VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is VFM Buddy - updated w/link  (Read 7123 times)

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Flying Carpet Magic
What is VFM Buddy - updated w/link
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:37 PM »

Not sure the level of interest here, I resisted VMK Pal because of a variety of reasons.  This time around I have decided to give whatever comes out a shot.  Quite quickly a fairly well know VMK player has put together VFK Buddy.  He released a beta version yesterday I beleive.  He is not the creator of Pal and I would not be surprised to see a second version come out by the creator of Pal. 

I have nothing to compare it to but seems to work ok.  I apparently do not have the correct program for the video to work but screen shots are a lot easier.

Anyone else have an interest in this?  I would like someone who has used Pal to give it a shot and give feed back.  Let me know I will point you in the right direction.  If I feel ok about it and get the ok I will post link here in a while. I figure I will take the chance up front.

After a day of a few of us looking this over, here is the Link to locate VFK Buddy: 

http://vfkbuddy.burbankparanormal.com/

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:02 AM by Adventuredaz »

Disney Dreams

Re: What is VFM Buddy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:49 PM »

Hey Add,

I used VMKPal for a very long time.  LOVED it.  The sign-in was great, thenever having to worry about logging myself out with hitting backspace, and being the photo crazed-person that I am, the screen capture feature was FABULOUS.  I was never once hacked.

I do not know who made the program you mention.  This is the first I have heard of it.  If you want to send me some more details, I'll check it out and let you know how it compares.

- Dreams

P.S. Hope you had fun at the races.

NotAZoo

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:52 PM »

Just curious what implications this may have around VFK as a whole since I remember the folks at VMK having a cow whenever the topic of VMK Pal came up.    Not to be a "Negative Nancy" but just wondering if anyone has run this past the good folks at VFK on this being ok and not messing things up.   My understanding is the functionality is seemless to the system and is more of a front end macro type tool, but just figured I would ask the question.

Disney Dreams

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:02 PM »

Just curious what implications this may have around VFK as a whole since I remember the folks at VMK having a cow whenever the topic of VMK Pal came up.    Not to be a "Negative Nancy" but just wondering if anyone has run this past the good folks at VFK on this being ok and not messing things up.   My understanding is the functionality is seemless to the system and is more of a front end macro type tool, but just figured I would ask the question.

VMK Staff had the ability to see what browser we were using when signed in to VMK.  I HAVE to believe this meant that they also could tell if we were using Pal or not, although I do not know that part for a fact (maybe someone else does?).

I had asked many times, "Can a played get a ban for using VMK Pal?"

The answers I received from different staff (hosts and vmks) was always along the lines of:
- We do not support VMK Pal, but do not ban for using it.
- Never use anything in a way that goes against VMK values.
- If you think you might be doing something against values, don't do it. (Interesting to note that the ONLY time I got this reply was the day before it was announced that VMK was closing.)

As for the second paraphrased reply: VMK Pal has a feature that allows you to store phrases and auto-type them.  I can only imagine that the replies I received through the years referencing "against VMK values" might have been in relation to using a shortkeys-like program.  That said, Carioca (makers of VMKPal) VERY smartly built a delay function into their auto-text feature so you could not use it 2x within a certain short time period (5 seconds I think?).

I believe that the first paraphrased reply is the truth.  I used it for a VERY long time.  I have friends that used it.  Not one of us were ever banned from VMK.

My hope is that the VFK group would have the same stance.

Just my opinion, nothing official,
Dreams

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:09 PM »

Guess I did not mention author is Hawkster.  NotAZoo your the computer person, I never was worried about the value thing just never felt I needed it.  This currently has no speed chat built in - that was the one part of Pal that no way around it violated the rules.  I also believe people figured out a way to use it to their advantage for quests and games.  I guess it is like having a gun -depends what you do with it. Dreams - sending you the info.

Quote from: Hawk
I've been seeing a lot (and I mean A LOT) of concern regarding the usage of VFKBuddy in relation to the VFK Constitution. I know that none of us want to break the game's rules, so here's a description of why VFKBuddy is not a violation of the VFK Constitution.

The VFK Constitution rule states (and I quote directly from http://www.virtualfamilykingdom.com/constitution.php): "You may not use any
third-party software with VFK. If you didn’t find it at www.virtualfamilykingdom.com, you may not use it here."

