VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Life  (Read 21126 times)

DreamTulip

• A Yankee Fan in Red Sox Nation
    Pass me something to drink I feel faint...
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Teleport Magic
Second Life
« on: May 10, 2009, 07:18 PM »

Does anyone play Second Life?  It is NOT for children as some of the virtual characters you may run across are um lacking clothing but not other things..., I actually think you need to be 18+ to sign up.  I signed up right after VMK closed ( :'() but just really signed in this week to check it out.  There are a few places I found that are Disney (and PG, woot!) themed, including where you can walk down Main St, go on some rides (mansion, pirates, jungle, dumbo, and more), and my favorite part- get free Mickey/Minnie ears to wear.  You can also get Mickey bars, dole whips, turkey legs (yuck!), and more food lol.  Tonight I saw Eve, Wall-E, and Goofy there and a couple days ago I saw Ariel.  It was fun watching them act in character.  I think it is similiar to the Sims and Metaplace in many ways.  If you play and/or want to check it out I would be happy to add you as a friend. :)
~Dream
Dream Larnia on SL
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:18 AM by DreamTulip »
  You say I'm a wench, like it's a bad thing!
            FaintingForADrinkWench

:pmickey:

wdwdreamin

• This new job of mine has severely cut into my playtime.
  • Teleport Magic
Re: Second Life
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:58 PM »

I might just have to check that one out!  I'll let you know if/when I get signed up.
Memories Vow Renewal Ceremony
Sept 24, 2011--Sunset Point @ the Polynesian Resort
Woot!!!  I was a Disney Bride!!!

BooLani

• A Toddle Tail for a reasonable Fee...
  • Fireworks Magic
  • fighting one bit of paperwork at a time
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:46 AM »

Fee and I play SL off and on, I did have a store at Mouseworld (probably the WDW like park in SL that you went to) but ehh got a bit bored, but I do have a stackload of mouse ears etc that I made, give my character Boolani Lane a shout if you want an influx of hats for free lol ;)

Personally Ive been searching the fairy sims for somewhere fun to explore, we used to have a chunkload of VMK'ers in SL but quite a few have drifted off SL altogether, and be warned SL is definitely not for kiddies although there is a teen grid, just steer clear of some of the uhh... mature areas until you're a bit more familiar with SL although they often have some of the nicest clothing designers located there.

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 04:58 AM »

I am moving this thread to the SL board.  Both because we have a board for SL, and if desired, you will find lots of helpful info in those older threads.

We did as Boo said, have quite a few noBS and VMK players on there a couple years ago. 
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

DreamTulip

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:52 AM »

I am moving this thread to the SL board.  Both because we have a board for SL, and if desired, you will find lots of helpful info in those older threads.

We did as Boo said, have quite a few noBS and VMK players on there a couple years ago. 

I'm sorry you had to move my post, I *completely* missed seeing the entire thread dedicated to SL.  Thanks for the redirection. :)
~Dream
            FaintingForADrinkWench

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:09 AM »

I'm sorry you had to move my post, I *completely* missed seeing the entire thread dedicated to SL.  Thanks for the redirection. :)
~Dream

No need for apologies, just logging why it was moved, and the hope that this section's tips and suggestions can help  ;)

thealienstitch

• Lag may not be a new item,
    but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
  • Blood Type: Espresso
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:43 PM »

Yup yup yup, Fee plays SL. I have played now since the summer of 2006, and I am a Second Life Mentor since 2007. It is like being a CL in VMK, and I help new players adjust to Second Life. As I was a CL on VMK, I really wanted to do this on SL as well. Since becoming a Mentor I have have enjoyed the game much much more, and highly reccommend it to everyone. It is a huge game, and has endless fun possibilities for all. Hope to see a lot of you there............

My Character is named Teather Zetkin, and you can send me a friend request saying you are from NoBS. Here are some pics of my character in some of her different looks.

Fee

As Buffy the Vampire Slayer, one of my favorite shapes.

As a mermaid.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:20 AM by thealienstitch »
The good old days, the honest man, The restless heart, the Promised Land. A subtle kiss that no one sees, A broken wrist and a big trapeze. Oh well I don't mind, if you don't mind. 'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine. Before you go, can you read my mind?- "Read My Mind" by The Killers

DreamTulip

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies/info.  Yes Boo, I was talking about MouseWorld. :) I sent requests (I think!) to Fee and Boo.  Does anyone else still play?     
~Dream
            FaintingForADrinkWench

wdwdreamin

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:40 AM »

I signed up last night but had technical difficulties with the graphics.  Hubby said he fixed it for me so I'm planning to try again tonight and do the tutorial.  Then hopefully I can figure out how to find the Disney stuff! 

BTW, my name there is Dreamin Azalee.  Wdwdreamin was a bit too much for a first name/last name combo.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:56 AM by wdwdreamin »

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:57 PM »

I signed up last night but had technical difficulties with the graphics.

Same here.  idk if it's my computer or what?  But, I had signed up a LONG time ago.  Probably around the time VMK was no longer actually, as I was searching for a new game.  Graphics wouldn't load for me, and I would get streaks in the screen.   :??:   Since then, I just let it go and never went back.  I honestly at the top of my head can't even remember what the heck my title was on there.  I'll have to go look. 
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:04 PM »

Dream and Astro, reading your comments about your problems, I was reminded of something similar, from the "original" NoBS group that went into SL.

The sticky thread here, labeled as SL tips http://www.vmknobs.com/index.php?topic=350.0 might(?) help.  Check in particular replies #10 and #11.  HIH

wdwdreamin

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:06 PM »

Our system met all the requirements and our graphics card was on their list, so Hubby checked out the SL forums last night
and found this advice that was posted for someone else.

