VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone have a Second Life?  (Read 116460 times)

Bellboy

Camping Chairs Growing old
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2007, 08:17 PM »

In the long run, camping and lucky chairs got rather dull (for me anyway), so I started looking for ways to create things, which I happen to find fun. But you can get plenty far with freebie items.

It totally grows old.  But as a newbie it was a lot of fun and got me really acclimated to SL. And I got my wife a ton of clothes for her avatar!

The camping chairs become addictive in a strange way, it makes you almost feel bad for getting up to go look around.   You feel like you are loosing money by not sitting in a chair.

I often have to remind myself that this is fake money to buy fake things, that I probably wont even care about in a day or two... lol

bezoar

Re: Does anyone have a Second Life?
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2007, 08:26 PM »

>The camping chairs become addictive in a strange way, it makes you almost feel bad for getting up to go look around.   You feel like you are loosing money by not sitting in a chair.

Oh totally! I had that EXACT same reaction. "Sorry, can't explore. Must camp."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:27 PM by bezoar »

hrhkit

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2007, 01:04 PM »

OK, I am still avoiding getting a second life...I am SOOOO tempted though. sigh.

But I just wanted to say that it must be popular all over the world. I saw articles in TWO French magazines about Second Life in the last few days! One said something about the first SL Millionaire. That's about all I could get out of it...my French isn't so good. lol

bezoar

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2007, 01:52 PM »

OK, I am still avoiding getting a second life...I am SOOOO tempted though. sigh.

But I just wanted to say that it must be popular all over the world. I saw articles in TWO French magazines about Second Life in the last few days! One said something about the first SL Millionaire. That's about all I could get out of it...my French isn't so good. lol
The first SL Millionaire was probably referring to Anshe Chung, a Land Baron(ness). She is the single biggest land broker in SL, and has reportedly made more than $1M USD in the business.

And what, pray tell, is keeping you back from SL? ;)

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2007, 03:13 PM »

The first SL Millionaire was probably referring to Anshe Chung, a Land Baron(ness). She is the single biggest land broker in SL, and has reportedly made more than $1M USD in the business.

;D Be!  You just don't want to give up on us, do you? (When you bought into the game, are you getting some kind of percentage out of those of us that sign up?)   ;)  You keep trying to get me.  Now you are after Kit.  ;D

I tell you, the more I read here I know I am not 'geeky' enough, nor 'artsy' enough.  I have yet to "follow" any of your threads where you describe how to do something. No insult meant, just I "don't get it".

I think the only way, would be if someone could tell me there was a reason to be there (for not being able to script or design), AND, I would probably need someone like Bellboy to guide the uninitiated duck (as he has offered for Dreams).

So, how about my first issue?  Can any of you SLers tell me what is there to do if you don't script or design, other than looking around?
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

bezoar

« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2007, 04:22 PM »

So, how about my first issue?  Can any of you SLers tell me what is there to do if you don't script or design, other than looking around?[/color]

Please pardon, while I respond in the utmost in cynicism -- I mean the following (mostly) tongue-in-cheek. Remember that like everyone else here, I once spent every free moment I could, hanging out in VMK, to be with friends.

What do you do on VMK?

Chat. With a dictionary that makes a mockery of the word.

Socialize. With a white glove hanging over your head, if you were to reveal anything of substance about yourself.

Buy clothes and items. That look like bad cartoons, and that everyone else has identical copies of.

Collect rare items. That are given only to those obstinate enough to make it through an enormously enjoyable queue process.

Go to events. That you have no control over and frequently can not enter in the first place.

Admire the rooms. All several dozen of them. In a flat 2-dimensional world. That you can't interact with.

Experience the Disney magic. In a system that cares little for fairness, or the feelings of the people who play.

Contribute, in the end, almost nothing to how the world takes shape, and how others interact with it.

