VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nationwide series participation by Cup drivers  (Read 5802 times)

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Nationwide series participation by Cup drivers
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:01 PM »

I thought I would start a new thread to see what you all think of this issue...

Do any of you have a problem with Cup drivers driving in the Nationwide series? Would you liken it to a Professional Baseball player also playing in the minor leagues? Or do you think its perfectly fine for them to drive in both series?

Maybe you can help me understand and give me a different prospective I haven't thought of. I kind of think that they may be taking another drivers spot that needs the experience to progress to the Sprint Cup level. It just seems strange to drop to the Nationwide level when you have already secured a Cup driver spot.

What are your thoughts?
You say I am a wench like it's a bad thing. WEDGEWENCH

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Sir IQuack4Wenches & sometimes I quack myself up!
Re: Nationwide series participation by Cup drivers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:29 PM »

A true race car driver will race anything with wheels on it and many of the current Cup Car guys still run short track pavement and dirt any chance they get when they have an open weekend away from the big show. Is it fair to the Nationwide guys trying to work their way up through the ranks?? Yes and no...it may take away their chance to make the field and it probably raises the costs to compete successfully, but it also offers a chance to "learn from the pros" to the guys and gals that do qualify.

In the past the cup guys were called "Busch Whackers", (not referring to Kurt and Kyle) and I don't think they have come up with a new term as "Nationwide Whacker" doesn't really have a good ring to it, but I don't think that banning them from "playing in the minor leagues" would be a good thing. Where would you draw the line?? Some of them race off road on the side like Robby Gordon and some will jump into a dirt modified, midget or sprint car any chance they get. It may make the race a bit harder for the guys and gals working their way up through the ranks, but it makes their wins against the "Big Dogs" that much sweeter.

Same things happen in drag racing and every now and then some little known hotrodder with a dream will win a big meet and rock the world. I think it's better for a real racer to race and lose to a high dollar team than to race and win because the whole field is second rate. Yes I do root for the underdogs and it always makes me smile when they pull off the upset.

Old age and treachery will occasionally beat youth and enthusiasm and on those days the world is a better place. ;)
I know that the voices aren't real,
But they have some good ideas anyway.

I say you are a wench because it's a good thing!:rum:

Life is good on the lunatic fringe.

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:19 AM »

A true race car driver will race anything with wheels on it and many of the current Cup Car guys still run short track pavement and dirt any chance they get when they have an open weekend away from the big show. Is it fair to the Nationwide guys trying to work their way up through the ranks?? Yes and no...it may take away their chance to make the field and it probably raises the costs to compete successfully, but it also offers a chance to "learn from the pros" to the guys and gals that do qualify.

In the past the cup guys were called "Busch Whackers", (not referring to Kurt and Kyle) and I don't think they have come up with a new term as "Nationwide Whacker" doesn't really have a good ring to it, but I don't think that banning them from "playing in the minor leagues" would be a good thing. Where would you draw the line?? Some of them race off road on the side like Robby Gordon and some will jump into a dirt modified, midget or sprint car any chance they get. It may make the race a bit harder for the guys and gals working their way up through the ranks, but it makes their wins against the "Big Dogs" that much sweeter.

Same things happen in drag racing and every now and then some little known hotrodder with a dream will win a big meet and rock the world. I think it's better for a real racer to race and lose to a high dollar team than to race and win because the whole field is second rate. Yes I do root for the underdogs and it always makes me smile when they pull off the upset.

Old age and treachery will occasionally beat youth and enthusiasm and on those days the world is a better place. ;)

Thank you so much for your insight papaduck. I will enjoy the race even more now with this fresh point of view. I never thought to look at it as an opportunity to root for the underdog and that will make it extra fun. You are right. If the little rookie has a better race than the big cup racers, it makes victory all that much more sweet! :wavet:
Anyone else want to chime in?
You say I am a wench like it's a bad thing. WEDGEWENCH

Decoy

• Head Decoy In Charge
    Yet Still Just a Decoy...

Where'd he go now?
  • HDIC
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Nothing to See Here...
    • CRS - Caffeinated & Requiring Sugar
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08 AM »