VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Store Coming  (Read 6969 times)

Disney Dreams

Christmas Store Coming
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:38 AM »

2 Thoughts if anyone from VFK lurks here:

1 - Hinting sign - fun!
2 - How about "Holiday store" and not just Christmas? 

- Dreams

DreamTulip

• A Yankee Fan in Red Sox Nation
    Pass me something to drink I feel faint...
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Teleport Magic
Re: Christmas Store Coming
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:49 AM »

I agree that a "Holiday" store might be a little more user friendly since there are kids from other countries and of course various beliefs and backgrounds playing.  Hopefully there will be a mix of items.  I am excited about Christmas and winter items as it is the most wonderful time of the year...
~Dream
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:56 AM by DreamTulip »
  You say I'm a wench, like it's a bad thing!
            FaintingForADrinkWench

:pmickey:

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:53 AM »

I saw this too Dreams! Woot!  :wavet: I am so excited to see a Christmas Store! I am sure they will have lots of Christmas items and items for other Holidays during December. I am so hoping for giant elegant Victorian Christmas trees for our rooms! Getting excited already!  :dance2: -Walks around humming, "Frosted window panes, candles gleaming inside - Painted candy canes on the tree."

Also, I may be in the minority here, but I like that it is called Christmas Store. We all know there are other holidays observed during December and I'm sure the items will reflect that. That being said, though, the mainstream of items here will be Christmas items. I can't wait to see what they do for Christmas, they really outdid themselves for halloween!
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Disney Dreams

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:55 AM »

Also, I may be in the minority here, but I like that it is called Christmas Store. We all know there are other holidays observed during December and I'm sure the items will reflect that. That being said, though, the mainstream of items here will be Christmas items. I can't wait to see what they do for Christmas, they really outdid themselves for halloween!

If all they are going to offer is Christmas items, I agree 100% with you, Princess.  I suppose I am hoping that they are going to be more encompassing and recognize other winter holidays as well... in which case it should be a Holiday Store.  Unless of course they have a store for each holiday.

ETA: Since we can't even say Chanukah (in any possible spelling), I think that clarifies that.  And yes, I have passed the suggestion on to staff to at least let us SAY Chanukah. :)  I think this is a giant error on behalf of the VFK team.  Not cool.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:44 PM by Disney Dreams »

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:38 PM »

I agree they should have a holiday store.  Hopefully they will add one in another land. 

Let's see if they capitalize December quicker than they fixed the images in AWA.   :notme:
BTW Are they fixed yet?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:46 PM by souper_happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

PrincessWendyBird

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 01:15 PM »

I am sure if you made the suggestion to be able to say the word, they will add it. They seem to be adding words as they go. My guess is as December rolled around, they would have added it.

Did you send in your suggestion through the Help button? You should - they want you to use it to suggest things like dictionary words they may not have added yet. I was speaking with Enigma and Legend about that one night - they want us to use the Help for those type of suggestions because it will get to the developers more quickly. I will send it in as well when I log back in. Hugs.  :hug:

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 01:27 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has been in the old Halloween store.  It has been remodeled, but still sells Halloween stuff.

:crazy2: Krazy_Kim :crazy2:
I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^

KingQuackATac

• HEY!! Who stole the "gas5" smiley?
  • Fireworks Magic
  • Always a Pirate Duck
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:37 PM »

I don't think VFK is trying to offend anyone by calling it "Christmas Store". My guess is that the items in the Christmas Store will be mainly themed around the holiday of Christmas. If there are other items themed around the holidays of other religions, that would be a bonus.

It wasn't long ago that you could only find Christmas items at stores. Now you can find things for all kinds of holidays of other faiths.

But I don't think stores in America, or in VFK, should have to re-title their advertisments because a few get offended.

If I say "Merry Christmas" and someone else says "Happy (holiday other than Christmas)" I won't be offended. I'll just understand that each of us has different beliefs.

--King

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:45 PM »

Yay Christmas store! And I love the way they redid the Halloween store inside and the snowflakes on their door!

Disney Dreams

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:42 PM »

I don't think VFK is trying to offend anyone by calling it "Christmas Store". My guess is that the items in the Christmas Store will be mainly themed around the holiday of Christmas.
I also don't think they are trying to offend anyone, but IF there are items other than Christmas items, it is offensive to some.  If there are ONLY Christmas items sold in the Christmas Store, then I would hope that VFK would have the thoughtfulness to offer items for Channukah as well (and Kwanzaa IF they believe that there are players that celebrate it) elsewhere in VFK.

If there are other items themed around the holidays of other religions, that would be a bonus.
This would be very offensive.  Offering Channukah items is not a "bonus."  It is something that should be taken into consideration and offered appropriately. 

It wasn't long ago that you could only find Christmas items at stores. Now you can find things for all kinds of holidays of other faiths.
VFK is supposed to be an educational game, not a representation of the retail world which is based on making a profit.  To exclude Channukah would be to fail to acknowledge the other majorly celebrated holiday during the winter season.  It was not long ago that woman could not vote.  That does not mean that we should consider it a bonus that woman can vote now.  Stores choose whether or not to offer Channukah items based on financial factors.  That is a non-issue in VFK.  To only have Christmas items in a game that is geared towards families and has the intent of educating would be drastically short-sighted.

But I don't think stores in America, or in VFK, should have to re-title their advertisments because a few get offended.
I agree completely, IF what is being advertised is indeed Christmas.  However, please do not sell a menorah in a Christmas shop.  That is offensive and inconsiderate.

