VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11/18/2010 The Trading Post and More!  (Read 9544 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
11/18/2010 The Trading Post and More!
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:32 PM »

http://www.smallworlds.com/?target=/2010/11/18/trading-post/

The Trading Post and More!

November 18, 2010 4:07 PM

Greetings citizens. I have several exciting things to tell you about today.  We've got a new trading method and a few gameplay tweaks.  I'm also taking this opportunity to tell you about the new Thanksgiving mission - it's not open yet, but it's coming soon!

Trading in SmallWorlds has always been a great way to get the items you want, and today we're releasing something that's going to make it easier and safer.  In Featured Spaces, you'll find a new space called The Trading Post. It's the place to go when you want to safely trade with another player.

We've also made some changes to the way Selection Panels work - when you click on an item or another player you'll see a few small differences.  And we've made some optimizations to Arena Gaming to make targeting easier when you're shooting. You can read more details about these changes below.

Safer Trading for Everyone

Here's a few answers to questions about the Trading Post and how it all works.

What can I trade at the Trading Post?

You can trade anything at the Trading Post - currency (tokens or Gold), items, art, wears, and rares. If its in your inventory or account, then you can trade it.

Can I buy a Trading Booth for my space?

No, the Trading Booth is only available for use within the Trading Post space.

How many people can use a Trading booth at once?

Two people can use the booth at any one time - you need two to complete a trade.

Will the Trading Post protect me while trading?

Because a trade cannot progress until both traders are in agreement, using the Trading booths provides protection for both parties. To stay safe when trading in-world items, always use the Trading Post for completing trades.

Using the Trading booths

When you arrive at the Trading Post space, you'll find several Trading Booths you can use to trade with. Here's the process mapped out for you, step by step. It's so simple!

1. Choose a booth and click the 'Trade Items' button to jump in. The person you're trading with needs to join you at the same booth.

2. You can trade currencies by entering a Gold or Token amount in the currency fields.  Choose any items you wish to trade by clicking the Add Item button and selecting items from your inventory.

Notes:
• Items are not removed from your inventory until the trade is completed.
• When the person you're trading with offers an item to you, you can see how many of that item you already have in your inventory. It will show you the quantity you have in brackets next to the item.
• If an item is not stacked and you wish to trade more than one, make sure you select a different one each time.  If you select the actual item twice, you'll get an error message saying you've already selected that item.

3. Once you're happy with the items you're offering for trade, click the Accept Trade button.  If the person you're trading with is also happy, they can do the same.  If either of you edits the trade at any time, you will need to reconfirm that you are happy with the trade before it can continue.

4. Once both parties have accepted the details of the trade, there is a final confirmation screen to double-check that you are both happy with the trade. Once you have both clicked OK, the trade goes ahead and the items and currency are automatically transferred.

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's that time of year again when those citizens from the United States are preparing to sit down and enjoy a meal with our families, and express their appreciation and gratitude.  

In SmallWorlds we'll be celebrating with a fun new mission.  Complete the Thanksgiving mission and you'll be rewarded with a gift... a Pumpkin Pie!

Your canoe has been swept away and wrecked on a strange shore.  You are far from home, and there are strange-looking people here, who seem afraid of you.  You can't communicate with them, and without a canoe you can't leave.
From this difficult beginning, can you work your differences out?  

You'll wear this amazing Native American headdress while you try to communicate with the settlers and try to reach a friendly understanding.

We're still doing a little work on the Thanksgiving mission, but it will be opening soon.  Keep an eye on the Featured Missons panel, so you can jump in as soon as it opens!

Changes to the Selection Window for Avatars and Items

Were you a little tired of the little white line that used to connect an item you had selected with the Selection Window that showed you information about that item?  Good news, that line is now gone!

Instead of the line, there's now an arrow icon that appears over a player's head or over an item when that player or item is selected (as shown in the picture on the left).

The Selection Window can now be minimized by clicking the minus sign at the top right of the window. Maximize it again by clicking the plus sign (as shown).

Any default buttons that apply to the item are still shown when the Selection Window is minimized.  For example, even with the window minimized, you'll still be able to interact with mission items.

The Selection Window is 'sticky' so when you drag it to the place on your screen you want, it stays where you put it.  It also remembers your Minimize/Maximise setting, and will remain as you left it, even when you start a new session.

Arena Gaming - Improved!

As well as some general tweaks to make gameplay run more smoothly in the Arena Games, we've made some improvements to the way targeting works. Of course you can still select a weapon then target a player just like you used to.

But now there's also another way - you can select a player first and keep them selected.  Then, every time you click on a weapon in your inventory bar, you'll automatically fire at that player.  This means you can fire at a player multiple times without having to re-target each time.

If the player you've selected is in range, the weapon will fire immediately (although there is a one second cool-down period between shots).  If the player is out of range, the words "Range" will show on the targeted player.

Enjoy!

The entire SmallWorlds team and I would like to wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving. We hope you enjoy the new mission, the Trading Post, and all the new features, as much as we've enjoyed bringing them to you!

- Kent Kronkite
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:41 PM by Happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
Re: 11/18/2010 The Trading Post and More!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:47 PM »

I have not experimented with the new feature.  
There are few discussions in the official forum, so for now I will refer people there to get some feedback especially on the trading function.

Thread #1 regarding the above story in the blog: http://forum.smallworlds.com/showthread.php?t=251550

Thread #2 regarding the update:  http://forum.smallworlds.com/showthread.php?t=251720

I quickly looked at "Thread #1" during lunch.  There were a few concerns there that stuck in my mind:
Players can not see if an item being traded was purchased in gold or tokens.  
The default color for clothing displayed on the icon in the trade window--which might be different than the color of the item itself.  

So again, I encourage everyone to give a look and add feedback.  In the past SW Crew has been receptive, so do chime in.

As for the arrow above the avatar, try this one...Click on an avatar....it selects them... then click the weapons in your action panel...one after the other.....magic magic magic hits that avatar!!!!!  This feature should also eliminate/reduce misses with individual spells crafted or bought in stores.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:48 PM by Happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Re: 11/18/2010 The Trading Post and More!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:52 PM »

Wow.  Thanks Happy!  Some interesting stuff there!

The trading is interesting.  I'm all for anything that protects the player against scams.  Sounds like it will be a benefit...although not perfect.  Neat implementation, though.  I took a peek at it and it seemed well laid out.  Sometime I'll have to trade something.  LOL ;)

The pie looks yummy!  Can't wait for the mission.

I sortof miss the white lines from the old selection method.  For me, they provide reference if I had to spin a room a couple/few times.  Like if I'm  watering plants, sometimes spinning the room can make things confusing to find where you left off.  The white line would always point the right direction.  I like the new system.  Maybe I just have to get used to it and use it more often.

The magic targeting sounds cool.  I've never been in the arena, so maybe sometime I'll give it a go and see what it's like.  LOL.  I keep saying that...  :hmm:
Pages: [1]   Go Up