VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash 10 seems to be Ok now  (Read 11220 times)

flamanar

• I like to think that I will not let the game beat me.
    :hmmmm: Sainthood? Knighthood?
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
Flash 10 seems to be Ok now
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:02 PM »

Just wanted to let people know that Flash 10 seems to be working for alot more people without problems.  I've been using it for almost a month now with no ill effects.  Install at your own risk...just saying that it's working fine for me now.

If you do have problems with 10, you can go back to 9.  I know King has a guide here on how to do that, but I use one that I made from information received from Adobe (the maker of Flash).  So try Kings first.  If it doesn't work, do the following:
----------------------------
ok. I'm assuming MS Windows in this help file, so Mac users can follow the instructions on the Adobe site (using pretty much the same links I provide below). Also, do the following at yer own risk. I accept no responsibility for anything bad happening to yer pooter (my lawyer made me say that ;). Make sure you read all the documentation located at the following links as well as the 'readme' file in the main folder of the file you are going to be downloading.

First you need to uninstall flash 10. There is a special utility adobe provides for this at the following link. The link you want is "Windows:  uninstall_flash_player.exe (205 KB) (updated 2/24/08) ":

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE DOWNLOAD PAGE EXACTLY FOR THE CLEANER APP TO WORK PROPERLY. Make sure all other programs/windows are closed before running the 'clean' program. reboot yer computer after the 'cleaning'.

Next, go to the following link and download the archived flash 9 app (it's a 166 MB file because it contains every version of 9 for every OS that adobe released). What you're looking to download and save to your computer is "Flash Player 9 (166 MB) ". Grab a quick cup of coffee or your favorite beverage while you wait for it to download. It took 6 minutes for me to download via broadband (3Mbps):

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=2

Now you want to extract/unzip that file you just downloaded into a temporary folder on your computer. The next part is the tricky part. You are going to look in the extracted folder named '9r151' for the proper '.exe' file to run. This will depend on whether you're running IE or Firefox:

If using IE, the file you want to click on and run is: 'flashplayer9r151_winax.exe'

If using Firefox, the file you want to click on and run is: 'flashplayer9r151_win.exe'

Once you have run the appopriate file, Flash 9,0,151,0 should now be installed on your computer. To verify this, click on the following link, which will tell you which version of flash you have installed:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

At this point, you are finished.

If you get a popup or some other alert telling you there is a newer version of Flash available, then you have an auto-updater enabled on your system. There are ways to disable this, but I'm not going into that yet unless someone has that problem. Go ahead and try my tutorial. If you get an alert or popup, post back in this thread, and I'll continue on as to how to disable the auto-update feature.

Some important notes:  Download the 'clean' tool. Save the file to your Desktop or Downloads folder. DO NOT CHOOSE THE ‘Run’ or ‘Open’ OPTION.

Then: close all running applications including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Instant Messaging Software (i.e. Live Messenger, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, Skype, etc.). Look in the bottom-right of the system tray / taskbar to make sure the you have truly quit them and that they are not running silently in the background. This is because they tend to use the Flash Player too and the tool cannot remove files that are in use.

Then: run the Removal tool from where you saved it. The tool will remove all versions (past and present) from your system. At this point, there should be NO Flash on your computer. To check this: after you 'clean' and reboot...BUT BEFORE INSTALLING FLASH 9...go to the 'version check' link I supplied in my earlier post to make sure that Flash is gone from your computer. Please let me know what it says on that page (whether it shows that Flash is not installed or whether it shows version 10 is installed).

Continue with installing version 9 if it says that Flash is not installed. DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL FLASH IF YOU RECEIVE ANY POPUP OR MESSAGE ASKING IF YOU WANT TO UPDATE/UPGRADE! That will put 10 right back on your computer. Use the file supplied in the download to install Flash 9.

Flamanar:  Flame...Flash...so appropriate together...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:23 PM by flamanar »

Cloudymellowdisco

• Disco Here, Datco There
  • Teleport Magic
Re: Flash 10 seems to be Ok now
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:02 PM »

Hey Flame!  After I saw you and Fun yesterday and continued on with my test of Flash 10 (on my computer at home with Windows Vista) in the VFK Pool areas, I did notice short little periods of lag (which I don't have with Flash 9).  Have you experienced the same?