If I say "Merry Christmas" and someone else says "Happy (holiday other than Christmas)" I won't be offended. I'll just understand that each of us has different beliefs.
Agree 100%.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:46 PM by Disney Dreams »

PrincessWendyBird

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 11:12 PM »

Well, King and I are sitting here laughing at how this thread has turned into the Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays issue. Hugs to you Dreams, we want you to know we totally understand where you are coming from with this. I am sure by the time December rolls around, we will all have things to be excited about.  :dance2:

Knowing VFK, I bet there will be some quests to educate us about the different holidays and perhaps a Chanukah store with items sold during the celebration.  I think it would be neat to see an event like the maze event held each night during the holiday, with a quest to pull it all together at the end. If anyone has ideas like this, you should use your help button to let them know. Hugs  :bighug:

Disney Dreams

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 12:54 AM »

Well, King and I are sitting here laughing at how this thread has turned into the Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays issue. Hugs to you Dreams, we want you to know we totally understand where you are coming from with this. I am sure by the time December rolls around, we will all have things to be excited about.  :dance2:

Knowing VFK, I bet there will be some quests to educate us about the different holidays and perhaps a Chanukah store with items sold during the celebration.  I think it would be neat to see an event like the maze event held each night during the holiday, with a quest to pull it all together at the end. If anyone has ideas like this, you should use your help button to let them know. Hugs  :bighug:

Funny, I don't see it as a Christmas / Channukah discussion so much as a discussion of VFK being inclusive as opposed to exclusionary.

I had an in game discussion with VFK staff this afternoon about the lack of the inclusion of the word Chanukah in the dictionary, as well as sharing my hope that they were not going to forget Chanukah with planning December fun in VFK.  The reply was more or less an attempt to get me very excited about amazing Christmas celebrations that are planned.  - sigh - 

So, I shared my ideas and beyond that, it's not my company and since I am not a paying customer, I suppose I can only hope that if staff hears similar suggestions from those who pay to play they will recognize the need to be more broad-minded than just Christmas. 

Hugs back at you Princess!

- Dreams

Elysabeth

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:17 AM »

Just my 2 cents, but the themed area appears to be based on the Victorian era and Christmas was the big holiday celebrated in Victorian England. Christmas has become, for most, a non-religious holiday, thus reaching out to the biggest group of people. One person mentioned Kwanzaa. Since it's only been around for about 40 years, it might seem out of place in the Victorian era.

And how about just enjoying what is added to the game without the soapboxing? I don't think they are trying to make any kind of statement, just a game for people to enjoy.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:11 AM »

I agree that Victorian era and December makes me think of Christmas trees, decorations, gifts, etc.

Hopefully they will do quests to educate us about different holidays. Good idea Princess, I like the maze and quest to pull it all together thought you have.

Funny, I don't see it as a Christmas / Channukah discussion so much as a discussion of VFK being inclusive as opposed to exclusionary.

I had an in game discussion with VFK staff this afternoon about the lack of the inclusion of the word Chanukah in the dictionary, as well as sharing my hope that they were not going to forget Chanukah with planning December fun in VFK.  The reply was more or less an attempt to get me very excited about amazing Christmas celebrations that are planned.  - sigh - 

So, I shared my ideas and beyond that, it's not my company and since I am not a paying customer, I suppose I can only hope that if staff hears similar suggestions from those who pay to play they will recognize the need to be more broad-minded than just Christmas. 

Hugs back at you Princess!

- Dreams

I would think they would include other items as well. Not sure which staff you spoke to Dreams but keep in mind some staff don't really know what is planned or when things will show up. Perhaps the staff you need to speak with is a developer instead. Or use the Help or Contact Us button as suggested.

I can't wait to see what's planned for Christmas season myself, I would absolutely Love to see a Victorian Entry room with the stairs decorated in pine/green garlands! And a Victorian tree that we could decorate in colors of our choice!  Even purple for Ducky!

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 08:39 AM »

Just my 2 cents, but the themed area appears to be based on the Victorian era and Christmas was the big holiday celebrated in Victorian England. Christmas has become, for most, a non-religious holiday, thus reaching out to the biggest group of people. One person mentioned Kwanzaa. Since it's only been around for about 40 years, it might seem out of place in the Victorian era.

And how about just enjoying what is added to the game without the soapboxing? I don't think they are trying to make any kind of statement, just a game for people to enjoy.

That is my take on it. In Victorian era it would be called the Christmas store. And since this is history there should be quests on other religions too. But since they would not let guys wear princess hats my guess is it stays Christmas store with a few other holiday traditions.

Just like they do now in most department stores you have your aisles of Christmas stuff and then maybe half an aisle of Other religions. Let us remember VMK's first Christmas not much for Jewish holiday it was not until the second year they made a bigger effort.

I appreciate wanting everyone to feel welcomed but if a smaller group of Christians push to change the word Channukah to a more acceptable word say Light festival would you not feel some sort of ouch.  I think by trying to get everyone to celebrate together it takes away from all our specials days. Both Jewish, Christian, African, Muslim etc.

So in the end by deciding to make it politically correct we all loose something. Christmas is so secular its about Santa and gifts it too has lost its true meaning.

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

Disney Dreams

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 10:55 AM »

...Not sure which staff you spoke to Dreams but keep in mind some staff don't really know what is planned or when things will show up. Perhaps the staff you need to speak with is a developer instead. Or use the Help or Contact Us button as suggested.

Sent a comment to Help that I had a suggestion for something in game if anyone was available to discuss it.  About 5 minutes later an IM popped up on my screen.  I appreciated the access to a "live" person to share ideas with in game.

- Dreams

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 02:28 PM »

Let's see if they capitalize December quicker than they fixed the images in AWA.   :notme:
BTW Are they fixed yet?

Been playing a few bird games myself today, with the new Enchantment being released.   :notme:

To answer your question Happy .... No.

Might be time to use that helpful little Help button now.   ;)   VFK does want to know about these things.
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:
Pages: [1]   Go Up