VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: I loves me some racing... Hows about Y'all?  (Read 18877 times)

Decoy

• Head Decoy In Charge
    Yet Still Just a Decoy...

Where'd he go now?
  • HDIC
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Nothing to See Here...
    • CRS - Caffeinated & Requiring Sugar
I loves me some racing... Hows about Y'all?
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:35 PM »

OK First new post on the first new board.

Wonder if any of you race fans want to moderate it?  :lolp: (Seriously)

I like more NASCAR drivers than I don't, though Newman is my main driver & every year I pick a rookie to pull for.

I also like other racing, in particular I have been following the USAC-CRA 410 Sprint Cars that run on dirt tracks like Perris, CA.

I like racing so much, that when it came time to consider advertising for my business, I decided to advertise at our local tracks first. If you live in SoCal, or visit here and make a race at Irwindale Speedway or Perris Auto Speedway (PAS) you will find my ads for the full 2008 season. It has had an even more exciting side effect, in that I am now an associate sponsor on one of the sprint cars, and the driver is really good. (More details, links & pictures in future posts.)

So, how about all Y'all?   
...ʞɔɐq ʎɯ uo ʇɐ1ɟ ...sɐʍ ı ǝɹǝɥʇ

fantasymooma

Re: I loves me some racing... Hows about Y'all?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:40 PM »

Not a huge fan of racing, but when it's something like the Nextel Cup I'll watch it.

And I nominate Antjewel for Mod!  :wink:

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
    Still Molting After All This Time
  • Purple Vice Admin
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Make my day... pull a few gray ones out for me!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:11 PM »

Well, I am not into racing, but I agree with Fantasy.. of course Ant has to be mod!! ;)  (If she'll accept it)
You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing!

Antjewel

• I fart in your
    general direction.
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:14 AM »

WOOT!! A NASCAR spot on this forum?? Am I dreaming?? Shall i pinch myself??? Of course I would love the honor of moderating the NASCAR board. Wait, what is NASCAR again??  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
You say I am a wench like it's a bad thing. WEDGEWENCH

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
  • Sir IQuack4Wenches & sometimes I quack myself up!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:52 AM »

I must admit that I enjoy the sport in most ways. Nascar, local short track (stock cars, sprints, midgets) and speedway motorcycle, but my roots are in Drag Racing. Not "modern NHRA style drag racing", which has turned into a circus, (or "Dragsneyland" as my old buddy likes to call it), but true vintage style with it's roots in the '50s and '60s.

My first race car was a 1953 Ford Gas Class car that three of us built in 1962 and ran for one short season. That was all it took to hook me. After that I ran most of the cars I had up into the late '60s, and then when I got out of the Army in '69 I rode a 250cc Suzuki drag bike an old friend built, and we had the E/modified class record at 112 MPH in 12.20 seconds for the quarter mile. That was lots of fun and I still have some of the timing slips and a trophy for the memories.

Currently my "street toy" is a '64 Dodge Polara with a 440 for power that should run in the same range or quicker than the old bike, and the project car is a purpose built vintage dragster we are building that is basically a recreation of the early  '50s style of garage built cars that helped bring the sport to life.

Power for that one is true vintage.......a 1934 Dodge 6 cylinder engine going into a chassis built from Model T ford frame rails and 1 3/4 inch steel tube, not much more than a frame and engine and the whole car should weigh less than 1000 lbs. The class record for these cars is currently in the low 12 second range, just under 110 MPH.

As the construction progresses, I'll post some pictures, and results when we get it running.
I know that the voices aren't real,
But they have some good ideas anyway.

I say you are a wench because it's a good thing!:rum:

Life is good on the lunatic fringe.

RosieC

• I am getting older  :lolg:
    It comes in pints!?!
    I'm gettin' one!!
  • Safari Room
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 11:13 AM »

I must admit that I enjoy the sport in most ways. Nascar, local short track (stock cars, sprints, midgets) and speedway motorcycle, but my roots are in Drag Racing. Not "modern NHRA style drag racing", which has turned into a circus, (or "Dragsneyland" as my old buddy likes to call it), but true vintage style with it's roots in the '50s and '60s.

