VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Elf Island  (Read 41230 times)

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Flying Carpet Magic
Elf Island
« on: July 09, 2008, 05:16 PM »

Well, we've all tried so many different things... I am posting this link set up for Former VMK players.  The link was given by Lily and if I am correct the game is some how related to Smallworlds.  It will be interesting to see how those that critisized taking advantage of VMK players feel about the offer which sounds vaugely familiar and I see a mouse reference - but I will give it a look.

Quote from: Lily(myspace)
This seems to look like a fun and wholesome place for adventure! I came accross this link with a special pre-registration link for VMK peeps! Let me know what you think...

http://www.registration.elfisland.com/vmk.php
It is rumored Lily or Hula might be headed to this game.  Interesting to note, I look and can't come across this except from her so that would seem to substatiate the rumor she is headed there.

It looks like it will be geared to the younger crowd.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:41 PM by Adventuredaz »

AmberDaze

• I'm not dead either
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Re: Elf Island
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:26 PM »

I signed up. Guess now we have to wait...  :)

Once a bridge blocker, always a bridge blocker...
Fireworks Highscore:
8552, on 8-2-07

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:32 PM »

I signed up. Guess now we have to wait...  :)
yup...ok have some elf cool-aid while you wait... :notme:

thealienstitch

• Lag may not be a new item,
    but it is Free and
    only half the calories
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
  • Blood Type: Espresso
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48 PM »

I think Boo and I may have to check out this game. Fee definitely is interested yup yup yup...................Fee :)
The good old days, the honest man, The restless heart, the Promised Land. A subtle kiss that no one sees, A broken wrist and a big trapeze. Oh well I don't mind, if you don't mind. 'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine. Before you go, can you read my mind?- "Read My Mind" by The Killers

CoralHibiscus

• Nobody pay attention
    to my rear!!!
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:36 AM »

I registered for it earlier today. I won't be CoralHibiscus on there though since it was 1 letter too long!  >:[

But I will be CoralRose.
  You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:27 AM »

I can not wait till they all talk about another place taking advantage of the poor VMK refugees. I guess this one will be allowed because the developers did not try and recruit yet at Dis. So I registered

UNPROVINCIALWENCH! Kat says I am worldy in a good sense :)

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:58 AM »

I can not wait till they all talk about another place taking advantage of the poor VMK refugees. I guess this one will be allowed because thedevelopers did not try and recruit yet at Dis. So I registered
hmm, no comment.  No reason to talk about DIS issues, what happens there stays there - its like Vegas.  Seriously though I brought this here from the source I named and had no idea if it had been picked up elsewhere.  Our goal here is in no way to be an extension of any other boards or a sounding board where we complain about people from other places or bring issues from elsewhere. I know it happens but we do wish to minimize it and avoid it really. (Yeah I guess i started it by asking  - so I will redirect ;)

On the note of approaching formor VMK plaers I really have no issue with pretty much any method games use to get people into them - true they should follow the rules of whatever venue they chose but I don't look at targeting a market with a need as taking advantage of them. I think if someone had a problem with the VFK approach then they could have issue with this approach - it is just a softer sell. I also - as an adult that strictly polices computer use of my child, am not real concerned about COPPA although it is important - I don't fully understand it.  I have registered my Daughter (with a shorter title - 12 letters is max) it did not request a parent e-mail or verification and nothing was sent out so IMO any age child can sign up without parents knowing - to me they are not meeting the standard either but again I think there is always a way around this if a kid wants to play, they know more about computers then us. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:18 PM by Adventuredaz »

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:34 PM »

Ok got it no mentioning the other board though we all know it. Should we name it pickels. No serioulsy I do understand and it is a good policy. Better to stay away from that. Which is the reason I think we have not discussed anything that has happened in the last 24 hours :) To forums all over the web :)

Interesting find on the COPPA issue though. Maybe because it is not an active sight nothing has to happen yet.

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:46 PM »

OK question how would we know if it is open. They did not take any email information. Just seemed kinda odd.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49 PM »

OK question how would we know if it is open. They did not take any email information. Just seemed kinda odd.

It just said to check the Blog I believe.    :??:

Thanks for posting Add!  The graphics are really pretty so far.
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

Bugdozer

• Classes Coming Soon:
    Elf Defense
    Elf Respect
    Elf Motivation &
    Elf Control
  • Snowman Magic
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 06:07 PM »

Hi,

Ok just heard about this. I signed up and will do as others and wait and see. As far as COPPA goes you only reserved your name that is it- that is why they did not ask for an e-mail.  You will have to do the actual registration once the game opens.  As far as how sites round up tplayers that was not my issue with vfk it is all the vmk copying is see but I am not in the mood to rehash that out again. Time will tell what will happen there. I have not really had much time latley to play online games :'( but i registered our names so they do not get taken by someone else.

