VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Life Tips  (Read 17396 times)

Decoy

• Head Decoy In Charge
    Yet Still Just a Decoy...

Where'd he go now?
  • HDIC
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Nothing to See Here...
    • CRS - Caffeinated & Requiring Sugar
Second Life Tips
« on: February 21, 2007, 06:07 AM »

Please put all SL tips in this thread.
...ʞɔɐq ʎɯ uo ʇɐ1ɟ ...sɐʍ ı ǝɹǝɥʇ

hrhkit

Re: Second Life Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 02:36 PM »

I'm impatiently waiting for some tips here guys... [nails tapping on desk...]

When I fly I run into things, when I try to change clothes I am naked for way too long, and I still for the life of me can't figure out how to easily get the screen where you log into the SL world....I know I'm lame. But help this newbie out, please. I swear I'll catch on eventually.  :(

~Kit  :notme:

bezoar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 05:13 PM »

I'm impatiently waiting for some tips here guys... [nails tapping on desk...]

When I fly I run into things, when I try to change clothes I am naked for way too long, and I still for the life of me can't figure out how to easily get the screen where you log into the SL world....I know I'm lame. But help this newbie out, please. I swear I'll catch on eventually.  :(

~Kit  :notme:

I still fly into things especially when it's laggy. You saw my wardrobe, erm, malfunction. And I'm not sure what you mean about the log-in screen?

About the clothes changing -- I think if you keep the lowest layer always on, and only change the outer layers, you won't be completely revealed. I haven't had more than a single outfit long enough, clearly, to be able to help you out. Somehow, I bet Jewel and Fan would be able to help you out better...

hrhkit

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 05:19 PM »

I still fly into things especially when it's laggy. You saw my wardrobe, erm, malfunction. And I'm not sure what you mean about the log-in screen?

About the clothes changing -- I think if you keep the lowest layer always on, and only change the outer layers, you won't be completely revealed. I haven't had more than a single outfit long enough, clearly, to be able to help you out. Somehow, I bet Jewel and Fan would be able to help you out better...

OK, good to know I'm not the only one who flies into things... ;D

The log in screen...hmmm...how to explain. I know I'm so lame on this it's like I've never even seen a computer before. <sigh> OK, I go to www.secondlife.com and I log in. I get this page with all this second life crap on it...forums, community, scads of stuff. I have to dig around to find a picture to click on that will say "teleport here" for me to finally get the log in page for me to actually get into the World. Does that make sense? (Please refrain from laughing long enough to help me here...i beg of you.)  :-[

Oh, and we'll see how the wardrobe thing goes. I've been informed by the girls that I need to go purchase some underwear!!!!  :lol:

bezoar

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:40 PM »

OK, I go to www.secondlife.com and I log in. I get this page with all this second life crap on it...forums, community, scads of stuff. I have to dig around to find a picture to click on that will say "teleport here" for me to finally get the log in page for me to actually get into the World. Does that make sense? (Please refrain from laughing long enough to help me here...i beg of you.)  :-[

OH! Don't launch Second Life via an internet browser -- there's a completely separate Second Life client application that you should just double-click on, and it will bring you straight to the log-in page.

Oh, and we'll see how the wardrobe thing goes. I've been informed by the girls that I need to go purchase some underwear!!!!  :lol:
That's priceless... No wonder you were getting tips!

tigressjewel

• Snowman Magic
  • Tiggers don't like honey! (or BS)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 04:11 AM »

Kit, it sounds like  you haven't downloaded the SL application?  I downloaded it right away, and now I have an icon on my desktop and in my start menu for Second life.  You need to do that go here: http://secondlife.com/community/downloads.php
I'm assuming you are using windows, not Mac or Linux.  Anyway, download that, and it will be super simple for you to log in!

Underwear:
There is plenty of free underwear available, and if all else fails you can certainly make a pair of panties real quick.  They may not be fancy, but they will cover you.  When you are changing, you do not have to remove your shirt to put on another shirt, the new one will replace the old one.  Just realize that you do have more than one layer of clothes.  For top you have undershirt (bra), shirt and jacket.  On the bottom, underwear, pants and skirt.  You can also be wearing socks and shoes.  As long as you keep a layer on, you should be ok to change clothes anywhere.  We can get together again today and I'll help all I can!
´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ♥ ~Jewel~ ♥ aka ShakeYerBootyWench
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

~Jewel Tigerpaw~

PirateDaisy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:37 AM »

I hate that I'm always looking at my back, especially when I'm changing my look. Is there any way I could look at myself straight on other than editing appearance? I've used the camera as well but she tends not to look at it straight on, any other suggestions?

bezoar

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 12:17 PM »

I hate that I'm always looking at my back, especially when I'm changing my look. Is there any way I could look at myself straight on other than editing appearance? I've used the camera as well but she tends not to look at it straight on, any other suggestions?
If you're not trying to move around, then you can get a "pose stand", that locks you in a particular position. I wrote a really simple one, but there are freebie and cheap ones too.

