VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: American Crossword Puzzle Week! February 25th, 2011 to March 4th, 2011.  (Read 7351 times)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)

From the VFK Homepage:

Crossword Column and Outfits:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:17 AM by Astro »
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.

Thanks Astro

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!

My brain is shot tonight (and yes, many other times too :P ).  What is this consolation prize, a "crossword puzzle column"?
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....

My brain is shot tonight (and yes, many other times too :P ).  What is this consolation prize, a "crossword puzzle column"?

I just read that post (Thanks Astro!) - but I don't know either Ducky  :P

I like the pic of the flower crossword though :)

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained

My brain is shot tonight (and yes, many other times too :P ).  What is this consolation prize, a "crossword puzzle column"?

I'm assuming it's like the consolation prize last time .. blocks.  Only this time it will be like a "column" shape, instead of the blocks.

We won't know until the 25th though.

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page

I thought we might be getting that cute bee and flower.  :'( Well, I'm excited to see what the outfits look like this year! :dance2:

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

I just had to giggle a bit yesterday when I attempted the crossword puzzle. Is it just me or do they seem a little difficult for 8 to 12 year old children? Heck, I had to search for a lot of the clues and there were a few words I had never even heard of.  :??: :doh:
You say I am a wench like it's a bad thing. WEDGEWENCH

Mermaid Melusina

Here we go again!  Another Puzzle Week!
Good Luck everyone getting those puzzle outfits!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.

I just had to giggle a bit yesterday when I attempted the crossword puzzle. Is it just me or do they seem a little difficult for 8 to 12 year old children? Heck, I had to search for a lot of the clues and there were a few words I had never even heard of.  :??: :doh:
That's a commmon complaint, Ant.  I've also sent VFK (over a year ago) a list of about 6 things they could do to make the puzzles WAY more user friendly...and more in line with popular puzzle interfaces.  Apparently, they were all ignored.

The puzzles range in difficulty.  One day it can be very easy.  The next...you'd think they have someone in the back making up the words!  LOL.

GL

Fish.i:   :laugh2: :rofl1:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....

I just had to giggle a bit yesterday when I attempted the crossword puzzle. Is it just me or do they seem a little difficult for 8 to 12 year old children? Heck, I had to search for a lot of the clues and there were a few words I had never even heard of.  :??: :doh:
That's a commmon complaint, Ant.  I've also sent VFK (over a year ago) a list of about 6 things they could do to make the puzzles WAY more user friendly...and more in line with popular puzzle interfaces.  Apparently, they were all ignored.

The puzzles range in difficulty.  One day it can be very easy.  The next...you'd think they have someone in the back making up the words!  LOL.

GL

I just made a new word for the puzzles for next week  :uhuh:
I look at the words in crossword and word search and think "really? is that even a real word?"

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Re: American Crossword Puzzle Week! February 25th, 2011 to March 4th, 2011.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:25 PM »

GL

I look at the words in crossword and word search and think "really? is that even a real word?"

I can't tell you how many times I've looked up words 'after the fact' to see if they are legit.  LOL.  Some of those ARE a bit of a stretch  :uhuh:

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:41 PM »

Phew! I am glad I am not the only one. Thanks for the reassurance that I am not losing my mind.  :)

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:43 PM »

Phew! I am glad I am not the only one. Thanks for the reassurance that I am not losing my mind.  :)
LOL np!  If ya ever do lose it, just let me know.  I'll let ya borrow my metal detector  :lolg:  Hehe!  JK ;)

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 02:48 PM »

LOL np!  If ya ever do lose it, just let me know.  I'll let ya borrow my metal detector  :lolg:  Hehe!  JK ;)
:roflmao: :roflmao: I just might take you up on that!

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 06:43 AM »

Just a Bump!  

Don't forget to do your crosswords/word searches this week.  Good Luck to All!   :clapping:

Here are the new columns, and outfit for girls and boys:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:16 AM by Astro »

Flamanette

• Runs and locks herself in
    a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:41 AM »

GL

I can't tell you how many times I've looked up words 'after the fact' to see if they are legit.  LOL.  Some of those ARE a bit of a stretch  :uhuh:

I have often thought of ditching the vocabulary program for the kids' Homeschooling and using the words in these puzzles instead!  It's amazing the "new" words that can be learned by playing VFK.  I ought to send them a thank-you note for contributing to our Homeschool.

:cheerleader:

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

Mermaid Melusina

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 10:40 PM »

The new crossword outfit is very similar to last year's...I would have liked this time perhaps some pants for girls or shorts to mix and match with the ones from last year...or an I love Puzzles shirt...idk, just something a little bit different would have made it more exciting!