As I mentioned to you, there are so many other sites now where Flash 10 is needed (Disney, Facebook & MySpace just to name a few).  VFK really needed to get this issue resolved once and for all.  So, I'm crossing my fingers!

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • Moderator of This Board
  • more laundry....
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:05 PM »

Flame - you have me soooo confused with all the wordiing thingy stuff ya said  :??:

Disco, glad to catch you last night! I have lag anyway no matter   :lolg:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:59 PM by funfly »

ScarlettPixie

• Having your friends vaporize
    you in laser tag.... Priceless!
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Just another Scarlett Pixie....
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:16 PM »

I'm still running on 9.... LOL
ScarlettPixie

Push me too far, and I will sing like a canary.

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:18 PM »

Hey Flame!  After I saw you and Fun yesterday and continued on with my test of Flash 10 (on my computer at home with Windows Vista) in the VFK Pool areas, I did notice short little periods of lag (which I don't have with Flash 9).  Have you experienced the same?

As I mentioned to you, there are so many other sites now where Flash 10 is needed (Disney, Facebook & MySpace just to name a few).  VFK really needed to get this issue resolved once and for all.  So, I'm crossing my fingers!

Yeah...the problem is that many sites now require Flash 10 to even get onto them. 

I do have some occasional pauses, yes...but I'm not sure that it's Flash 10 since I've been using it since before the pool opened.  I'm assuming it's the pool and VFK changing things in the background...but no way for me to tell now without going back to #9.

Fun:  LOL.  Sorry about the wordiing thingy stuff :)  I'm glad to announce, however, that I'm publishing an Ebook for download that explains exactly how to go back to Flash 9 from Flash 10... :tongue3:  NOBS members will get it for free...everyone else will pay through the nose ;)

Flamanar...the above paragraph is commonly referred to as a 'joke'...or 'humor'...if you don't know what those words mean, you need to get a life... :uhuh:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:44 PM »

Hey Flame!  After I saw you and Fun yesterday and continued on with my test of Flash 10 (on my computer at home with Windows Vista) in the VFK Pool areas, I did notice short little periods of lag (which I don't have with Flash 9).  Have you experienced the same?

As I mentioned to you, there are so many other sites now where Flash 10 is needed (Disney, Facebook & MySpace just to name a few).  VFK really needed to get this issue resolved once and for all.  So, I'm crossing my fingers!

Yeah...the problem is that many sites now require Flash 10 to even get onto them.  

I do have some occasional pauses, yes...but I'm not sure that it's Flash 10 since I've been using it since before the pool opened.  I'm assuming it's the pool and VFK changing things in the background...but no way for me to tell now without going back to #9.

Fun:  LOL.  Sorry about the wordiing thingy stuff :)  I'm glad to announce, however, that I'm publishing an Ebook for download that explains exactly how to go back to Flash 9 from Flash 10... :tongue3:  NOBS members will get it for free...everyone else will pay through the nose ;)

Flamanar...the above paragraph is commonly referred to as a 'joke'...or 'humor'...if you don't know what those words mean, you need to get a life... :uhuh:

OMG Flame! As soon as I read your 'humor' paragraph starting with 'Fun:...." and the rest  :rofl1: :rofl1: :roflmao: :rofl1:
All I can say is....I am SO GLAD I swallowed that coffee in time!  :rofl1: :roflmao: :rofl1: :roflmao:
Oops, wait, - getting a cloth -  :rofl1: :roflmao:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:46 PM by funfly »

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 06:05 PM »

Hey Flame!  After I saw you and Fun yesterday and continued on with my test of Flash 10 (on my computer at home with Windows Vista) in the VFK Pool areas, I did notice short little periods of lag (which I don't have with Flash 9).  Have you experienced the same?

As I mentioned to you, there are so many other sites now where Flash 10 is needed (Disney, Facebook & MySpace just to name a few).  VFK really needed to get this issue resolved once and for all.  So, I'm crossing my fingers!

