VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trading Scam Alert  (Read 8481 times)

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Trading Scam Alert
« on: July 12, 2008, 04:44 PM »

Keep you eyes open. Never trade anything if you can not see it in the trade box. Never !!!! I think we adults are smart enough but please pass
this on to your kids playing.

I was asked to trade three ruby magic for one sparkle. I said sure. I put it in and waited.

he said can you see it. (first clue we never say that we say is that what you wanted, or is that the right amount not
can you see it)

I said no and asked him not to do this it hurts people he said prove it.

I did send in pic of this to VFK contact us. As the trade never happened I do not know what can be done.

But because of the bugs many may think it is one. It is not the bugs even if it could be never trade if you do not see things in your trade box

I also sent it in incase any kids already get scammed and because it is a guest hard to remember there title. :)

PS I am first to post in trades :) Well not a trade but was about trading :)
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
Re: Trading Scam Alert
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:45 PM »

I know not everyone is able to or choses to use gadget.  Gadget does have feature where it automatically takes a photo of trades.

When the magic pins first came out I experienced a bit of a trading bug.  It was my first trade.  I was trading 2 store magic in return for one quest magic.  It took 3 or 4 tries until both of us had the window square.  When I put my 2 pins in the window, (possiblly due to lag) it appeared on my side as 3.  I had no idea what the other player did or did not see.  I just knew something was wrong on my side.  When I removed one, it appeared as only one pin on her end.  I told the player, please let's start again.  Then we got it set and she decided on different store magic.  Removing an item again caused a viewing issue.  Third time was the charm.  After the trade I asked the player to check her inventory to be sure the items did get there....and I did the same.  It was fine.

Recently when I was gifting a few items I experienced a similar issue.  I knew I only had 2 of certain items on my character in inventory, but with lag it appeared in the trade window as 3 of some items.  The end result was a max of 7 items, not 8 in the window.   

Tip: Add items slowly. 
Tip: If it appears as if an extra item has been loading in to the trade window (for either player), cancel the trade and start over.

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:59 PM »

for some reason gadget does not pick it up till trade accepted. Must be a que for it. Since nothing was accept no picture. This was nothing like what happened to you. I too went through that.

But they key was do you see it. Remember those words. Then when I said please do not trade this way he said prove it. Normal players would say I can see are you sure. Lets try again.

Instead he was pushing for me to contact staff. So I knew what he was doing but some kids will not :(

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:02 PM »

for some reason gadget does not pick it up till trade accepted. Must be a que for it. Since nothing was accept no picture. This was nothing like what happened to you. I too went through that.

But they key was do you see it. Remember those words. Then when I said please do not trade this way he said prove it. Normal players would say I can see are you sure. Lets try again.

Instead he was pushing for me to contact staff. So I knew what he was doing but some kids will not :(

Thanks for the tip on gadget.  It is unfortunate that players feel the need to scam.  VFK would be wise to send some staff members undercover in trade rooms to flush out the "bad guys and gals".  Such a move would certainly send a message. 

BitBehindWench

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 04:57 PM »

Thanks for posting and for the tips!   :thumbs:

Even though I'm an adult, it's a good reminder.  Because the trade windows in vfk seem to go very slowly.  Sometimes I click forever it seems on an item before it finally shows up in the trade window.
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:35 PM »

While on the phone with VFK tonight I mentioned Belle's specific experience in trades.  They were goign to look in to it.  I also suggested they send Staff undercover in trade rooms. 

VFK is looking for suggestion on how they should handle first time and repeat scammers. One thing under consideration is blocking them from trading for a period of time.  If anyone has ideas on how they should deal with scammers, now would be a good time to write contact us. 

BitBehindWench

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:57 AM »

This is a real tough one. As we have learned from VMK there was one scammer who succeed and never got banned. And even if they did ban them they had other mules ready to go.

Maybe ban the whole IP address from trading not great for families but they could still play and earn credits. But what you will find this will not be something most families will run into. It is the kids who are not superivised on the net that do this. And and sadly some adults. Those adults should be banned permanently no if ands or buts.

How about a scarlet letter for consistant scammers. Like in are pin box area. After so many reports you get this badge that tells the players to be weary.

This would not be permanent. After a few months it can be taken off . Now that sure would be something that would stop them. Though extremely embarrassing. Not as painful as stealing from another player. I know big meanie I am.

This is not for one or two possible scams but for a constant problem trader.

Pages: [1]   Go Up