VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Building/Making  (Read 17331 times)

Ash410

Question about Building/Making
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:33 PM »

Hello. :) I had a few questions and as the person who reffered me to SL is gone for the weekend I thought I'd ask you guys my questions. I am "trying" to learn how to make hair. I got a "package" of 2 hairs and a titorial on how to. In it it said to get a pose stand. Does anyone know if it is worth it to get that? It also said to start with the "bald" head i have in my inventory then "edit" it on the stand. I put on the bald head but it wont let me edit, but alas i have no pose stand.

Ok my next attempt if I can't figure out this one is to try to make clothes. I tried a little, and again, it is kind of limited as to how neat i can make it look. There seems to not be very many options on what you can do, am I missing something? I clicked "edit" my person, then clicked shirt, then create new shirt and went from there with colors/patterns I already had. Even though that is limited, I wanted to make my shirt look different still but can only edit things certain ways it seems. Again, am I missing something? :) I will start with those 2 questions for now, thanks if anyone can help me :)

PirateDaisy

Re: Question about Building/Making
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:56 PM »

I've been on SL for a couple of weeks now and still have yet to make my hair or my clothes. The ones that I tried to make came out very poorly.  ::) Though Jewells, Fan and Jegrezo have already started to do their own creations. I still think as one newbie to another, you're better off getting all the freebies first; which there are tons out there! Oh lordy, there are tons. Once you get an understanding on how the clothes and hair work, you can begin making your own.

What they meant with the bald base was, you need to get your head bald before putting on that hair. So after you put on your bald base you don't need to edit it, just go to one of the hairs you got and right click and wear. If you started with that God awful avatar with a pom pom hair do, you need to click on each pom pom and click detach. It took me forever to get those things off!

I don't mind putting my title on here: Lizbeth Saenz Just click on your friends list, click add and add me. I will send you an invite to our wanders group and you will slowly learn who all is in there and we will most definitely help you along the way!  :thumbs:

tigressjewel

• Snowman Magic
  • Tiggers don't like honey! (or BS)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:03 PM »

Unfortuneately there isn't a simple answer to either of those questions.  I've been scouring the Second Life website, forums and member blogs.  There is a lot of "how to" information out there, especially on the forums. There is a link to this page: http://secondlife.com/developers/resources/matrix.php?ref=login from the login window, its a great place to start.  There are a ton of freebie places around too..
Sarah's Freebie Paradise
Gnubie Store
Freebie heaven
Yadni's junkyard
Free Dove
NCI

NCI also offers classes on how to do basic things.  Do a search under events and type in NCI you'll get a whole list.  Hope that helps!
´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ♥ ~Jewel~ ♥ aka ShakeYerBootyWench
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

~Jewel Tigerpaw~

Ash410

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:03 PM »

Aww thanks Pirate :) My name in there is Ash Kurka (LOL makes me laugh every time)  :lol:

Ash410

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:39 PM »

wow Jewel..... I just went to the NCI place first, and found the freebie area finally..... BOY is there a lot there!!! I'm excited about the new jewlery i got (too bad I can't wear the tiara and my hair I got together....) and the new textures (hehe and my fairy nymph costume woot) :) thanks for your help!!!

Also thanks for the add pirate ;)

bezoar

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 08:07 PM »

I agree with Tigress.

What helps is to first learn what's POSSIBLE, using freebie items, and just seeing what other people have on. Then, when you've learned what's possible, choose something to try to learn, and go to it. There are LOTS of free classes at NCI (New Citizens Inc.) that you can find by Search button --> Events --> Education tab. Every day, lots of topics, from how to edit appearance, to how to make buildings and furniture, to basic clothing texturing. Prim clothing is the next step beyond texture clothing...

There's too much to even think about "figuring it out" in days or even weeks. Two months, and I finally got around to learning how to save and change outfits properly. (The 2 months were spent really learning the ins and outs of prim rezzing / rotating / and positioning, using the scripting language. Just barely scratching the surface of scripting.)

Take you time learning, but in the meantime, have fun with the thousands of freebie items out there.

Hope to meet you in-world :)

tigressjewel

• Snowman Magic
  • Tiggers don't like honey! (or BS)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 07:05 AM »

wow Jewel..... I just went to the NCI place first, and found the freebie area finally..... BOY is there a lot there!!! I'm excited about the new jewlery i got (too bad I can't wear the tiara and my hair I got together....) and the new textures (hehe and my fairy nymph costume woot) :) thanks for your help!!!

Also thanks for the add pirate ;)
You can wear your tiara and your hair together!! Make sure your hair is on first, then in your inventory find the tiara, and right click it, then choose "Attach to" A whole list of body parts comes up.  I think forehead is an option and I know nose is too.  On skull it will probably say that you're wearing your hair there, so choose another head area.  Its very likely your tiara won't be placed correctly but do  not fear.. Right click the tiara itself and choose "Edit" A small box will come up, and there will be arrows over the tiara so you can move it up/down, side to side and forward/back.  If you need to adjust the rotation, just look in that little box that popped up and click the cirlc next to rotation.  Now you'll have a globe with different colored lines going around to adjust the angle the tiara sits at.  The great news is that once you have it adjusted, it will save that placement, so next time you go to put it on, just click wear and it will land right where you had it last time!  See you soon!
´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ♥ ~Jewel~ ♥ aka ShakeYerBootyWench
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

~Jewel Tigerpaw~
Pages: [1]   Go Up