VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11/1/2010 Archimedes the Snowy Owl  (Read 10695 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
11/1/2010 Archimedes the Snowy Owl
« on: November 01, 2010, 12:21 PM »

Archimedes the Snowy Owl
November 1, 2010 4:30 PM

This month's collectible is one I know you're going to love! I'd like to introduce you to a very wise and beautiful creature - Archimedes the Snowy Owl. This month's collectible will look great on the Broomflyer 3000 - I think it's a winning combination!  If you're a Harry Potter fan I can think of nothing better than popping on your Archimedes, grabbing your Broomflyer 3000 and swooping off into the night.

After gasping with admiration at Archimedes, I got to wondering just why it is that owls have a reputation for being such wise creatures. I've done a little research and here's what I discovered.

I found out that Owls are nocturnal birds and function extremely well at night.  It is their ability to see so well at night that has elevated them to be "manifestations of wisdom" in some cultures. In Western folklore, owls are commonly associated with wise elders and studious scholars.

The very earliest link I was able to find out about which linked owls and wisdom is their association with the Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom - she was often pictured holding an owl.

Because of their close kinship with the night, owls are also associated with magic and witchcraft. Merlin was known to have an owl, and in the Harry Potter series as you all know, the young wizards communicate by owl messengers; Hedwig being the most famous one in the series (she's even a Snowy Owl, just like Archimedes!).

Snowy Owls are the stars of the show in the fantastic new movie, "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole",. Perhaps you could write a mission based around the movie and invite your friends to do the mission while they are wearing their Archimedes collectible.

Lemmings Beware!

I also read that most of owls' hunting is done in the "sit and wait" style; prey may be captured on the ground, in the air, or fish may be snatched off the surface of water. Each owl needs to capture roughly 7 to 12 mice per day to meet its food requirements - and, amazingly, they can eat more than 1,600 lemmings per year!

My advice to you is that if you are a lemming, look like a lemming or hang around any lemmings - stay well clear of anyone wearing their Archimedes wearable!

Owls - an Investment for the Wise

honesty.png

Just like all our monthly collectibles, Archimedes the Snowy Owl is available to all SmallWorlds citizens, requiring no XP to wear.  Costing a mere 2000 Gold to buy, Archimedes would like to suggest to you that obtaining him in the month of his release is a very wise investment to make.  He's sure he's going to be worth lots more in the months following!

Remember, if you need to earn the Gold you need to purchase Archimedes, there are lots of ways to do so - our "Earn Gold" offer machines are located in all SmallWorlds stores. By doing offers, you could get your very own wise owl without spending a cent.

I'm sure you'll all love Archimedes - swoop in to Mysterio's today and let the parliaments of owls begin to gather!

~ Honesty Blaize

PS: My last interesting Owl fact is that a gathering of owls really is called a 'Parliament'.  I just wish more politicians were as wise ;-)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:38 PM by Happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Re: 11/1/2010 Archimedes the Snowy Owl
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57 AM »

Thanks Happy!  This is one fine looking wearable.  Unfortunately, Buster still has the speed advantage...and the 'no flapping sound' advantage.  LOL.  Love this guy too, though :)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:45 PM »

The attributes for each monthly vary. I believe the eagle has decent speed.

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:50 PM »

The attributes for each monthly vary. I believe the eagle has decent speed.

I think I heard that the eagle is the fastest released so far.  Not sure if/where I heard that from, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up