no clue what they are in store for.  Also, they probably are unaware that if they didn't finish the mission they would probably be out of any tokens spent on it. (which from what you said, if you don't finish, you get your tokens back - I for one didn't know this)  Which is what I would think automatically, not knowing any different.  But of course they would be out of time spent on it too.

Please keep us updated, as I'm sure we can all learn from this issue.
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
Re: What Would You Do? Resolved
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 01:44 PM »

I am please to say when I logged in to SmallWorlds today I had the following message in my mail:

The door and mission have been disabled, the owner has been notified to not do it again

I love good customer service! 

BitBehindWench

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:58 PM »

yeah that is great news. To me that was harrassment so cheers to good customer service. Especially when Happy is a popular postive player :)

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:22 PM »

I am so happy to hear this!  Smallworlds staff does seem to be very good about responding to issues, I'm glad to know they are keeping up the good work!   :2thunbs:
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

FurballWench

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 01:36 PM »

Awesome news Happy!   :2thunbs:

Thanks for the update and glad to hear all went well, sounds like without too much pain either.  Nice!   :hug:
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:
Pages: [1]   Go Up