VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quest author points  (Read 5165 times)

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Flying Carpet Magic
Quest author points
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:38 PM »

I am curious if anyone has given any thought to how the quest author points work, that are used to rank quest machine operators. The good news is i don't think the points are used for anything like best quest determination. I have developed a working theory and formula that I beleive is used but I am wondering if anyone else has discovered this VMK Secret.  You only see this info when you start another persons active quest.  I shows in the bottom left side this quests rating and the authors quest points as well as top authors. 

After some feed back I will give my working theory.  The results may be upsetting to some as I have noticed many very good quest operators absent from the top author list and have develpoed a new unofficial name for it ... fortunately people that play the quests know if it is good and the number and ranking isn't all that important.

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
Re: Quest author points
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:03 AM »

Hi Adventure!

Someone had told me one day, many months ago.. that I was on that list.  I learned then, that you could only see the list from someone else's kiosk, not your own - as you discovered.

We tested our theory and it worked.. it is simply the "addition" of all the points that quest players give you at the end of your quest.  You have from 1 to 5 stars to "select" to rate it.  Those are translated to literally 1 - 5 points, and are totalled.  Any and all quests run off of a given kiosk continue to be totalled regardless of how often you run a quest, or how often you change the quest. 

I would cite, as an example, although I have not looked in a while, that our own SaraAriel and SillyQueen are quite high up on that list, as for a very long time, they ran wonderful quests day in and day out.. very quickly amassing points.  I imagine Ranch is still up there too.

I know I have slipped off the listing, as I have not done one in a while (reminds me I should complete the one that is half finished LOL).

You are also correct, I believe, that those points are not used for anything.  At least we never found reason or rhyme with them.  They for sure are not associated with best quest.  Maybe it was a feature they simply decided not to utilize.  :??:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:28 AM »

I have to ask what kind of prizes were you working with?  You have what we thought was the formula untill we watched huge movement that I tested A bit.
I am going to post the list current as of monday morning.

If you look at it, people we all know run quests frequently are not on the list and people we know never run quests are high on the list.  This is due to poor design by VMK as usual, it is functional but Flawed.  Someone like SillyQueen probably should be number one.  People like AmyE, FlyingPegasus, Greeneco, ppiglett and others that are always running quests would seem shoe ins for the list even with 1's as rating.  I myself am almost on the 100 spot and yet I have never ran a quest to the general vmk public. 

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 08:08 AM »

Haha! I am still on the list! Wow!  (Well I have traded a LOT of credits for trades and those peeps may have been boosting my "count" with higher stars.)

I know I have done traditional quests using over 100 prizes each time.

But now that you mention it.. despite testing it and watching it "bump" the count.. you are right.  It doesn't make sense as just how many people would I have had to have come through my quest (AND choose 5 stars) to reach that 56,000! :ahh:

Agreed.. my theory, that did work in testing, has to be flawed.  Well, leave it to VMK to "skew" things.. even if they aren't being used for anything!  :crazy2:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:31 AM »

Haha! I am still on the list! Wow!  (Well I have traded a LOT of credits for trades and those peeps may have been boosting my "count" with higher stars.)  .... :crazy2:

GF:
Next time I shop at the Duck store...I'll be trading the credits in increments of 50... (repeat, repeat, repeat....)
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
Just Kidding
Happy

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

SaraAriel

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 09:20 AM »

I can tell you exactly how people that don't run quests are at the top.  You receive a large amount of quest points based on the amount of items/credits given away in your quest.  So the cheaters out there have discovered that if you trade large amounts of credits via kiosk, you can get an ungodly amount of quest points.  Trade 100k credits back and forth between friends and get on the quest points board  :wtf?:  We have watched some go from not on the list to passing us right by the next day.  Queen and I both have run up to 6 machines a day for almost a year straight now and our points are accurate without cheating.  You can tell who on that list has cheated and who hasn't because we all see who has quests running all the time and who doesn't.  We've talked with Lily about it and VMK contact us, but basically the answer was that the quest points don't mean anything.  Well, to us regular quest makers, it does mean something because it is a sense of accomplishment and recognition for our efforts.  It is very disheartening to see so many people cheating to get on that list.

Rant over......... :heat:

disvaclub

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:01 AM »

Yes, I have identified a few people on that list who use the quest kiosk heavily for ATM purposes only.  So I agree it is flawed in the respect of questing vs. paying out cash.

SillyQueen

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:50 AM »

Dont even get me started on cheaters!!!! :cpuhammer: according to VMK they could care less, which is pretty much they way they feel about anything these days.  :rant2:

I run so many stinking quests as does Ariel.......we worked hard and did it honestly, by providing entertainment to our questers.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:53 AM by SillyQueen »

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 01:45 PM »

Dont even get me started on cheaters!!!! :cpuhammer: according to VMK they could care less, which is pretty much they way they feel about anything these days.  :rant2:

I run so many stinking quests as does Ariel.......we worked hard and did it honestly, by providing entertainment to our questers.

Both of you do a great job with your quests.  They are always well thought out quests too. 

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Pages: [1]   Go Up