=====

Why was I trying to get any of you to join? Well, what was missing most of all for me from SL over the first two months there was any sense of community that I was connected to. Like jumping into a huge intimidating city in the real world where you had no friends, SL can be a vastly lonely place to be. With time, I'm starting to meet a few people, to say hi to and chat with. In my own small way, I'm also making a mark in the world, having created something that some people have told me is really great. Of course, it'd be even more fun if more of YOU folks were there, but I understand that the majority of people wont' "get SL", just like the majority of people don't "get" VMK.

Duck, haven't you ever tried to explain what's special about VMK to people who don't understand?

hrhkit

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2007, 04:55 PM »

Well, mainly the fact that I get quite addicted to online stuff, lol. And the problem is that I don't have enough time for the online addictions I already have! I admit though, I'm really close to jumping in!

p.s. Yes that was the name of the SL millionaire. :)

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2007, 06:51 PM »

Yes Be, I have told others of VMK.

I guess as I just explained to Kit, that despite all the troubles that VMK has.. for me it is a "Disney fix", albeit virtual.  I haven't been able to go to the parks for 10 years now.  I need that "fix".  It also doesn't grow old, as when I make new friends, it appears "fresh" again.  Seeing it through their eyes.

Yes, I understand your seeking established friends, and I appreciate your considering me one of them.  Please know it is that friendship that allowed me to poke fun at you trying to get us to join!  :notme:

It's not so much that I don't get SL.. if anything I feel quite the opposite.  That is why I was seeking knowledge of what someone that "cannot contribute to it in the script/design areas" did other than looking around.  :lost: I am hoping to find that there are things that I could "do on my own" so that I would not be dependent upon others "all the time" I was on SL.  (If that makes any sense?)

bezoar

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2007, 07:08 PM »

I guess as I just explained to Kit, that despite all the troubles that VMK has.. for me it is a "Disney fix", albeit virtual.  I haven't been able to go to the parks for 10 years now.  I need that "fix".  It also doesn't grow old, as when I make new friends, it appears "fresh" again.  Seeing it through their eyes.

Oh, I totally understand now -- and sorry if I came across as defensive -- I'm sure I was.

So true, about VMK being a great Disney fix. You've probably heard me lament repeatedly, if ONLY Disney could generate an online presence at SL, which they can't because the public backlash would be terrible. That would be perfect -- we could get our Disney Fix, and still have a less restrictive, more creative environment. But, if you are looking for the Disney fix, you're unlikely to get anything of the sort at SL, unless you (we) create it ourselves. :(

On the other hand, I do seem to recall that you keep LATE hours. One nice thing is that SL is 24 hours a day, so perhaps it could be a place to chat with VMK friends after hours?  I've run across one or both of them at ~5 to 6am EST now, which was very nice. And, as Jewel and Fan have found, freebies abound in SL. I think Fan mentioned having accumulated 13,000 items already. I thought I was bad at ~11,000.

Plus, I'd do my best to find you a nice duck avatar, that I could tint purple.

hrhkit

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2007, 07:38 PM »

OK, Be...

I am registering as we  speak after getting supremely frustrated at trying to log on tonight...

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2007, 10:43 PM »

OK, Be...

I am registering as we  speak after getting supremely frustrated at trying to log on tonight...

Hehe!  >:D You gonna tell him about the "you" you made? Or do I get to hold that over your head little missy?  >:D  :lol:  Teasing gf, but oh so very funny!

Be, no reason to apologize, I didn't take it as defensive.. just a very good representation of the "facts of life" on VMK as it exists!

Wow though! Had to laugh that you know my schedule so well!  Not only my schedule, but even offering to find me a duck avatar!  (Hmm.. wonder what else I can get if I hold out longer? :lol: )

danovara

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2007, 10:49 PM »

psst duck ask for a faster computer for me.   :notme:
sounds like a blast.  I will just have to keep reading about it here while I await newer technology to walk into my house.  :lol:

bezoar

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2007, 05:38 AM »

Hehe!  >:D You gonna tell him about the "you" you made? Or do I get to hold that over your head little missy?  >:D  :lol:  Teasing gf, but oh so very funny!

