VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/22/2009 Sneek Preview of 1.2 Release  (Read 6031 times)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
1/22/2009 Sneek Preview of 1.2 Release
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:48 PM »

SmallWorlds Blog
Sneak Preview! - 1.2 Release
January 22nd, 2009 - Hilary Jackson

Come and take a look at some of the exciting features we’ve been cooking up.

Here’s a sneak peek at whats in store for the SmallWorlds community; which, as you may have noticed, is growing at a fantastic rate!  In synchronistic parallel to this, the number of ideas clanging around in the brains of the team here at SWHQ is making a hellishly noisy racket.  As player numbers swell, the flurry of markers on whiteboards is nothing short of a blur.  Our artists find themselves drawing new items in the dust on shelves at home; our programmers are writing groundbreaking code in the steam of the bathroom windows after their daily shower (yep, they’re all nice clean lads).

As always, our common goal lies in making your SmallWorlds playing experience better all the time.  So, lets take a look at some of what’s coming up in our new release (currently scheduled to roll out beginning of February).

The SmallWorlds Chronicle: Find out What’s Hot & Where to Go!
When you log in to SmallWorlds, you’ll now be taken direct to a new default landing page: “The SmallWorlds Chronicle” - providing you with a dynamic and ever-changing news service, reporting on cool spaces to visit, new missions, games, events and more!  Your default avatar is displayed top right; from here you can either change your avatar or directly enter your default space. Alternatively, you may choose to visit an exciting sounding location or event direct from the Chronicle link.

The SmallWorlds Chronicle provides us with the perfect vehicle to keep you updated with continually updated in-world information, to enhance your SmallWorlds explorations.

Facebook & Bebo Application Integration

Let SmallWorlds bring your Social Network page alive! Now you can embed the full SmallWorlds application directly into your Facebook or Bebo page; and  even  invite more friends into SmallWorlds direct from within Facebook or Bebo.

If you have a Bebo or Facebook profile, a link to your social profile can now be included in your SW avatar information panel.  So, when someone clicks on your avatar in-world (if you have selected this option) they will be given a link to your Facebook or Bebo profile page (both if you have them!). We will be adding integration with other social networks very soon.

Three New Payment Options - Gold & VIP Memberships
1 - Buy VIP with SmallWorlds Gold

Now, pay for your VIP membership with SmallWorlds  Gold, via our standard purchasing process.  Gold you earn through inviting friends, doing Offerpal tasks, or of course purchased Gold, can all be used to pay for your VIP membership.

2 - Zong - Pay with your Mobile Phone!

If you live in the USA, the UK or in Ireland, you can now buy SmallWorlds Gold as well as pay for VIP memberships with your mobile phone!

3 - Auto-Bill Monthly VIP subscriptions

Up until now, we have been only able to offer pre-paid memberships, but we wanted to give you more convenience and flexibility.  Now, instead of being limited to just  buying a month at a time, our new facility means you can choose to have your Paypal Account or Credit Card debited monthly on an auto-bill basis (both options require a Paypal Account).  Just set and forget!

The SmallWorlds Minimap
There’s a party going on in a small corner of an Island you’re currently  wandering around on that you’d never know about…  till now that is!  Our Minimap (not to be confused with the World Map) will provide you with a small size “plan view” of your current location. You’ll be able to see your location, that of other avatars currently in the space, walls, lakes… anything that’s part of the space (apart from furniture & objects).  Explore spaces with ease - just click in the map and your avatar will walk to that location!

New Multiplayer Game - Fast Draw
Latest multiplayer game we’ve got for you is a pictionary-like drawing game we call Fast Draw.  You’ll get somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds (still being finalised) to draw a word which is randomly generated by SmallWorlds (finger crossed you don’t get something like tachycardia).

You can play Fast Draw with up to 7 other players, and all players will receive Artist XP for playing.  The game has multiple turns and the first person to 10 points wins; a successful drawer gets 1 point, and a successful guesser gets 2 points.

Quiz Widget
New Widget Alert!  purchasing our Quiz Widget gives you the power to create fantastic single player quiz games! You set up a quiz in the configuration panel in the same way you set up a Flickr widget.  As the quiz owner, you are able to specify both the content and number of questions, question scores and time allowed for answering each one. The quiz widget is also linked up to Flickr, so that users are able to attach images to a question.

For example, a quiz author might ask - “Where in the world can you find this landmark?” and display a photo with four answer options.  You’ll also be able to link the quiz up to our interactibles framework - ie: a mission player being required to earn a certain number of points in a quiz before  proceeding to the next part of a mission.

Official 1.2 Release Announcement - coming soon!

The team has had a great time putting together all these features for you.  And - remember we said this was just a ‘taster’… there’s more to tell you about in the official 1.2 Release,  coming soon!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:01 PM by souper_happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Re: 1/22/2009 Sneek Preview of 1.2 Release
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:19 AM »

Oh the upgrades sound awesome. Can not wait to play pictionary at our next wenches club get together. :)

Woot :wavet:
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:29 PM »

When these items come out we should design another tournament like Decoy's checkers in vmk.   :idea:
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

FurballWench

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36 AM »

When these items come out we should design another tournament like Decoy's checkers in vmk.   :idea:

Yeah!  That sounds like a great idea Kat!   :2thunbs:

Thanks for the updates Happy!  And what is with the creepy eye!??!
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:40 PM »

Just a reminder the release is scheduled for today-Monday 2/9/2009.  It is my understanding they will go down around noon EST.

Here is a little something M.O. posted yesterday:
"...Today we are doing our final testing before the 1.2 release tomorrow. We have heaps of new features and content being released over the next 2 months."

:2thunbs: For heaps of new stuff over the next 2 months!  :2thunbs:

http://forum.smallworlds.com/showthread.php?t=4565&page=2

BitBehindWench

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:02 AM »

Just a reminder the release is scheduled for today-Monday 2/9/2009.  It is my understanding they will go down around noon EST.

Here is a little something M.O. posted yesterday:
"...Today we are doing our final testing before the 1.2 release tomorrow. We have heaps of new features and content being released over the next 2 months."

:2thunbs: For heaps of new stuff over the next 2 months!  :2thunbs:

http://forum.smallworlds.com/showthread.php?t=4565&page=2

Woot!  Looks like I got my monitor back just in time!  Can't wait to play fast draw.   :clapping:
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

FurballWench

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:57 AM »

Smallworlds has their own Twitter feed.  It is pretty cool to be able to follow the behind the scenes progress of the build.

http://twitter.com/SmallWorldsTwt

BitBehindWench

Pages: [1]   Go Up