I do have some occasional pauses, yes...but I'm not sure that it's Flash 10 since I've been using it since before the pool opened.  I'm assuming it's the pool and VFK changing things in the background...but no way for me to tell now without going back to #9.

Fun:  LOL.  Sorry about the wordiing thingy stuff :)  I'm glad to announce, however, that I'm publishing an Ebook for download that explains exactly how to go back to Flash 9 from Flash 10... :tongue3:  NOBS members will get it for free...everyone else will pay through the nose ;)

OMG Flame! As soon as I read your 'humor' paragraph starting with 'Fun:...." and the rest  :rofl1: :rofl1: :roflmao: :rofl1:
All I can say is....I am SO GLAD I swallowed that coffee in time!  :rofl1: :roflmao: :rofl1: :roflmao:
Oops, wait, - getting a cloth -  :rofl1: :roflmao:
Ahhhh...so glad there are people that appreciate what good humor is :)  Anytime you wanna pass coffee through your nose, just let Flame know ;)

Flamanar...Coffee makes the world go around.....FASTER....

ScarlettPixie

• Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:16 PM »

Flame, you can borrow my editor!!! She will be more than gladly to blurb it!
ScarlettPixie

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:52 AM »

I don't need no steenkin' blurber!  ;)

Flamanar...hey, they can't be funny all the time...

FilamentTheBright

• Is it Bright in here
    or is it just me?

A Well Gnome Flasher
  • Trading Gnome
  • Pirate Cannon Room
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08 AM »

When did they start being funny?  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Sorry, it was too easy.

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 11:27 AM »

Sorry, it was too easy.

Oh my Gosh!!!  :rofl1: :roflmao: :rofl1: :roflmao:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:21 PM »

Sorry, it was too easy.

LOL.  I refer all questions concerning humor (or lack of) to my lawyer...who is a complete Bozo and should be able to answer it based on his own personal experience.  :roflmao:

Flamanar...needs a clown emote...  :P ;)

FilamentTheBright

• Is it Bright in here
    or is it just me?

A Well Gnome Flasher
  • Trading Gnome
  • Pirate Cannon Room
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:27 PM »

:jester2:

This is as good as it gets for clown emotes.

Unless you want to try this one?

:jester:

Are you sure you want Bozo?  I know someone who's lawyer is Homey the Clown.  He's cheap.

CoralHibiscus

• Nobody pay attention
    to my rear!!!
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 12:32 PM »

I've been using Flash 10 the whole time. I switched from using Explorer to Firefox after Explorer crashed on me a few times, and it never really had a problem after the switch.
  You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

ScarlettPixie

• Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 02:31 PM »

I think I am going to make an appointment with the shrink now..... :phone:
ScarlettPixie

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 02:44 PM »

:jester2:

This is as good as it gets for clown emotes.

Unless you want to try this one?

:jester:

Are you sure you want Bozo?  I know someone who's lawyer is Homey the Clown.  He's cheap.

Does he accept Visa?  If so, I'm sold...  :victory:

On a different note, I recommend anyone having problems with VFK try Firefox.  It's got a small footprint, and Flame lurves it.  Small learning curve, but hey...that's life! :2thunbs:

Flamanar: :jester: <<----that kinda works :)

ScarlettPixie

• Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 02:59 PM »

Explain the small footprint... consfused... :shy:
ScarlettPixie

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 04:07 PM »

I understand your diffusion.  Small footprint typically means that it is a relatively small program (size wise...as in megabytes) and doesn't hog as much system resources as a program with a 'large footprint'.  :)

I was gonna publish an Ebook explaining the difference between large and small footprints...still doing surveys to see if there is a large demand for that type of thing :)

Flamanar...size '12 mens' is a large footprint, btw... :lolp:

ScarlettPixie

• Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 05:17 PM »

Okay! Thanks Professor Flame! :thumb:
ScarlettPixie

Gypsyoffire

• Pirate Throne
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 10:50 AM »

I want free copies of both GUIDES...(signed PLEASE)
My Dad was a Lawyer and a Size 13!
I use Googles new CHROME program....it is better than firefox I find...less issues and new for running games that run in a browser..it has cut down on the Memory useage and I do not clean my cache hardly ever anymore.
It is a free download.
I also use AIR by Adobe.... I run both on my old (bought during VMK Beta) desktop...the kids NEVER DC even in a host event..but it does take a half hour to ride :)
Even on my new "killer gamer" computer...Explorer and VFK have some freeze/lag moments that NEVER occur any other place? We see chat way late as lag on our old desktop which most kids are using and many others and VFK must fix these issues to make the game playable for all :) We HOPE SOON!