My first race car was a 1953 Ford Gas Class car that three of us built in 1962 and ran for one short season. That was all it took to hook me. After that I ran most of the cars I had up into the late '60s, and then when I got out of the Army in '69 I rode a 250cc Suzuki drag bike an old friend built, and we had the E/modified class record at 112 MPH in 12.20 seconds for the quarter mile. That was lots of fun and I still have some of the timing slips and a trophy for the memories.

Currently my "street toy" is a '64 Dodge Polara with a 440 for power that should run in the same range or quicker than the old bike, and the project car is a purpose built vintage dragster we are building that is basically a recreation of the early  '50s style of garage built cars that helped bring the sport to life.

Power for that one is true vintage.......a 1934 Dodge 6 cylinder engine going into a chassis built from Model T ford frame rails and 1 3/4 inch steel tube, not much more than a frame and engine and the whole car should weigh less than 1000 lbs. The class record for these cars is currently in the low 12 second range, just under 110 MPH.

As the construction progresses, I'll post some pictures, and results when we get it running.

:lolg: can you say that in english!  :lolg:
Sweet maiden of the golden ale.

PintsWench
You say I'm a Wench like it's a bad thing!

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33 AM »

Sorry if I lost you there Rosie, it probably doesn't make any sense to the non Hot Rodders out there amongst us, but real racers have a language of their own and I really didn't get very technical. :lolg:

Basically what I said to sum it up is that my racing preferences involve going in a straight line over short distances as quickly as possible, in vehicles more than 40 years old, and in the case of the dragster that we are building, most of the parts being used are older than that. :thumbs:

I guess I just live in the past, but I can still diagnose problems in carburetors and the points and condenser distributors used in the early cars and the new cars don't have any of that stuff. I'm not a computer technician, but I like to build, (and race) cars, and have been tinkering with automobiles since somewhere around 1958 even though I was only 12 at that time and had to rebuild the engine on my first car, (a 1950 Studebaker that I bought for $25.00 in 1962) before I could drive it, so I tend to think people know stuff that comes "natural" to me. :rofl1:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:35 AM by papaduck »

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:55 AM »

Sorry if I lost you there Rosie, it probably doesn't make any sense to the non Hot Rodders out there amongst us, but real racers have a language of their own and I really didn't get very technical. :lolg:

Basically what I said to sum it up is that my racing preferences involve going in a straight line over short distances as quickly as possible, in vehicles more than 40 years old, and in the case of the dragster that we are building, most of the parts being used are older than that. :thumbs:

I guess I just live in the past, but I can still diagnose problems in carburetors and the points and condenser distributors used in the early cars and the new cars don't have any of that stuff. I'm not a computer technician, but I like to build, (and race) cars, and have been tinkering with automobiles since somewhere around 1958 even though I was only 12 at that time and had to rebuild the engine on my first car, (a 1950 Studebaker that I bought for $25.00 in 1962) before I could drive it, so I tend to think people know stuff that comes "natural" to me. :rofl1:

Thank you girl friend for asking for English, and, thank you Papa for supplying it!  :2thunbs:

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:28 PM »

Thank you girl friend for asking for English, and, thank you Papa for supplying it!  :2thunbs:

Just another "senor moment". :rofl1:

Purpleduck

• A Dry Duck
  • Purple Vice Admin
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 12:55 PM »

Hmm.. a "senior" senor moment? :lolg:

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56 PM »

Hmm.. a "senior" senor moment? :lolg:

:tongue3: :rofl1:

RosieC

It comes in pints!?!
    I'm gettin' one!!
  • Safari Room
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 07:33 PM »

Thanks for the explanation papa. I did pretty much get it. hehe But I had to be a smart ass!   :lolg:

I've watched my uncle rebuild old cars like that and he races too. It sure is amazing what you guys can do with those old cars. There's nothing like taking a ride in one and having my uncle put the pedal to the metal and me feeling flat as a pancake in my seat!  WOW! 