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

I have a question. If there are already 30 winners listed, does that mean that even if you solve the puzzle all the rest of us will get the consolation prize? In other words, do we have no chance of winning the outfit because 30 people already won?

Flamanette

a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic

I have a question. If there are already 30 winners listed, does that mean that even if you solve the puzzle all the rest of us will get the consolation prize? In other words, do we have no chance of winning the outfit because 30 people already won?

NOPE.  That is a common misconception.  You have a chance at winning the main prize no matter when you do the puzzle.  As long as you spin that spinner (crossword) /complete the puzzle (word search). Typically, the "consolation prize" is ONLY the amount of credits the spinner lands on or (I think)  250 for the word search.

During Crossword Puzzle Week however, they also give the crossword column (last year it was a block) to everyone who completes the puzzle.

One word of advice: the word search DOES NOT TELL YOU if you've won the main prize, you have to look in your inventory each time you complete  the puzzle!

Oh, and:  those top 30 listed don't ALL get the main prize either!  Only the first place person automatically gets the prize; everyone else either has to spin, or just gets it random (word search). I wish they would put a spinner on the word search!!

GL

.it
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:47 PM by Flamanette »

Mean people are like sandpaper. They may scratch you and hurt you, but in the end you come out smooth and polished and the mean person is just worn and ugly.

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

NOPE.  That is a common misconception.  You have a chance at winning the main prize no matter when you do the puzzle.  As long as you spin that spinner (crossword) /complete the puzzle (word search). Typically, the "consolation prize" is ONLY the amount of credits the spinner lands on or (I think)  250 for the word search.

During Crossword Puzzle Week however, they also give the crossword column (last year it was a block) to everyone who completes the puzzle.

One word of advice: the word search DOES NOT TELL YOU if you've won the main prize, you have to look in your inventory each time you complete  the puzzle!

Oh, and:  those top 30 listed don't ALL get the main prize either!  Only the first place person automatically gets the prize; everyone else either has to spin, or just gets it random (word search). I wish they would put a spinner on the word search!!

GL

.it
Thank you very much Flamanette!  :wavet:

Krazy_Kim

• Krazy like a Faux
    Put Down the Hammer

Wow, this is the first time I am seeing this post.  Last year Mom and I never won the outfit so I got some catching up to do this year.  Glad I read this before it was over with.  LOL!  :doh:  :laugh2:

:crazy2: Krazy_Kim :crazy2:
I like work! It fascinates me! I can sit an look at it for hours! ^..^

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

I have been trying for that darn outfit everyday and still nothing. Hopefully I will get it done before the end of the week. But if not, I will just wear my old "stinking" brown pants.  :lolg:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.

I have been trying for that darn outfit everyday and still nothing. Hopefully I will get it done before the end of the week. But if not, I will just wear my old "stinking" brown pants.  :lolg:

As you can see, the puzzles are stingy with giving out the top awards.  It sometimes takes a great many puzzles before landing one.  Best of luck to you ;)

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

I have ran 9 clones a day, twice a day and still no win for the puzzles. Is it really this difficult? Am I just doing them to late?  :sos: :sos:

Flamanette

a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic

I have ran 9 clones a day, twice a day and still no win for the puzzles. Is it really this difficult? Am I just doing them to late?  :sos: :sos:

For some reason, I feel like THIS prize is more difficult to get!  I don't know why that is.  But I had to do an awful lot of them get the 4 outfits that we need for our family!

It doesn't matter how late you do the puzzles; you have the same odds of landing on the WIN space.  I have done a puzzle 5 minutes before the next one is ready to go up, and won.  I don't know why suddenly, with this prize it is more difficult, especially in light of the fact that they are celebrating Puzzle Week.  But that is what I love about VFK, nothing ever really makes sense!

GL to you Ant!

.it

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained

It IS really that difficult to win.  Even though it's totally random, the odds are insane.  The same I feel is true for winning the puzzle lamps as well.  I participated in all 3 puzzles, at various times yesterday, and ran clones.  No win at all.  I'm sure it was well over 40 puzzles, I quit counting.  'eh at least I got credits sometimes... although got plenty of ZEROS too.  boo.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.

It IS really that difficult to win.  Even though it's totally random, the odds are insane.  The same I feel is true for winning the puzzle lamps as well.  I participated in all 3 puzzles, at various times yesterday, and ran clones.  No win at all.  I'm sure it was well over 40 puzzles, I quit counting.  'eh at least I got credits sometimes... although got plenty of ZEROS too.  boo.