OFF TOPIC:
Momma says "humor is like a box of chocolates"... Oops wrong quote

Speaking of BACK TO SCHOOL TIME: OMG!! we were weren't we....
First day of Kindergarden: "Mom...I met a cute boy today he can do a cool thing! Drink Milk and make it come out his nose!!"...."BUT...DON'T do it in Cafeteria...you'll get detention!! "
The things you learn 1st day of school....:)

I understand your diffusion.  Small footprint typically means that it is a relatively small program (size wise...as in megabytes) and doesn't hog as much system resources as a program with a 'large footprint'.  :)

I was gonna publish an Ebook explaining the difference between large and small footprints...still doing surveys to see if there is a large demand for that type of thing :)

Flamanar...size '12 mens' is a large footprint, btw... :lolp:
[/quote
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:52 AM by Gypsyoffire »

Purrypaws

• There are two of us??
    The road is not safe!!!
  • Cursed Storm Magic
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 01:12 PM »

:sos: well..Holy cats!
I've been using flash 10 for a while and it's been ok.
This week I feel like my computers have been all huddled under the same black cloud... :bm: If I am able to log in..either freeze or get DC fairly soon..
Then my precious desktop failed! I LOVE that machine!!
Then Rudy's laptop completely crashed..so now we are gathered around my laptop,It seemed to pay the bills just fine, but for forums and games..not so much..
Then IT friend suggested I upgrade to IE8..
I didn't even know there was such a thing! Usually my computer updates whether I like it or not!
So off I went looking for IE8..and then off to find the program that will talk to my VISTA..

So now I have flash10 AND IE8 and am off to see how it likes VFK, I have been missing everyone so much!

I may have to sell my surf board and buy DH a new laptop..I DON'T share well.

Good to be able to log on and enjoy the chatter here!

(edited because I can't spell)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:14 PM by Purrypaws »

Purrypaws >>>who now has her red flips once again!

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 02:40 PM »

Gypsy, it is interesting that you mention Google Chrome. King uses that at work and swears by it. He actually suggested last night that we start using that on our home computers. Looks like I may give that a try. I am using Flash 10 and IE8 right now, but still having some little freezes and dc issues here and there.
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

ScarlettPixie

• Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 03:21 PM »

Aww Paws! Yes, new computer for Rudy!!!! Then you can also make him play the game, lol.

Hugs.
ScarlettPixie

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 04:06 PM »

Gypsy:  I could be wrong, but I thought that I read somewhere that Chrome uses the same internal engine as Firefox.  Wish I could remember where I heard that...maybe it will come to me...soon... :waveb:

For me, there's no contest between Internet Explorer and Firefox.  Firefox wins without breaking a sweat.  :weight: ;) 

If Chrome is better than Firefox, I'll have to give it a look.  A little worried about Google though...since Micro$oft and Yahoo have joined forces....yikes... :sos:

Paws:  new computer time for your hubs!  :thumb:

Flamanar...maybe I need some shiny Chrome... :hmmmm:

Gypsyoffire

• Pirate Throne
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 05:26 PM »

Flame: Yes, I too believe it is associated with Firefox...CHROME...don't know how...?
And Firefox wins over IE...and CHROME over AIR...:)
Woot to King wins over Wendy....(His work must be extra smart) (I read about CHROME on a forum)
I can still OPEN any and all of these browsers and even all at the same time and compare...
and right now for us: CHROME WINS!!
IE crashes first and has issues with Fairy Magic
Firefox..works OK...but does DC from time to time
CHROME: stays up so far so good...KNOCKS WOOD!
Let's keep comparing notes...that seems to help all...
(NOTE TO SELF: Not Communication!! arg ...:)