Added:

A letter was sent to the people of Elfisland concerning coppa as it apperaered they were not compliant. Here is the response back and it answers some of the questions:

Hi Aengus,

Thanks for the outreach! We appreciate your positive comments regarding Elf Island and our blog.

As you can imagine, we are bursting at the seams to share Elf Island and the goodies found inside this revolutionary virtual world.

As parents of twin boys, <name removed by aengus for their privacy> and I take COPPA and how people market to kids very seriously. And, as the architects of Elf Island, we are equally as passionate about making sure we are 100% COPPA compliant. We have a team of attorneys, as well as the organization Truste, guiding us and ensuring we are running our business properly and responsibly.

Let me explain our pre-registration, and answer the question that you posed.

Elf Island’s pre-reg allows the registration of a user-created and anonymous "user name" and "password." We do not ask for any personally identifiable information and no one will have the ability to disclose any information to any third party in or through the pre-registration site.

A user that decides to pre-register does not have access to any chat rooms, message boards or any other live-posting forums (all of which will become available upon the launch of the full site). In fact, all that has occurred during pre-reg is that a child can secure a favorite “user name” and “password” and, under COPPA, this activity does not require notices, disclosures and requirements to be in full play.

Pre-registration will not enable any user to access the Elf Island website when the game launches. At launch, Elf Island will require everyone to fully register and we will continue to demonstrate COPPA compliance with all notices, disclosures and opt out requirements. As I am sure you know, parents are required to be notified when a child signs up for an online game.

Elf Island is dedicated to ensuring COPPA compliance, and as parents we are passionate about this commitment on a personal level. Elf Island’s mission is to ‘do good’ and is the credo we live by. Every aspect of Elf Island focuses on giving back, working as a community, and being responsible citizens. We can't wait for you to personally discover all that Elf Island has to offer.

We are happy to continue this discussion, and look forward to helping kids have fun while doing good. Meanwhile, continue checking our blog on Elf Island!!

Thanks,

XXX (removed by Aengus in case the writer didnt want their name disclosed)

"In compliance with The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA"), it is necessary for us to obtain parental permission for all children under the age of thirteen (13) to register as a member of Elf Island. We will not knowingly accept, collect, maintain or use any information from any children under the age of 13 without first receiving appropriate verifiable consent. For any child under the age of 13, a parent or legal guardian will need to contact privacy@goodeggstudios.com to provide consent to such child's registration and for access to any area of Elf Island that may gather personal information. Permission and access will only be granted after such consent has been verified."

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 07:02 PM »

Does anyone know the future structure of this game with regard to pay? 
Will it be 100% free?
Will there be a monthly fee? 
Will there be an optional monthly fee to receive premium features?
Will there be gift cards, cash shop items? 

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Bugdozer

• Classes Coming Soon:
    Elf Defense
    Elf Respect
    Elf Motivation &
    Elf Control
  • Snowman Magic
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:05 PM »

Will it be 100% free?

As far as I know nothing stated yet. I reserved our names but will wait to read the "fine" print.

Bug

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 07:10 PM »

It's funny how we all see something different when we look at pics. That front page reminded me so much of Disney, toon town, and whoville village at univeral. The founder hats reminds me of figment. :) and the Snow cave reminds me of Yeti.

The snow mountain reminds me of Typhoon lagoon. This site actually reminds me more of VMK. I signed up too. Not sure what to expect. But until it opens we do not really know. If is similar to VMK style I do not have issues with that. I just like to meet up with friends and have fun. No matter what the site is :)

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 07:20 PM »

Will it be 100% free?

As with all the games we have been trying - that information is yet to come - I would not be surprised if there is a fee eventually but almost all games offer a free option.

It is nice to see they seem to respond to inquiries, and seem to have a grasp of the requirements of running a game targeted to this age group - I guess when the real registration ocures is when the rest of the stuff kicks in about validation from parents.  It helped me understand it better.

ETA: My comments were completely accurate in my post about them not appearing compliant based on my understanding of the COPPA stuff - and I did note I did not fully understand it. 
I do not consider it to have been bad information or misinformation or in bad faith, but a description of my experience and my thoughts based on my knowledge of the act which I qualified.  I am satisfied at this time with that as their response. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:11 PM by Adventuredaz »

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 07:23 PM »

Okay, so how come I can't pre-register?  I see several have signed up today, but when I open the pre-registration link, I only see so much of the page.. and there is no side scroll bar.. so I can't access the "sign up" box.  It's the only piece missing.  :'(

littlebelle

• Used to be just here
    when DIS was down
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 07:27 PM »

are you going to the first site or the VMK refugee site. it is the only one that has pre-register http://www.registration.elfisland.com/vmk.php

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up