"Anyway, if you're getting some real graphics issues, try going into >
PREFERENCES (CTRL-P) > GRAPHICS > HARDWARE OPTIONS (in lower right)
and unchecking the ENABLE VBO."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:08 PM by wdwdreamin »

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 05:45 PM »

Interesting stuff.  Thanks for the posts.  I will have to go back and check everything out.  I thought my requirements were ok too.
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

wdwdreamin

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 06:58 PM »

Okay, I made it in.  Wow am I LOST!!!  I managed to change a couple things on my appearance but it wouldn't let me do anything with my newbie hair.  It's brown and I want to be a redhead--stayed brown no matter what I did.  I found a sign with some help subjects on it and checked the one about Looking Good, hoping I'd get some help there, and didn't understand anything the writers were talking about.  And why do I walk like a complete spaz?  Not that all this matters a whole lot, since I really just wanted to get in and check out the Disney stuff, but I'd like to look not quite so noobish and also have a better idea how this place works.  Even the Help Island confuses me!!  Anybody care to help me out??

thealienstitch

but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 03:27 AM »

Okay, I made it in.  Wow am I LOST!!!  I managed to change a couple things on my appearance but it wouldn't let me do anything with my newbie hair.  It's brown and I want to be a redhead--stayed brown no matter what I did.  I found a sign with some help subjects on it and checked the one about Looking Good, hoping I'd get some help there, and didn't understand anything the writers were talking about.  And why do I walk like a complete spaz?  Not that all this matters a whole lot, since I really just wanted to get in and check out the Disney stuff, but I'd like to look not quite so noobish and also have a better idea how this place works.  Even the Help Island confuses me!!  Anybody care to help me out??

Newbie hair can be really hard to get rid of, but by using a bald cap you can put all your new hairs on top of that. Makes it really easy to change hair. I will drop one on you this morning, you will see it as an offer of inventory from me (Teather Zetkin). Accept it, then find it in your inventory, right click it and select wear. You will be bald. Now make sure you have another hair to pop on to yourself before you pop on the bald cap. LOL  I was soooooooooooooooo lost in Second Life for the first week, however I sat there and learned how to manipulate my apperance and played with my inventory till I realized what I was doing. Once you have those 2 things down, there is a huge world out there to explore......................Good Luck

Fee
The good old days, the honest man, The restless heart, the Promised Land. A subtle kiss that no one sees, A broken wrist and a big trapeze. Oh well I don't mind, if you don't mind. 'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine. Before you go, can you read my mind?- "Read My Mind" by The Killers

wdwdreamin

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 07:20 AM »

Actually, I read about the bald cap thing and clicked on something that was supposed to put one in my inventory.  (Forgot to look)  But I have no idea how I go about getting hair.  The stuff I was reading said something about vouchers and such and I didn't understand it all.  Obviously I have to go elsewhere to do anything but I was feeling a bit too overwhelmed--didn't realize there'd be such a learning curve.  I read something too about getting rid of the "newbie shuffle" I think they called it, which would be great cause I look like a complete dork when I walk.  I'll look around the island some more later on--what I really need are step by step instructions for everything, but I haven't found anything like that yet!!

thealienstitch

but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 10:01 AM »

Actually, I read about the bald cap thing and clicked on something that was supposed to put one in my inventory.  (Forgot to look)  But I have no idea how I go about getting hair.  The stuff I was reading said something about vouchers and such and I didn't understand it all.  Obviously I have to go elsewhere to do anything but I was feeling a bit too overwhelmed--didn't realize there'd be such a learning curve.  I read something too about getting rid of the "newbie shuffle" I think they called it, which would be great cause I look like a complete dork when I walk.  I'll look around the island some more later on--what I really need are step by step instructions for everything, but I haven't found anything like that yet!!

I sent you some red hair this morning along with a bald cap. I do hope you like the hair. :)  I also sent you some shapes, and skins for your body. Along with a Landmark that will allow you to teleport to a store filled with free items including hair. :) Let me know how it goes.......................Fee

wdwdreamin

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36 AM »

Wow!  Thanks!  That should help!  And free items would be great--I wasn't sure how I would go about buying stuff.  I don't want to spend real money on this right now.  I'll get on later and take a look.  Maybe it'll start making more sense to me if I look at it again fresh.  What do you know about changing the way you walk--I assume there's a way to do that too--or is that part of the skins?

DreamTulip

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 11:17 AM »

I'm glad you made it in.  It is really overwhelming at first.  I still don't know how to do much either, but there are a handful of places to get free stuff, use the search box and type in "free hair" or whatever you're looking for.  I can show you some if we are on at same time, or try to get the names for you.  Hair is hard to come by though, but while I was exploring around today a girl came in and asked if I needed help.  I probably scared her bc I was bald at the time trying to find pretty hair to wear.  I told her yes and that even though I signed up last year, I had really just stared a few days ago.  She said, she was wondering about that and gave me lots of nice stuff for free.  It is hard being a noob especially when your birthday was a year ago lol. 

Is there a way to make copies of the inventory stuff to give away to others?  I do wish we could preview items in inventory before putting them on.  I end up trying things on, not liking them, and not able to find where my last thing was put lol.  Hmm, is it possible to make a folder of favorite things?

~Dream
            FaintingForADrinkWench

wdwdreamin

• Teleport Magic
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 07:52 PM »

Okay--where is everybody?  It's getting rather lonely wandering around all by myself.....

thealienstitch

but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 03:21 AM »

I work during the day, so am on at night everyday at around 3pm till 6pm pst. Some friends of mine opened a really amazing club called Naughty's, and I spend a lot of time their dancing and socializing. And then of course I do a lot of shopping! @_@ LOL. Look forward to seeing you sometime soon......................Fee
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up