VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: All-star race week/Coca-Cola 600 LMS Charlotte - Discussion & pictures from race  (Read 17405 times)

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Flying Carpet Magic

Thought I would go ahead and kick off discussion of All-star week in Charlotte with this opportunity I have to attend one of the races.

For years I have wanted to attend a race - really any stock car race but Nascar in particular.  I missed about every opportunity I have had. I lived a number of years near a DIRT track and a drag race strip and have lived in NC 15 years yet still unable to pull it off.  The other day my Dad called and said he wanted us all to go to either the All-star or Coca-Cola 500 and to see what I can do about my schedule.  While I think the All-star race would be great, I am leaning towards the 500 for scheduling purposes (I think I can get away with it.)  I am working out the work schedule right now.  If it works out I doubt I can top AuntJewel’s pictures But I will do what I can.   Anyone ever been to Charlotte?   My parents go all the time so I guess they know the ins and outs at the track.  Also curious if you’re voting on the All-star – Who’s your pick?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:55 AM by Adventuredaz »

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
Re: All-star race week/Coca-Cola 500 LMS Charlotte - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:08 PM »

Adventure:
Hope the sceduling works out.  Have a great time.  I really don't follow racing.  We did get to  Louden, NH one year. We saw some of the NASCAR qualifying (for the next day) and a Busch Series Race.

And everyone...good luck with your picks!  :trophy:

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:01 PM »

OOOOO I am so excited for you Adventure! To go to either race would be spectacular. I can't wait to see the pictures. :) I too would have a difficult time choosing one race over the other. I would imagine that the all star race would be more for the fans, and the drivers may be more relaxed since the race is not a points race. But the coca cola race is such a big deal too. I have only been to Infineon and now Daytona so I can't help you with the Charlotte layout.

As far as the all star race goes I would really be hoping for Mark Martin to win it. I would love to see him get one more win before he retires. Have a great time Adventure!!  :trophy: :woot: :wavet: :yes!:
You say I am a wench like it's a bad thing. WEDGEWENCH

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 07:28 AM »

I have never gotten into racing as much as others, I am more on the fringe of it.  I guess from my inexperienced point of view, I would choose to go to Charlotte, simply because I see it as one of the iconic race tracks.  If I had the chance to go to Charlotte, Talladega, Darlington, or Daytona, I would go simply because I might not ever get the chance again.   
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!
FurballWench

Decoy

• Head Decoy In Charge
    Yet Still Just a Decoy...

Where'd he go now?
  • HDIC
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Nothing to See Here...
    • CRS - Caffeinated & Requiring Sugar
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:28 PM »

The Coca-Cola 600 is the longest race of the year... But, the all-star race, is almost always exciting due to the lack of any championship points consequences.  :hmmmm: Tough Choice!!! Hope you make it to one of them.
...ʞɔɐq ʎɯ uo ʇɐ1ɟ ...sɐʍ ı ǝɹǝɥʇ

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 02:24 PM »

Ok, we have the tickets for the Coca-Cola 500 on the 25th. So WOOT!!

I would really liked to go to the All-Star race because I agree it is a different setting and different environment. 

As far as the all star race goes - I guess our league does not pick for the race??? Anyway I voted for Michael Waltrip to be in the race. I like him, he's had a rough time and I doubt he would have a shot at winning but it will be his 15 Run if he gets in.   As far as winning - I am rooting for Jr. but think Jimmie Johnson will win with a good show from the other Hendrick cars as well as smoke and edwards.

This is a race that the pit stop can lose the Race so anything could happen but because it is short the cars should be mechanicly fine.

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:50 AM »

Just a riminder to get your picks in! Qualifying tonight I believe.

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 10:42 PM »

The Coca-cola 600 (lol got it wrong till now) was awesome to attend. We just got in from the race and I guess i will be spending most of the day tomorrow here in Charlotte with my parents.  Parking situation was pretty bad we left the house about 20 minutes away at about 3pm and we barely made our seats by 5pm we finally parked in a camping area since they directed us as far as they could and then left us to fend for ourselves.  we were fortunate to flag down a golf cart for a ride to the gate.  the race was great but not always easy to follow from the stands once they got into lapped traffic.  It is supper loud I did about 70 laps with no ear plugs just for the experience but at the first caution I stuck them in.  I will try to get some pictures up by tomorrow night. location for camera angle was not the best but I did what I could. 

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 10:46 PM »

The Coca-cola 600 (lol got it wrong till now) was awesome to attend. We just got in from the race and I guess i will be spending most of the day tomorrow here in Charlotte with my parents.  Parking situation was pretty bad we left the house about 20 minutes away at about 3pm and we barely made our seats by 5pm we finally parked in a camping area since they directed us as far as they could and then left us to fend for ourselves.  we were fortunate to flag down a golf cart for a ride to the gate.  the race was great but not always easy to follow from the stands once they got into lapped traffic.  It is supper loud I did about 70 laps with no ear plugs just for the experience but at the first caution I stuck them in.  I will try to get some pictures up by tomorrow night. location for camera angle was not the best but I did what I could. 

Oooh I miss it! Reading your post brings me right back to the track. yes, most tracks are terrible to park at, and yes its loud, but oh the thrill of being there! I can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks for sharing Add!