Oh, that sounds VERY promising...

On the other hand, perhaps I could tell you all what another VMK-expatriate on SL was wearing this morning. And I thought I was geeky!

hrhkit

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2007, 07:58 AM »

OK, anyone care to hear the tales of my first hour and half or so on SL? I tell you, it can only happen to me...

First off, I don't like the avatar I picked out, but it had said you can change it later, so I go to the appearance tutorial section first. Eager to make some changes that is what I start to do. But some how, I end up nearly naked. I am standing in this castle with nothing but my knickers on! ...and no clue how to put clothes back on. sigh. And people are walking all around me taking a good long look at my, ahem, very large boobs.  :hypno:

So I stand there, almost naked, changing my appearance, amused by the fact that I can change the perkiness and cleavage of my boobs. I did downsize a little. And I did figure out how to make some clothes thankfully.

Then I got to the hair. Now, my original avatar had this weird, black, Princess Leia crazy hair. Well, I wanted blonde hair of course. I didn't realize that I had to *take off* the Princess Leia hair, so I had this stupid looking two tone (black and blonde) hair. I looked like a total freak. Eventually, I found the "take off freaky Princess Leia hair" command, but not before I took my snapshot.  ::)

Then I went over to Help Island. Lord knows I needed all the help I could get. I'm wandering around and this male avatar comes up to me and grabs my boobs, that perv!  :amazed: He must hang out there and wait for all the well endowed newbies to come by. Well, I got out of there right quick.

I ended up on some other island. I went into this temple. It was very pretty and serene. No one else was there. There was this couch thingy with all these pillows, so I thought, hmm...wonder if I can sit there. So I did. Then I couldn't get up. The "stand up" button wouldn't work. I tried everything. Then I saw that I was in the "Temple of Fallen Souls" or something like that. Oh GREAT! What does that mean? I'm a sitting duck...for some other perv to come over and take advantage of me on this couch!!!!  :lost: I'm still stuck there. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get up when I log back on.

So there you have it...I'm an unattractive, well endowed avatar who has been manhandled and is stuck in a love temple on a couch and doesn't know how to get up. HELP!!!!

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2007, 08:12 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG Kit!! You did just warn me about this post!  While hysterical to read (except for the sitting duck reference  :mad: ), it IS NOT the "promotional" story to entice me to join!!

hrhkit

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2007, 08:15 AM »

OMG Kit!! You did just warn me about this post!  While hysterical to read (except for the sitting duck reference  :mad: ), it IS NOT the "promotional" story to entice me to join!!

Ah, but it is the adventures that make it fun Duck!  ;D  :P  :D  :lol:

bezoar

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2007, 09:14 AM »

Wow, Kit, sounds like you're...

... doing better than most newbies!

Don't worry, you (probably) won't be stuck on the Couch of Love when you next login. Incidentally, that reminds me of some other classic newbie moves (other than the most frequent wear the BOX of clothing on your head, instead of the removing the clothing from the box first, and then wearing it): if you use a "Dance Machine" to activate a cool set of dance moves, do NOT teleport out of the area before stopping your dancing, or else you will be trapped in the Dance Loop of Eternity. Even while sitting. And walking. And flying.

And don't teleport while sitting either (remember to Stand Up first), or when you get to the other end, you'll be stuck in the sit position, while moving around, waddling around, much like a strange... duck. ;)

And yes, I still do all these things.

Edited to add:
After confirming that Kit was both detached from her Couch of Love, and umm, "decent", I had the pleasure of meeting her briefly in SL. Apparently, her adventures with clothing (or lack thereof) have inspired her to perhaps overcompensate. I am too nice a person to post screenshots (OK, I was laughing so hard I forgot to take any), but suffice it to say that Her Royal Highness Kit looks quite dashing...

...wearing chainmail?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:23 PM by bezoar »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up