PintsWench

Kаsiks

• Liked by the Tag Fairy
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 05:32 AM »

Why is there a s at I loves me ? (I know I know my comment is so related to Nascar :rofl3:)

papaduck

• Suck it up,Cupcake!!
    I am for Whirled Peas
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 08:36 AM »

Thanks for the explanation papa. I did pretty much get it. hehe But I had to be a smart ass!   :lolg:

I've watched my uncle rebuild old cars like that and he races too. It sure is amazing what you guys can do with those old cars. There's nothing like taking a ride in one and having my uncle put the pedal to the metal and me feeling flat as a pancake in my seat!  WOW! 

As my old high school buddy likes to say, our job is to show the kids that real horsepower is made with gasoline and cubic inches, (generally both in large quantities). :rofl1:

There is something about the feeling of getting pushed back into the seat in relation to the application of throttle that does tend to activate the "grinnits". ;D

RosieC

It comes in pints!?!
    I'm gettin' one!!
  • Safari Room
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 04:12 PM »

Thanks for the explanation papa. I did pretty much get it. hehe But I had to be a smart ass!   :lolg:

As my old high school buddy likes to say, our job is to show the kids that real horsepower is made with gasoline and cubic inches, (generally both in large quantities). :rofl1:

There is something about the feeling of getting pushed back into the seat in relation to the application of throttle that does tend to activate the "grinnits". ;D

The "grinnits" hehe! That sums it up!

PintsWench

Happy

• Just a Happy Guest
    & A Bit Behind
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 03:59 PM »

WOOT!! A NASCAR spot on this forum?? Am I dreaming?? Shall i pinch myself??? Of course I would love the honor of moderating the NASCAR board. Wait, what is NASCAR again??  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Congratulations Ant! 

You say I am a wench, like it's a bad thing!
BitBehindWench

CoralHibiscus

• Nobody pay attention
    to my rear!!!
  • Bat Magic
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 09:49 PM »

:dance2: Woot! I found fellow Nascar fans!

Decoy

• Head Decoy In Charge
    Yet Still Just a Decoy...

Where'd he go now?
  • HDIC
  • Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
  • Nothing to See Here...
    • CRS - Caffeinated & Requiring Sugar
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 10:09 PM »

:dance2: Woot! I found fellow Nascar fans!

Wootness Indeed!!!

We have another... :thumbs:
...ʞɔɐq ʎɯ uo ʇɐ1ɟ ...sɐʍ ı ǝɹǝɥʇ

Kat

• Damn Freaking Kat
    She Bites!!!
     ;)
    The evil pancake bunny
    haunts me wherever I go!!

I am standing on
    the precipice of old!!
  • Moderator of This Board
  • Pirate Skull Rock Room
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 07:57 AM »

Welcome Coral!  Did you find our fantasy league too?  We'd love to have you join in the fun.   :dance:
________
Kathy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

FurballWench

KingQuackATac

• HEY!! Who stole the "gas5" smiley?
  • Fireworks Magic
  • Always a Pirate Duck
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 02:45 PM »

Well, I can't say I'm a huge racing fan. But my whole family just watched the entire Indy 500 and really enjoyed it.

Best part: When Danica Patrick was making a b-line for the dude who hit her car and caused her to be done for the day. Except they should have let the confrontation happen. Why not? She can certainly handle the boys.

KingQuackATac

• HEY!! Who stole the "gas5" smiley?
  • Fireworks Magic
  • Always a Pirate Duck
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 02:49 PM »

Why is there a s at I loves me ? (I know I know my comment is so related to Nascar :rofl3:)

No no, you should have asked this way:

Why in tarnation is thar an "S" when you said "loves." Ain't that bad grammer? :crazy4:
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up