VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your Thanksgiving menu?  (Read 28067 times)

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
What's your Thanksgiving menu?
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:59 PM »

This Sunday I am having Thanksgiving at my house (I have to work on Thursday).  I always host a dinner and have a tree trimming party which means I don't have to do much of the decorating.  My friends don't cook much and they would rather put up the tree so it's a fair trade. 

We're very traditional so I'm making turkey breasts, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, rolls, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpking pie, and lemon meringue pie.

When I lived at home my dad and I had a three year stretch where we altered the menu, trying to do things a bit differently.  The rest of our family and friends held an intervention of sorts where they basically said they liked the old menu and we were no longer allowed to deviate from it.   :lolg:  They do give us a bit more leeway at Christmas so we gave in. 

Whenever I cook for a holiday I get very nostalgic for the days when I was younger and my mom did the cooking.  She is the kind of person that wants everyone to have just what they like the best, so her menus would be crazy with two different meats, four kinds of potatoes, three different dressings, two different corns, and my personal favorite - five different kinds of iced tea.  She would start saving milk jugs a couple of weeks before to put the tea in and then she would stick post-it notes on them as to what kind it was.  One year she ended up one jug short and put one of the teas in a tupperware bowl with a ladle.  My cousin, as she was ladling tea all over her plate said, "Aunt Mary, your gravy is kind of thin this year."   :rofl1:

Now that I live in Florida my parents come down here for the holidays and our group is much smaller as is my kitchen, so Mom had to give in to the idea of less food.  She's handling it fairly well. 

I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing this year.
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!
FurballWench

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Laundry, Cooking and Cleaning
    Puppy Diamonds
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • more laundry....
Re: What's your Thanksgiving menu?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 05:31 PM »

Omg gosh Kat! What a great story - thin gravy!!!  :rofl1:

Thanksgiving menu we have pretty much every year that I can remember since I was a kid: Turkey(not just breast); homemade stuffing, gravy, succotash(lima beans & corn); mashed potatos, sweet potatos and apples (baked together); coleslaw, rolls, cranberry sauce, iced tea, coffee, hot tea, pumpkin pie and mincedmeat pie, whipped cream for pies (the real stuff as Mom says, no can/frozen kind)

After I started cooking this meal I used to get up early to stuff the bird and start it; then I learned to stuff that turkey the night before and put in oven to cook overnight (slightly less temp, longer time)- yummm the smell in the morning is great!  Mom and Dad make the whipped cream, pies and the sweetpotato/apple dish; grandmom (bless her) makes the coleslaw.  :bighug:

My very first year I was married and made Thanksgiving dinner.  As we all sat down, my Dad took one of my burnt rolls (yep, I burned them!) and rolled it across the floor to our dog!  Lol, luckily my wonderful dog ate it even though it was burned as my Mom was saying "Now dear what are you doing that for?" Dad's reply "She looked hungry and couldn't wait"  :rofl1:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:08 PM by funfly »

PrincessWendyBird

• That is why I LOVE it here!
    Sugar Daddys, Gas, and even some bare booties - Woot!

Sometimes it takes a fire to bring a flood.
  • Princess Mod
    • Our Family MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55 PM »

Oh, I love seeing everyone's different menus for Thanksgiving - and the funny stories to go with them!  :lolg: We used to do Thanksgiving at my grandparents' with all of the cousins and aunts/uncles up until the year my dad died. Since then, we do a smaller Thanksgiving with my mom, sister, and the four of us at my mom's house. But, King and I do all of the cooking. (Well, King does most all of the cooking) I have all of the "family recipes" for Thanksgiving in a three ring binder so every Thanksgiving, we just get out the binder and voila - everything we need! We pretty much have the same goodies each year: Turkey, Stove Top Stuffing (cornbread and traditional), mashed potatoes, gravy,
rolls, green bean casserole (made with french style green beans), a corn casserole (made with corn meal and canned corn), 7 layer salad, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes w/marshmallows, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. We have Cool Whip and a small amount of real whipped cream. (I love Cool Whip and King loves the real stuff)

We also have a tradition of baking Pillsbury rolls with the orange flavored icing for breakfast and eat while we watch the Macy's parade and cook. My dad loved those and it has sort of become a tradition for our family also. I don't have many funny stories, except for one year when our son was about 3 years old. We always have eggnog around starting Thanksgiving Day. Eggnog (the no alcohol kind) is a favorite here and a staple from Thanksgiving until Christmas. Our son tried it and loved it! We put some in his sippy cup and he was off to play. Little did we all know that every time he was empty, he found a different family member, and we were all refilling his cup. (Yep he was playing us all!  :lolg: ) When did we find out he had been given enough eggnog to feed a small country? When he threw it all back up all over my mom's living room carpet. Only then did all of the adults start comparing notes. Sneaky little devil!  >:D  :rofl1:

