VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VMK loads real slow what can I do  (Read 15753 times)

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
VMK loads real slow what can I do
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:33 AM »

Ok I have noticed that my speed when loading VMK is real affected. I am on a wireless network. I start out at 54. somethings LOL and it goes to 36 and 24 and sometimes even lower. What is causing this. I have also noticed that it gets really slow when I am on Yahoo messenger. So I close this down and it helps. but it stays around 24.00. Until it finally loads to the map.  Usually while in the game I houver around 48 to 36. This has just started happening since using yahoo. Is this the problem.

Thanks techies for your help.
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

PirateDaisy

Re: VMK loads real slow what can I do
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:42 PM »

I am far from being a techie but I'll give it a shot.

First off, what kind of internet connection do you have? Secondly, did you just recently install yahoo messenger? Sometimes vmk does not like new programs being added after you started vmk. I've had Yahoo IM for as long as I can remember and never had problems between the two. So adding a new big program can affect how your vmk runs. Be sure to clear your cookies and cache regularly and not have big programs running in the background. Also, if you installed Yahoo IM recently, did you accept the toolbar that came along with it? If so, uninstall that toolbar, it's nothing but spyware in my opinion.

Do all of your regular clean ups to keep your pc running in tip top shape: defrag, disk clean up, run your virus and ad-aware programs regularly. Another thing I highly recommend is using Mozilla as a browser, especially with the new release. It has built in spell checker for boards, blogs and other places you may need it. Comes in handy for me since I can't spell to save my life. lol

So mainly, look for any big program you've added recently. Uninstall it and if that gets vmk running better; then that was your problem. ;)

Bellboy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:02 PM »

:cool2: What I have found is that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is the major deciding factor!  I have consistently found enormous speed differences between each of the providers here in New England.  When using Comcast broadband or ATT DSL around the Northeast I have found VMK to load really really slow and stall while in the game a lot. When using an internet connection from Charter Communications, Speakeasy DSL, or Cox broadband I find that VMK loads much faster and the stalls are mostly non-existent. 
I am not endorsing any of these providers, but my educated guess is that it is ISP routing issues. I have consistently found that even a slower DSL connection through Speakeasy.net blows away a higher speed Cable modem connection from Comcast. When I say consistently, I mean it.  It is very noticeable.

So I would say that the first thing that effects you is your connection, and second your PC/Mac. 

The in game stalls are way better now, but that is due to the stability changes that the VMK developers have made to VMK itself. 

Just my 2 pennies. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:04 PM by Bellboy »

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:35 AM »

Ok I uninstalled Yahoo tool bar and I still get slow connection to VMK. When I am on boards like this it reads connection speed 54.0 but when I try and load vmk it goes al the way down to 18.0 what is causing this. I have cleared my cookies, files etc.

Seems like lots of people are having the same loading problems. Thanks
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

tequoia

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:56 PM »

My speed drastically improved when I increased my RAM. I didn't realize we were only running 256 at the time!!! :hypno: I upped the RAM and now we fly!

Alien

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 12:33 PM »

Takes about 30 min. for me to load also.  I'm so lost with all this computer stuff.   :crazy2:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 12:42 PM by Alien »

Decoy

• Head Decoy In Charge
    Yet Still Just a Decoy...

Where'd he go now?
  • HDIC
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Nothing to See Here...
    • CRS - Caffeinated & Requiring Sugar
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 01:07 PM »

I find that sometime a short nap helps... Then you don't even notice how long it takes.

Of course with my 6 year old sitting there waiting for it to load, and no chance for a nap, I just try to keep my thoughts to myself. :sb:
...ʞɔɐq ʎɯ uo ʇɐ1ɟ ...sɐʍ ı ǝɹǝɥʇ

hrhkit

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:18 PM »

OK, since the new "improvements" (and I use that term loosely)...I have been having a terrible time logging in. I don't know what the deal is though. I haven't put any new programs on. I don't think it is the internet provider (DSL)...my DS could get into VMK on the computer next to me...yet I CAN'T!!!! I have the fastest computer in the house.  :wtf:

Anyone have any ideas?

I have already deleted temp internet files and all that...I'm sure there's something I'm missing, or not thinking about.

Help, help...this is torture...my VMK time has been severely limited lately as it is.

TIA, Kit

CoasterGuy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 01:56 PM »

There's a thread on the OTHER board about loading issues. Mals suggestion fixed some peoples problems. Here the link.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1322979

ladyboadicea

• Sub Middle Maven
  • Cursed Storm Magic
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 02:20 PM »

Hey Kit,
If Mal's suggestions don't work for you try this:
Uninstall the Yeti game. My mom was having troubles logging in and she finally deleted a bunch of things, the last thing she deleted was the Yeti game and then she was able to log in. I also had a friend that had to delete too to get VMK to work, the black hole acutally suggested it. Good luck to you :)
Roxanne

hrhkit

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 11:28 AM »

Thank you Stephen & Rox! I will try both suggestions...been so swamped, it hasn't really mattered that I haven't been able to get on quickly! lol

But I will get on it as soon as I can...I need all the help I can get!  ;) :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up