The biggest concern regards exactly what kind of program VFKBuddy actually is. It is a wrapper program. The only thing that VFKBuddy does that relates to the actual game is displaying it within its own window, which is just what any web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc. does. There is no code-to-code interaction between the program and the game, nor is there any feature in VFKBuddy which allows you to automate anything in VFK nor gain an unfair advantage. VFKBuddy does not have any physical interaction with the game past displaying it. By placing these limits on what the program can do, VFKBuddy is not being used *with* the game, but it is being used *around* the game which is perfectly within the rules of the VFK Constitution. Essentially, if you can use a web browser to access the game, you can use VFKBuddy because it's essentially like a browser with a fancy user interface and awesome features.

Every single thing that VFKBuddy does (screen capture, video recording, etc) is done within its own container and its own code, never having anything at all to do with the functionality of the game. The two stay completely separate at all times. For example, the "Take Pic" button is the same as if you used the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, pasted the image into a graphics program, and cropped it; there is no interaction with the game itself.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:59 PM »

I used VMK Pal every time I signed into VMK.  I LOVED it.  Taking screen shots was my big plus for using it.  So much easier, and I didn't have to mess around with any Paint program.  Liked the photo album feature as well.  Also, signing in was so much easier as well.  I never used it for hot keys, magnifier, storing codes, etc.  I also loved the clock and calendar feature alot!  Because I'm in Illinois, I pretty much went by whatever time Pal had displayed ~ even though I was very use to the time difference anyway.  The calendar was a nice reminder as to what Host events were going on, and when they ended.

I never got hacked while using it.  Yes, I had my fair share of errors.  But I think they were all memory related errors and nothing to do with Pal.  In fact, I will say that I had way less errors using VMK Pal, than I did using Internet Explorer or Firefox ~ if that's even possible.  I believe it to be true.

As far as Pal being unfair advantage to the game, it just wasn't true.  It's a browser wrapper or skin ~ that's it.  I never got banned or in trouble by vmk for using Pal.  I will go with everyone else in saying that vmk always said we would not be banned for using it, and just that they wouldn't support it ~ and so I did use it, everyday!

I have also read somewhere else that VFK staff was already asked about using VFKBuddy.  They didn't seem to have a problem with it.  I think another VFK Player actually was quoted as emailing VFK and got a reply, saying it was fine.

I would be interested in using something along the lines of VMK Pal for VFK too.  Feel free to send me the link, Add.  I'll give it a go.  Oh, and I think Hawkster is a very nice guy ~ met him more than a few times in game.  I don't think that he would try and put anyone in harms way with VFK, and this program he created. 

:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:30 PM »

We used Pal as well and really loved the photo feature especially. I find myself scrambling already trying to copy and paste into paint fast enough when we are on VFK. Add, if you wouldn't mind, could you send us the link as well? Thanks!  :waveh:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

NotAZoo

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49 PM »

Very cool stuff since I never really thought of using the VMK Pal or understood its advantages outside of Pics and logging in.   I guess I would definitely give the VFK Buddy a try if it keeps things nice and neat for you.   

Good information folks, thanks!

thealienstitch

• Lag may not be a new item,
    but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
  • Blood Type: Espresso
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:02 PM »

Just thought I would give you all a heads up on this, even if I am not playing VFK. Hawkster is a friend of mine on VMK and in Real Life, and is a really good dude. He is honest, hard working and a really good friend. When I was told by Boolani what he had created I was impressed, and even thought about the possibility of playing VFK down the road. Glad to see something like Pal, cause I used Pal and simply loved it. Hugs to you all.....................Fee
The good old days, the honest man, The restless heart, the Promised Land. A subtle kiss that no one sees, A broken wrist and a big trapeze. Oh well I don't mind, if you don't mind. 'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine. Before you go, can you read my mind?- "Read My Mind" by The Killers

candlelady

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:08 PM »

I used pal everytime I logged into VMK I loved it, screen shots picture album, quick log in.  I was never hacked and I too enjoyed the calendar. I wasn't so good at reading the newsletter which may have been the con of using pal, I didn't ever see the VMK front page unless someone told me there was new info. I would be interested in trying the VFKBuddy!

:type:

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
Re: What is VFM Buddy - updated w/link
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:10 AM »

I have updated the first post with the link - It appears to be a pretty simple application.  I would rate it as an A - at this moment on usefullness and function within the game because it is still in development and what I have heard about Pal.  As far as easy access to the files for down loading and retrieving pictures and video - I give it a B.  These functions could be easier.  On Quality of the Pictures and video - I give it a A+ So over all it scores around an A- leaving some room for improvement.

I was able to find the files for the graphics and modify the look for myself as I wish - not sure how this will effect any updates but I am playing around with it a bit.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:16 AM by Adventuredaz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up