BooLani

• A Toddle Tail for a reasonable Fee...
  • Fireworks Magic
  • fighting one bit of paperwork at a time
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:09 PM »

Well this is my first thanksgiving being an English transplant in Cali so I'm looking forward to joining in a  new for me tradition, so decided Im going to stick with my baking fever and make some more of the Pecan Tassies that I made for Fee and I on Wednesday, to take to dinner. so when everyone's too full from dinner and deserts I can sit there munching on my little tartlets hehe, probably make some for Fee to take to work with him that day too :)

thealienstitch

• Lag may not be a new item,
    but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
  • Blood Type: Espresso
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:42 AM »

I have to work on Thanksgiving, and so at LAX Airport our Terminal is having a Potluck with all of us bringing home cooked items. It will be great fun, as each year we have so much food which gets yummed up by everyone. I am bringing a real traditional British Stuffing, that Boo and I will make together. :) Mmmmmmmm, Love Thanksgiving, and all the food.........................Fee  :clap1:
The good old days, the honest man, The restless heart, the Promised Land. A subtle kiss that no one sees, A broken wrist and a big trapeze. Oh well I don't mind, if you don't mind. 'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine. Before you go, can you read my mind?- "Read My Mind" by The Killers

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
  • Sir IQuack4Wenches & sometimes I quack myself up!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:41 AM »

Well this is my first thanksgiving being an English transplant in Cali so I'm looking forward to joining in a  new for me tradition, so decided Im going to stick with my baking fever and make some more of the Pecan Tassies that I made for Fee and I on Wednesday, to take to dinner. so when everyone's too full from dinner and deserts I can sit there munching on my little tartlets hehe, probably make some for Fee to take to work with him that day too :)

So.......does Fee call you "his little tartlet"? :lolg:
I know that the voices aren't real,
But they have some good ideas anyway.

I say you are a wench because it's a good thing!:rum:

Life is good on the lunatic fringe.

thealienstitch

• Lag may not be a new item,
    but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
  • Blood Type: Espresso
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:39 AM »

Nope Nope Nope, if I did I would receive such a slap over the head with a battered sausage hee hee hee hee.............................Fee  :rofl1:
The good old days, the honest man, The restless heart, the Promised Land. A subtle kiss that no one sees, A broken wrist and a big trapeze. Oh well I don't mind, if you don't mind. 'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine. Before you go, can you read my mind?- "Read My Mind" by The Killers

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:02 AM »

Nope Nope Nope, if I did I would receive such a slap over the head with a battered sausage hee hee hee hee.............................Fee  :rofl1:

Don't let nuthin but fear hold ya back. :lolg:

gshawen

• Can't believe I am 21 now.  :angel:
    Neither can the Tag Fairy
    ;)
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 10:09 AM »

This thread is worthless without recipes, so start posting them starting with these.

5 kinds of ice tea
homemade stuffing
whipped cream for pies (the real stuff as Mom says, no can/frozen kind)

And to start this off I will post my mom's and grandma's cranberry salad recipe. I hate cranberries but I love this stuff.

CRANBERRY SALAD   

1 Orange 
1 can or bag of Cranberries
½ c. Pecans
1 ½ Cups sugar
2 small pkgs Jello Cherry or Strawberry
Mix Jello with 1 ½ Cups of water per box
 I use Cherry Jello

Grind all of these:

1 Orange  (Grind all even the peel but take out the piece that the orange was attached to the tree, and also the middle section of the orange, the inner skin thing  or most of it)
½ c. Pecans

then add:

1 ½ Cups sugar
2 small pkgs Jello Cherry or Strawberry(we use cherry Jello)

Than put in fridge and let get firm and cold
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:56 PM by gshawen »

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 02:16 PM »

This thread is worthless without recipes, so start posting them starting with these.

5 kinds of ice tea
homemade stuffing
whipped cream for pies (the real stuff as Mom says, no can/frozen kind)

And to start this off I will post my mom's and grandma's cranberry salad recipe. I hate cranberries but I love this stuff.

CRANBERRY SALAD   

1 Orange 
½ c. Pecans
1 ½ Cups sugar
2 small pkgs Jello Cherry or Strawberry
 I use Cherry Jello

Grind all of these:

1 Orange  (Grind all even the peel)
½ c. Pecans

then add:

1 ½ Cups sugar
2 small pkgs Jello Cherry or Strawberry(we use cherry Jello)

Than put in fridge and let get firm and cold

Oh Yummm...sounds so good- I think I'm going to add this one to my dinner! Thanks Gas.  :thumb:

Only one I can do from memory is:
Whipped cream for pies:  Buy heavy cream or whipping cream (usually with the coffee creamers, etc)  Pour into cold mixing bowl; and whip/beat on high speed until thickened and forms peaks...Beat in  2-3 tablespoons of sugar to your taste and serve or store in refrigerator.  You don't need to add the sugar if you don't like it sweet.