+1

9 clones probably won't cut it.   :uhuh2:

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

+1

9 clones probably won't cut it.   :uhuh2:
Thank you all for letting me know how this works. I tried my last shot today with all of my girl clones. I am going out tonight so I will not have time to run umpteen million clones through another puzzle. So I guess I will have to wait until next year since this is the last day. If 9 clones won't cut it, then that tells me a lot. And I thought running 9 clones was excessive. Wow! I can only imagine how many clones and puzzles poor Flamanette had to do to get FOUR outfits.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:41 PM by Antjewel »

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.

+1

9 clones probably won't cut it.   :uhuh2:
Thank you all for letting me know how this works. I tried my last shot today with all of my girl clones. I am going out tonight so I will not have time to run umpteen million clones through another puzzle. So I guess I will have to wait until next year since this is the last day. I told myself after VMK that I would never allow a game to rule my life. If 9 clones won't cut it, then that tells me a lot. And I thought running 9 clones was excessive. Wow! I can only imagine how many clones and puzzles poor Flamanette had to do to get FOUR outfits.

Very true, Ant.  I know many people who have created a large amount of clones (I think most people have upwards of 20 clones, at least).  It's the only way to 'level the playing field'.  It's a shame, but a fact of life on VFK now.  And it keeps getting worse...because people keep making more clones...forcing others to make more clones.  It's a vicious circle that was allowed by VFK.  There's no way to stop it now.  Shame.

PrincessWendyBird

Not sure if this will help at this point or not, but I have had more luck with the word search puzzles for the outfits. I don't know if maybe less people are doing those or if I have just gotten lucky? Plus, when I am having a day with lots of pain, I can do the word searches with one hand.

Flamanette

a room in order to build
  • Bat Magic

+1

Thank you all for letting me know how this works. I tried my last shot today with all of my girl clones. I am going out tonight so I will not have time to run umpteen million clones through another puzzle. So I guess I will have to wait until next year since this is the last day. If 9 clones won't cut it, then that tells me a lot. And I thought running 9 clones was excessive. Wow! I can only imagine how many clones and puzzles poor Flamanette had to do to get FOUR outfits.

Well, I should say that I was helped by the fact that we were lucky enough to win the evening puzzle twice this week: once Flame got tops, and once I got tops!  So I only needed to get one more of each by doing spins.  But still, it was ridiculous, and not really the way I want to spend my lunch hour most of the week.

Maybe today WON'T be the last day; maybe they will forget to change it for a few more days -- especially with all the hype around the Space event.

.it

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained

+1

Thank you all for letting me know how this works.  I told myself after VMK that I would never allow a game to rule my life. If 9 clones won't cut it, then that tells me a lot. And I thought running 9 clones was excessive. Wow!

yup, Flame is right.  Although, I've refused to make more clones for quite some time now.   :lolg:

Amen to that Ant!  VFK is really no different than VMK.  Except VFK is getting worse, in that they are changing out prizes WAY to often.  Some things have only been out once, and some events you can't even get a chance to get into.  Therefore, many players are not able to acquire them at all.  Indeed I've missed plenty, I'm okay with that -- I refuse to let a game rule my life as well.   ;)

Not sure if this will help at this point or not, but I have had more luck with the word search puzzles for the outfits. I don't know if maybe less people are doing those or if I have just gotten lucky? Plus, when I am having a day with lots of pain, I can do the word searches with one hand.

I'd say lucky, because I've done quite a few word searches as well.   :crazy:   And I actually like doing the word searches.

PrincessWendyBird

+1

Thank you all for letting me know how this works.  I told myself after VMK that I would never allow a game to rule my life. If 9 clones won't cut it, then that tells me a lot. And I thought running 9 clones was excessive. Wow!

yup, Flame is right.  Although, I've refused to make more clones for quite some time now.   :lolg:

Amen to that Ant!  VFK is really no different than VMK.  Except VFK is getting worse, in that they are changing out prizes WAY to often.  Some things have only been out once, and some events you can't even get a chance to get into.  Therefore, many players are not able to acquire them at all.  Indeed I've missed plenty, I'm okay with that -- I refuse to let a game rule my life as well.   ;)

Agreed and agreed! I never want to go back to the way we played VMK. I loved that game, but as sad as it was when it was gone, it gave us a new freedom in a way. We swore, never again, would we play online for anything but fun and friends. Hugs everybody! :bighug: :hug: You all are the true "rare" to us!

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.

Sigh.  As much as I do LOVE doing word searches,  my eyes can't handle them anymore.  I can't get through the first puzzle without my eyes completely tearing up.  I dunno...maybe it's my meds?  Seriously depressing, but I'm stuck doing the crosswords. :(
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up