VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Treadmills  (Read 7204 times)

fantasymooma

Treadmills
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:08 PM »

I have a few Questions. I will start it off with...

Would I get the same amount of exercise on a treadmill as I would with running outside? 
I want to start running, but looking at strollers for my two year old were a bit pricey.  Not looking to spend over $150 on a stroller that I will only use a few months out of the year.

Also..

Is there a difference in resistance between a manual and a not manual? (LoL don't know if there is a word to call it)  Or any disadvantages between the two?

Any info/comments on or about Treadmills would be great.  I'm very interested in buying one.
Thanks so much. :)

lab_girl

• Are my results in yet?
    From the Smurf Generation
  • Bat Magic
Lava the running!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:15 AM »

:thumb: Woot! running!
There are many running strollers out there second hand - many people buy them and never use them (but, watch the 'weight' restrictions) - and the price can be quite good  :thumb:
I personally can't use a treadmill - I resemble a ball in a pin ball machine bouncing of the side guards.  I guess I just have bad balance - or maybe I run all crazy, not sure. ( :drunk:  and No.. I don't drink before running, lol )

Good Luck with you decision!  I know many who run on treadmills here when it is cold (we get to -40'C with the wind chill for awhile each winter), but, I just take those as my 'off' days and I run as long as it is warmer than -30'C.  (NO, you can not 'freeze' your lungs), that being said, I don't take any of my kids running with me when it is winter here.  I run when the two youngest go to bed, and my husband or oldest child is at home - yep, I am the crazy person out running at 9 o'clock at night.

:fishing: :cheerleader: :pbook: :pbounce: :tigger: :pmickey:
     DH                      DD       DS    DS    DS

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Flying Carpet Magic
Re: Treadmills
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:38 AM »

Again, not a runner here...but will give you a little input.  I have a few in my Hotel and have known some people that have had one.  Treadmills are huge and hard to move and store if you decide you aren't needing it. So you want to make sure you have the space you need and that you really would use it - they are costly.  Also the friction tends to generate some type of matelic dust that has oil residue in it.  This can ruin your floor so if you deside to go with it look at protecting the floor.   We also occationally experience electrical breaker tripping. 

Recently we added an Oliptical machine, it seems quite popular and takes a little less space. also it seems more durable.  You might consider looking into that as well as an alternative.

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Sir IQuack4Wenches & sometimes I quack myself up!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:40 AM »

My theory is that walking is cheaper than a treadmill, and the change of scenery and fresh air make it much nicer than being indoors watching the walls. :thumbs:
I know that the voices aren't real,
But they have some good ideas anyway.

I say you are a wench because it's a good thing!:rum:

Life is good on the lunatic fringe.

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 12:43 PM »

Hi Fan!
When I would go to the sports club I found the treadmill hurt my knees.  I became quite fond of the elipticals.  When the club's monthly fee went to up, and up, and up again to over $60 a month per person, we decided to cancel get a piece of equipment of our own. It helped that is was "holiday" time. 

Whatever you buy shop around and find something that is sturdy.  Check out the sports super stores and smaller fitness specialty shops as well.  There are often close outs at the "little guys".  THere are even chains that sell used sports equipment.  We did get a rubber mat to put under our Precor.  It is on an APC power strip to in case of power spikes and dips.  If you intend to put the fitness equipment on a carpeted surface, you may also need a piece of plywood to steady it. 

This time of year the Eliptical sees the most of me.  Even more than winter!  The tree pollen is brutal. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:46 PM by souper_happy »

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

Princessconfused

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 02:19 PM »

I use a treadmill for about 150 of my training miles for half marathon training.  I do the other 50 or so outside.  I do like the outside training better but especially in the summer its not uncommon to be 115 degrees when I get home from work and training at 4am on a work day is out of the question for me.  (I live in the arizona desert) The alternative has been to get a good treamill.  I had one given to me for my first half marathon and I wore it out.  I learned a lot when I had that on what I want and dont want.  My basic needs were to be a long enough belt to run on and not too narrow.   I also like the incline feature and the quick start by pushing any speed I want to begin at.   I bought a Norditrack at Sears for about $900.  Im pretty happy with it.  It does fold up but thats useless!!  To fold up you would need to run towards the wall all the time and after one session I said no way was I going to face a wall just to fold up the tread mill afterwards and the legs still stuck out anyway.

A good way to buy a treadmill is to go try them at the store.  I ran on at least 10 or so before I found what I wanted. 

fantasymooma

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:53 AM »

Thank You all for your input.  I looking more toward a Manual Treadmill I have seen which had some good reviews.  I can see myself using the treadmill more than going out with a big jogging stroller.   So I am leaning toward a treadmill as you can see. 

Yes Happy the tree pollen is brutal, it has no mercy on me.  I have been waking up sneezing, itchy eyes and throat, nose running, the whole package for the past couple of days.  :cry:

Oh and the precor's I LOVE THEM!! I was a member of a gym a few years ago and I spent most of my time on that.   LOVED IT!  But I have no room for the precor tho.  :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up