PS:Note to NOT sell surf board...BUY YOURSELF a reconditioned laptop and give your old computer to DH ....with a few conditions....(TBD)

Gypsy:  I could be wrong, but I thought that I read somewhere that Chrome uses the same internal engine as Firefox.  Wish I could remember where I heard that...maybe it will come to me...soon... :waveb:

For me, there's no contest between Internet Explorer and Firefox.  Firefox wins without breaking a sweat.  :weight: ;) 

If Chrome is better than Firefox, I'll have to give it a look.  A little worried about Google though...since Micro$oft and Yahoo have joined forces....yikes... :sos:

Paws:  new computer time for your hubs!  :thumb:

Flamanar...maybe I need some shiny Chrome... :hmmmm:

flamanar

• YEAH, IT'S REALLY ME.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 02:10 PM »

Ok.  Since using Flash 10 and Chrome some, here are my thoughts:

Flash 10
Haven't had any real problems with it.  There has been some frequent pauses (sometimes up to a few seconds) while playing VFK and some slow loading, but I'm not sure if that is exclusive to Flash 10.  .It is using Flash 9 on the desktop and not having those problems...but she's also using Windows XP...so...hard to do a real comparison.  I'm thinking about taking Flash 10 back off and putting 9 back on to see if it exhibits the same pauses, but again...there are many sites now that require Flash 10. 

Chrome
So far my relationship with Chrome has been love/hate.  LOL.  It seems faster than IE and Firefox.  It's a better window layout, no doubt.  Hardly any clutter on the main window, so VFK shows properly without having to scroll the screen a little to fit the VFK window into the entire browser (yeah, using zoom out would work, but I want VFK at the default size). 

I hate how the bookmarks work.  You have to scroll through them all to reach the latest bookmarks. 

Also, when bookmarking a page, it puts the bookmark automatically in what would be IE/Firefoxs 'links' folder unless you choose another to put it in. 

Also, to go through your list of bookmarks, there is no scroll bar to drag up or down to reach them quickly...you have to hold an up or down arrow and wait for it to scroll through...time consuming if you have over 1k bookmarks ;)

I love the tabs and how they work.  However, I have noticed some quirkiness with switching between 2 tabs, and one becomes separated from that Chrome window and becomes its own window.  Not cool.

Unlike IE and Firefox, it will be difficult to do host hunts with Chrome since everytime you switch tabs, the browser steals the cursor from the VFK text entry box. 

For those techies among us, Chrome is a hindrance.  It hides alot of 'deep' settings (access to plugins/extensions for example). 

I do like the 'incognito window'.

Remembering passwords:  where IE/Firefox will give you a dropdown box to quickly pick which user/pass you want to use (in VFK login for example), Chrome opts for an 'autofill' type of approach.  Example:  "Flamanar" and "Flamanette".  If I wanted to choose 'Flamanette' in IE/Firefox as the login character for VFK, I push the 'F' key and a drop down box appears with all the usernames beginning with 'F'.  In Chrome,  you type 'F' and get....Flamanar.  You have to type at least "Flamane" to get 'Flamanette' to come up.  Still with me so far?  LOL.

Many times, Chrome will hide my taskbar so I can't see it (I have it set to autohide).  To see the taskbar, I have to minimize Chrome.

No status bar at the bottom...sometimes it's nice to see if there's anything going on when yer at the loading screen in VFK.  IE/Firefox will show if things are happening...Chrome does not.

A few other minor bugs and glitches here and there.

.It had a problem when she installed it at her work:  she was stuck in single player mode in VFK only when using Chrome.  IE/Firefox worked fine.  She uninstalled it...then had some issues with not being able to get on the 'net anymore.  I had her upgrade to IE8 and it fixed the problem...thank God.

So, I will use Chrome for some things and Firefox for others...and IE only when I have to ;)  Chrome has a LOT of potential...but I'm not sure it's fully ready for 'prime time' yet.  It could be fabulous, though in time.

All personal opinion, of course. :)

Flamanar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:46 PM by flamanar »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up