VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical/Security Question about VFK  (Read 3259 times)

mummykat

Technical/Security Question about VFK
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:15 PM »

I have been wondering about this issue and thought I would ask all of you as I'm sure you are more savvy about these techie issues than I am.

Does it concern anyone else that there is NOT a specific Logout/Sign Out button on VFK?  By not having such a button does it compromise users when they close out the game? It seems all other games that I have played and boards that I have used have a specific logout/sign out button. And I use that to close out my session, then in additon, I close that window and open a new IE window if I have other internet surfing to do. I guess I always assumed that was the safest way to make sure the session was terminated.

So what are the pros/cons of having/not having a designated logout button?  Anyone?? Anyone??

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Flying Carpet Magic
Re: Technical/Security Question about VFK
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:25 PM »

I don't know the technical angle on this but I am not concerned about it on a few levels. 

I can tell you it seems to log out when you leave since you disappear.  Also it does not seem to work the same as VMK. VMK actually had a session number in the address and if you gave someone that specific link and had not logged in again since it would allow them to use that link to get your character in without the password, so even log in/out is not perfect from my stand point.

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:48 AM »

I agree with Adventure, and would just add another thought.

If you notice when you close the window.. even if you use that same browser window to try to get in again, it does prompt you to supply your userid/password - assuming you enter via traditional routes.  HOWEVER if you are on a public computer, say a library etc., you definitely want to close the browser window when done!  Because, as I have done a few times for speed of re-entering.. you CAN use your browser's "back" button and it will load your character again, without asking for user/pass!!

But again, that would only be cause for concern if you are using a public computer.
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

mummykat

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:55 PM »

Thanks Add and PD for your input. I KNEW some of you would have an answer for me. I guess it concerned me because as I said other games, boards, etc. do have a specific logout. Just wanted to make sure when I exit and close that browser that I am actually gone. What you both said makes sense to me. Thanks again!!   :thumb:
Pages: [1]   Go Up