If you have extra left you can put little spoonfuls on a foil lined pan and place in freezer. Once frozen -peel the frozen whipped cream "dollops/clumps" and place in a covered container and return to freezer. Then they are good to go for whenever you want one or two for leftover pie or hot chocolate.

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 03:23 PM »

From memory.......Wine, pull cork.......drink!! :drinkingtoast:

BooLani

• A Toddle Tail for a reasonable Fee...
  • Fireworks Magic
  • fighting one bit of paperwork at a time
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 03:27 PM »

Indeed you would  :slap:

soo good to know I have you well trained  :rofl1:

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 03:33 PM »

From memory.......Wine, pull cork.......drink!! :drinkingtoast:
:lolg:  :drinkingtoast:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 04:22 PM »

Well, we are not traditional at all for Thanksgiving.  Not big fans of turkey or stuffing, so we have a honey-spiral ham on Thanksgiving instead.   :laugh:

Sides:  mashed potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and an absolute must... King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls.

Dessert:  Pumpkin pie and Apple pie.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone    :hug:

:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

SweetasaDaisy

• Deet as a Swaisy
    It's the law, or it will be
  • Diabolical Trivia Diva
  • Inferno Magic
  • Just a Crazy Daisy
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01 PM »

Thanksgiving is a huge event for my family.  We host our entire immediate family of 30 (it's a big gathering) and we cook most of the food on that day.

Traditionally, my grandmother does a regular turkey in the oven, while my father smokes one and fries one (the fried one is delicious, I totally want his recipe).  My other grandmother does stuffing, one aunt does mashed potatoes, another sweet potatoes, the last one green beans, corn, and deviled eggs (they are to die for).  My mother bakes the rolls and makes most of the appetizers/desserts.  The only dessert not made by my mother is the mouthwatering pumpkin cheesecake made by my cousin's fiance (I REALLY need this recipe......I knew there was a reason he liked her, lol.....seriously though she's a very nice girl).

While that would be enough for the traditional meal, my grandfather says "It's not Thanksgiving if the Italians don't provide their touch to it."  So, in addition to this, he makes homemade ravioli and meatballs.  He also brings whatever seafood he thinks is freshest to the meal (oysters, shrimp, crabs) and does them "Italian style" (he says he won't give up his recipe until he croaks  :lolg:).  To put my grandfather's mindset in your minds, I was told to teach the family how to "properly" taste wine since I am taking a wine tasting class this semester.  When I told my grandfather that he should only fill his glass halfway so he can swirl it, he looked at me like I had just blasphemed.  He proceeded to say "This is how you taste wine", drained his glass, and said "Tasted pretty damn good to me."   :laugh2:

I missed last year's celebration because I was studying abroad.  While studying abroad is an experience I would not trade for the world, having Thanksgiving dinner consisting of dry chicken (seriously, chicken!) at a TGIFriday's in Dublin was not the best experience. 

Princess, I have a similar story to the "sippy cup" story.  My sister about 10 years ago (she was 5 at the time) was at the Thanksgiving table with the family and I.  My mother allowed her to try some of the wine in her cup.  When she looked back at the wine glass, she found it empty.  My 5 year old sister drained the glass of wine.  After a few minutes, she proclaimed "I feel dizzy" and proceeded to dance ballerina style across the family room.   :rofl1:  The video will certainly be played at her wedding.   :lolp:

Check Out Daisy's Daily Disney Diabolical Trivia: http://www.vmknobs.com/index.php?board=64.0

(Do you actually say I'm a wench?)

funfly

• Past Sports:
    Badminton & Archery

Current Sports:
    Puppy Diamonds
  • more laundry....
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 11:35 AM »

Daisy,
Immediate family of 30 - wow and the food must keep you full until Christmas! We used to have gatherings like that- enjoy them while they are there! Your Italian grandfather teaching wine tasting--LOVE that story!

And now a song "I feel pretty, oh so pretty..." is stuck in my head from the thoughts of your sister ballerina dancing around "I feel dizzy..."  :lolg:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:01 PM by funfly »

gshawen

• Can't believe I am 21 now.  :angel:
    Neither can the Tag Fairy
    ;)
  • Fireworks Magic
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 10:19 AM »

Traditionally, my grandmother does a regular turkey in the oven, while my father smokes one and fries one (the fried one is delicious, I totally want his recipe).  

Sorry but that sounded so funny to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up