tigressjewel

• Snowman Magic
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 12:52 PM »

I use alt, while I'm using the arrow keys, you can zoom in and move around view from all angles, even into next rooms, once you play with it.  Try it, works great!
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))

~Jewel Tigerpaw~

SaraAriel

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 11:14 AM »

Is there a way to keep the game from constantly freezing?  It either freezes on me or just crashes.  My system meets the requirements for the game but I'm literally ready to pull my hair out trying to move around freely once in the game.

tigressjewel

• Snowman Magic
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 04:09 AM »

The first thought that comes to mind is graphics card.  The game actually runs smoother for me on my desktop than it does on my husbands laptop even though my desktop processor is slower.  In my desktop I have a better graphics card.  I also find that being wired works much better than wireless internet.  You might also try looking on the SL knowledge base for articles on improving performance.  I've seen them in my searching, but I've never read or bookmarked them.  Hope that helps a little.
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))

~Jewel Tigerpaw~

bezoar

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:22 AM »

Is there a way to keep the game from constantly freezing?  It either freezes on me or just crashes.  My system meets the requirements for the game but I'm literally ready to pull my hair out trying to move around freely once in the game.

Yes, SL is very very graphics processor and CPU intensive. I'd suggest first trying to turn down ALL the graphics display settings down to the minimum, just to see if that improves things. Then, start adding back settings until you figure out which one does the most damage.

I'm on a Mac, and Macs are incredibly crash-proof, compared to other OS's, from a system standpoint. In other words, on Macs, even when one application crashes, it tends not to affect other applications or the OS at all. Why do I mention this? Well, SL is the ONLY application I have that can fairly regularly take down the entire Mac OS, completely freezing the system, or sending it into a "kernel panic".

SL is just rather... demanding on computers, I think.

hrhkit

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 11:54 AM »

OK...I still consider myself a newbie with lots to learn. But what I do know is this...you need to get new skin and new hair...so do this:

Sarah's freebies is the best place for free skin (well, that's where i got mine--Caramel). The place moved though, so the Landmark (LM) is new: 127, 110, 24.

As for hair, go to Diversity Hair (73, 145, 48), the other is GuRLyWood (110,111,21). You use a voucher to get free hair. For the vouchers to work, you have to be, i think, less than a month old or something like that. There are gazillions of hairstyles to choose from. I think between the skin and hair vouchers, and then what i did tweeking my look, it got me where i am today. :)

hrhkit

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 12:59 PM »

1) Changing clothes without flashing everyone:

OK, now I don't know if this is the BEST way to change clothes, but this is what *I* do...

Instead of going to 'Edit' 'Appearance'...and changing my clothes there, I just go straight to my Inventory and click whatever clothing I want to wear (click 'Wear'...or some you have to 'Attach'). Then I 'Take Off' whatever excess clothing I have on afterwards, thereby eliminating as much nakedness as possible.

Took me awhile to figure all this out before flashing people a few too many times.  :-[

2) Another tip: If you want to see just the clothes you have on...go to Inventory, then at top, type WORN...this will pull up what you are wearing!

3) OK, one more...if you want to see yourself, press the alt button and use the mouse (I think this is called mouselook) and you can scroll around and zoom in and out to look at yourself or any where. There are also free pose stands available...you stand on it and it turns you around so you can see yourself.

Hope this helps the noobs, Kit

tequoia

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 10:01 AM »

As a noob, can we make Linden dollars without putting out real money?

~Anne

bezoar

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 03:31 PM »

As a noob, can we make Linden dollars without putting out real money?

~Anne

Not really, other than camping. Because L$ actually has "real worth" (i.e., L$270 =~ US$1, on various currency exchanges), there's no "easy" way to get free L$, because that's the equivalent of expecting free real money.

I personally have never purchased L$ using real money. I did spend a lot of my first 2 months in Second Life "camping" (and accumulated ~L$6,000 that way = probably ~500 hours of camping, LOL), but during the camping time, I'd be checking out SL resources / forums / blogs, and learning my way around.

I eventually taught myself scripting (my skills lie more in being a geeky programmer than a creative Photoshop designer, or a builder), and came up with a marketable script which has since sold very well. I was lucky, though, both in that I just happen to enjoy scripting, so I was having fun while learning, but also hitting a good market niche.

There's plenty of ways to have fun without L$, but if shopping is your main enjoyment, you may end up wanting a lot more L$ than you can get through camping. In the grand scheme of things, although many people (like me) are very averse to spending "real money" to get L$, remember that if you skipped two Starbucks over-priced coffees, or one el-cheapo eat-out lunch, you'd be able to afford more than L$2,000 (~166 hours worth of typical camping). It's all up to you :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up