VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Computer tech support needed  (Read 11272 times)

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Help Computer tech support needed
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:48 AM »

Ok my hi speed internet is getting so slow it is like I am on dial up.  I have noticed when my son is home it is terrible.  He likes to download lots of programs.  We are all on wireless net work.

My question is has he downloaded something to speed up his computer that makes the rest dead slow.  Many times I click a page and by the time it gets to it says no page found.

If he is downloading games can this make out computers slow. He says no. But I told him he is not to download games because he got a notice of copy right violation. So I banned him from doing this.  We pay for internet not him.

What can I do to speed it up.

Thanks

You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

melkrirob

Re: Help Computer tech support needed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:07 PM »

Hi sweet heart,

There are a lot of thing you should do or can do.
Make sure first you run your anti spyware- anti virus first to eliminate unwanted pest. I have found some good inforamtion about lag in this site. http://www.endlagnow.org/
The following tips are from them.
1. CONNECT DIRECTLY TO THE NET
LAG REDUCING TIP #1

Don’t use a router, and for heaven’s sake don’t use a switch! Plug the internet straight into your computer, because every time data hits a piece of hardware on the net your latency goes up. More latency could potentially mean more Lag. If you follow this tip, please make sure your computer is protected with a good firewall software when connected to the net.

2. TURN OFF YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
LAG REDUCING TIP #2

We all hate viruses, but anti-virus software eats up valuable CPU cycles that could be spent helping you frag your enemy. Turn it off, and free up your processor to focus on the game. Don't forget to turn your anti-virus software back on or run regular scans when not playing!

3. GET THE BEST CONNECTION YOU CAN
LAG REDUCING TIP #3

The faster your ISP service is, the lower your latency will be. The lower your latency is, the less Lag you’ll experience.

4. KILL UN-NEEDED APPLICATIONS
LAG REDUCING TIP #4

If there are applications or background tasks running, it’s a sure bet that your machine is going to devote some CPU to it. Don’t let it happen!!!!

5. RUN SPYWARE CHECKS PERIODICALLY
LAG REDUCING TIP #5

Nothing can slow down a machine like a good dose of Spyware. Don’t let those murderous bastards who write Spyware ruin your game.

6. CHOOSE THE SERVER WITH THE LOWEST PING
LAG REDUCING TIP #6

When you decide between playing on a server with a ping of 36, or a server with a ping of 150... choose the 36!!! Seriously, if you connect to the server with a high ping you will not only expose yourself to potential Lag, but you will expose everybody else as well. Everybody loses when somebody with a terrible Ping signs onto the server.

7. TONE DOWN YOUR GRAPHICS SETTINGS
LAG REDUCING TIP #7

This is a well known trick to improve system performance

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Re: Help Computer tech support needed
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 04:21 PM »

Hugs Rob,

Well since we are on a wireless network I think I would be called a female dog if I disconnected everyone else. Though the thought has crossed my mind.

I did turn of anti virus and it helped a lot.

Now I do close off things at the bottom of the screen, when I click close or exist does this mean they have stop working in the background.

Yes I did find some spyware and got rid of them :)

How do I know what ping level the sites I go to.

How do I lower my graphics settings.

Thanks for you help.

There has been an improvement but still needs more tweaking.

You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up