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:28 AM »

Add, sounds like you had a great time.  Can't wait to see the pics!   :thumb:

I can't believe you went 70 laps with no earplugs.  I would have probably lasted one lap.   :lolg:
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

FurballWench

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
Re: All-star race week/Coca-Cola 600 LMS Charlotte - Discussion
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:38 PM »

(bear with me I will get some writing in here)

I learned a few things about photography
- first I want a newer and better camera these are with a Kodak DX3600 2.2 mpxl (about 6 years 0ld)
- sporting events are not as easy as you thing (movement and lighting is very tricky)
- sometimes editing makes it worse LOL - so I left most alone
- damn those rechargeable batteries when they get old

Also learned somethings about going to the races
- you can never leave to early to the race
- there is no known description of the sound you will experience -just put the ear plugs in and hang on. - you   
  can hear loadspeakers enough through the plugs
- the race gets difficult to follow without a race scanner or some other means once they start to lap cars.
- you may not see what caused the caution - but you feel it before you see the yellow lights - when the cars let
  up on the horse power.
- it is a fairly amazing experience to go to.

This was our overall view of the track from our location in turn 4. As well we could see all turn 3 activity really good .  I feel they were pretty good seats but I would have like to see more of the pit activity.

This is the prerace activities

They bring all the drivers around the track on a truck for introductions - I think this is Truex Jr. in the red truck and Dale Jr. in the white truck.

I was unware they broke the field into groups at the start of the race on the first lap so here is the two groups.

As they went to Green this is the cars after the pace car dropped off headed towards the start line - thinks start to crank up at this point and the really take off.  They get moving pretty fast - it is amazing to see 43 cars go from pace speed to 198 in a few seconds.

Just a few corner 4 pictures: Sadler, Hamlin, Truex,

Vickers, Edwards, Earnhardt Jr.

First round of green flag pitstops coming in.

Racing hard into 3 and 4 Big Busch up front Dale Jr. holding off Little Busch

Montoya takes a spin through the grass.

Vickers loses his wheel in turn 2 - Sun is starting to set.

Pace truck leading the entire field

This was supposed to be Jr. but timing was off Jr. is barely visible. Instead it is a shot of the winner Kasey Kane

End of the race the cares headed into the Garage area.

Kasey Kane doing polish victory lap.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 11:15 PM by Adventuredaz »

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • Haunted Conservatory Room

Thanks for sharing the photos.  Sounds like you had fun.

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

CoralHibiscus

• Nobody pay attention
    to my rear!!!
  • Bat Magic
Re: All-star race week/Coca-Cola 600 LMS Charlotte - Discussion
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:51 AM »

Also learned somethings about going to the races
- you can never leave to early to the race
- there is no known description of the sound you will experience -just put the ear plugs in and hang on. - you   
  can hear loadspeakers enough through the plugs
- the race gets difficult to follow without a race scanner or some other means once they start to lap cars.
- you may not see what caused the caution - but you feel it before you see the yellow lights - when the cars let
  up on the horse power.
- it is a fairly amazing experience to go to.

hehe I just have to add my commentary to what you put here  ;)

- yup my dad and I woke up at 6AM for the Nationwide race at Atlanta. we left the house at 6:30- 7 ish drove south for 2 hours got there at 9ish and got blasted by snow.. but that's a different story.
- Cup cars are sooo much louder than the Nationwide cars! I took out my earplug for one lap while the Cup cars were practicing!
- yup. 1 year my dad and I tried the nextel fan vision thing and it was horrible so we switched back to the regular scanners.
- yup it gets so quiet wh nthey're under caution.. (I remember the year Ryan Newman ran in the Nation wide race at Atlanta and the wreck happened right in front of us an he bowed and then pointed at his tire.  :laugh2: )
- I love going to the Nationwide race in Atlanta. I wish I ahd the money to get to a Cup race at some point.

oh and I don't think I've ever seen a tire bounce that much as Brian Vickers' tire did on Sunday! I'm glad that nobody got hurt from that tire.

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

Wonderful shots Add! It makes me want to go again so bad. Don't you love it?

So true what you said about going early (we got up at 4am for Daytona) and the sounds. There is nothing like it. Even with ear plugs, it shakes your entire body. It looks like you were pretty tightly seated like we were at Daytona, but the fans are great. And you did have excellent seats btw. Ours at Daytona were a little low on the track for me and I learned to buy seats a little higher. When we go to Infineon, we have great seats at turn 3.

And yes, you can follow the race much better at home on the TV, but the experience is way different.

Did you get to go near the garage at all, or the pits? That is fun to do as well. We have snuck into the garage area a few times at Infineon and it was worth the risk. Hehe. Could never do it now though, security is much higher since 9/11.

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic

Because I went with my parents I would say the experience was a little different then if it had been on my own or with friends. 

We got there with little extra time and it was a long race so no time to really explore - My Mom was having a fit about how far we had to park and was sure she would never make it to the gate.  I would have loved to get down to the garage and if we had an extra hour or two and my Brother had made it we might have at least gone to the infield - although we were told you could not go in without infield passes I suspect it would have been workable. 

It was amazing and as I said there is no experience like it.  Glad you will make it to Infineon. Woot (more pictures)  :rofl3:

The Tickets are definately not cheap so I doubt I could have swung it at this time on my own.  But I will surely be looking for another opportunity.  There is no way my daughter could have handled the sound. 

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic

Season standings for the fantasy league

vmknobs

Rank Team Points
1 Speed Racers 1,122
2 EvilCats 1,089
3 Swansongace 1,078
4 Team Gnome 1,073
5 Adventuredaz 1,024
6 antjewel racing 1,012
7 Decoy Racing 930
8 papaduck racing 758
9 fun 324

Competition is heating up 1/3 of the way through the season - going to have to turn it up a notch.

Anyone see where that Cat came from??? :pullcarpet:

Never too late to get in the league ... we need more participants so it sounds better when we say we finished in the top 10  :rofl1:

Starshinebelle

Great Pictures Add
Looks like it was a great day at the speedway.
You went 70 laps without earplugs you must still be deaf.
My hubby is going to the pocanos with friends for the June 8th race. I'll have to see the race on tv. :(

What race team?

Star*
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up