VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10/7 National Cyber Security Awareness Month  (Read 3029 times)

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
10/7 National Cyber Security Awareness Month
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:42 PM »

National Cyber Security Awareness Month
October 7th, 2008

October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month! Whether you’re a parent or a child, Elf Island wants to help you to stay safe when you’re online.

One of the best ways to keep your computer safe is to make sure you have spy ware and antivirus software installed and run them both regularly. Always back-up your important files, so that if your computer does get a virus, your files are safe and sound!

Never share personal information to ANYONE while your online, such as your name, location, or any means of contact. Unfortunately, you don’t always know people’s motives. If someone asks you for personal information, don’t share it and make sure to tell your parents. Always be sure to use secure passwords, so that no one can break into your online accounts.

If you get an email from someone you don’t recognize, don’t open it and make sure not to click any links or view any strange attachments. Beware of viruses transferred through email and watch out for email scams that might request personal information or money from you.

Also remember to never enter credit card information or sensitive usernames and passwords onto public computers. You never know who may be watching or trying to log the information you have input.

And, of course, if you’re a parent, monitor your child’s online activity. Make sure they’re following the above tips and only visiting sites that you know and trust.

This is just scratching the surface of online safety. For more information, check out the National Cyber Security Alliance at: http://www.staysafeonline.org

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:42 PM by Purpleduck »
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Pages: [1]   Go Up