Online Worlds > Second Life

Second Life Tips

<< < (4/4)

bezoar:

--- Quote from: Tequoia on April 28, 2007, 10:01 AM ---As a noob, can we make Linden dollars without putting out real money?

~Anne
--- End quote ---

Not really, other than camping. Because L$ actually has "real worth" (i.e., L$270 =~ US$1, on various currency exchanges), there's no "easy" way to get free L$, because that's the equivalent of expecting free real money.

I personally have never purchased L$ using real money. I did spend a lot of my first 2 months in Second Life "camping" (and accumulated ~L$6,000 that way = probably ~500 hours of camping, LOL), but during the camping time, I'd be checking out SL resources / forums / blogs, and learning my way around.

I eventually taught myself scripting (my skills lie more in being a geeky programmer than a creative Photoshop designer, or a builder), and came up with a marketable script which has since sold very well. I was lucky, though, both in that I just happen to enjoy scripting, so I was having fun while learning, but also hitting a good market niche.

There's plenty of ways to have fun without L$, but if shopping is your main enjoyment, you may end up wanting a lot more L$ than you can get through camping. In the grand scheme of things, although many people (like me) are very averse to spending "real money" to get L$, remember that if you skipped two Starbucks over-priced coffees, or one el-cheapo eat-out lunch, you'd be able to afford more than L$2,000 (~166 hours worth of typical camping). It's all up to you :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version