VMK no BS Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Have You Heard of VFK?  (Read 18053 times)

fantasymooma

Have You Heard of VFK?
« on: April 09, 2008, 12:26 PM »

I saw this on the "other" site and thought I would share it here.

Check it out: http://www.virtualfamilykingdom.com/

Cloudymellowdisco

• Disco Here, Datco There
  • Teleport Magic
Re: Have You Heard of VFK?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:26 PM »

Thanks Fantasy!  Hmmmmm, I wonder what will happen when Disney finds out about this upcoming site?  Will they leave it alone???   :hmmmm:

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • New NOT Gnu Moderator II
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:26 PM »

There is some concern over the Authanticity of this.  I feel comfortable it is real...I can say it won't be VMK. Perhaps conceptualy similar but they can only be so simalar without infringing.   My recommendation is to preregister - just use a dedicated e-mail adress - preferably newly created.  I signed up to lock in my title and in hopes it is a promising substitute.

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
  • Haunted Conservatory Room
  • Still Soarin' :)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:26 PM »

I pre-registered as well.  It's worth a shot in my opinion.
:pirate: You say I'm a wench like it's a bad thing! :pirate:

kangapal

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:33 PM »

I'm  a moderator over at another site.  As far as we can tell, this is a scam.

Here is the info that was found (via VMKaddict):

We don't trust it.  I just thought you might want to know.

Cloudymellowdisco

• Disco Here, Datco There
  • Teleport Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 05:46 PM »

Thanks Kanga!  I'm glad I trusted my instincts earlier and decided to wait to hear a little more info about the site before registering. 

fantasymooma

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:01 PM »

I'm  a moderator over at another site.  As far as we can tell, this is a scam.

Here is the info that was found (via VMKaddict):

We don't trust it.  I just thought you might want to know.

Okay, for us slow people can you or someone else explain how you know this is a scam just by looking at that????

laurabearz

• Wasting Away in...
    Rum-ah-ritaville?!?
  • Invisibility Magic
  • It's Fun being Me.. Is it Fun being You?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 10:19 PM »

IMO the fact that they used GoDaddy to register their domain name goes a long way... And the fact the registrant is not a corporation...
You know there is never a good time to quit smoking but geez...

kangapal

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:43 AM »

I was told by the people that looked this information up, that this account was opened up the same day Yavn announced VMK was closing.  Which they thought was very odd if they had been working on it for awhile.  Someone else did a trace on the phone numberm and it goes back to some place in New Jersey.  And if you look up the address on Google Earth it comes up with a house in a neighborhood.  I don't think Disney would be running something like this out of someone's house.

Mable

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 06:52 AM »

I wouldn't call this a scam, but I wouldn't trust it either, since we really do not know what this guy's intention is.
I think the safe thing to do is to wait until their "opening" day.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:55 AM by Mable »

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 08:34 AM »

First point is it isn't Disney and see no claim they are.  Second, it says they pushed it up when they got the announcement.  Fact is, if you are safe about what info you give them it can't hurt much - doesn't matter since it appears 7000+ people already gave them info.  The info shown tells me nothing bad or nothing good, operating out of a house (for any business) really means nothing I did it for 5 years - 2 years longer then VMK managed to do it in fancy digs.   

I had no issue with the site, I actually sign up at work, I did however, have an issue when googling for more information.

:please: Please be carefull I was not paying much attention doing about 3 things and fell for the oldest trick in the book. I got a terrible virus from 1 web site the pulled up on google some kind of blog and it had I needed real player, thinking I had it already I clicked and did not pay attention.  :oops:  This sucker danced right past Nortons with ease and I battled it all night - Nortons still doesn't see it but it has taken Administrative controll of the system includes a trojan and worm and a bunch of spywear.  Fortunately I do no on line billing or banking but have Issolated that computer for now while I work on it.  It let in another program in claiming to be virus software and I will have to restore the system over the next few days.

While this site may or may not be legitiatewatch even where you go to find info about this.  The site itself was never accessed from home so I know it came from a secondary site I visited to find more Info.   While I take 50% of the blame I would not be looking for a replacement if VMK was not closing. 

Note - I have sussecfully battled these in the past
second note - no I can't help you - it's not fun or easy.
additional note - ah!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:37 AM by Adventuredaz »

fantasymooma

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 03:12 PM »

They changed the whole layout of their "homepage".  To make it look not like VMK. LoL

Even if this website/game is not for real, all those who have pre-registered have only given them an email and "username".  Nothing else.  Don't know how that is a scam if the only info you gave was an email.??

I just saw this...
Is Virtual Family Kingdom a Scam?
There has been a lot of discussion on the forums about whether our site is a scam.

We are not...

We've put a couple of our favorite answers from the forums below...

One user said:

"Ok, this whole "OMG, it's a scam" thing is getting really old. They cannot possibly know your birthday, first and last name, or anything neeed to get your password. Even if they did... what would they do with over 5,000 vmk accounts for a website that is closing anyway???
You can use whatever email address you want, all it's doing it signing you up in a pre-registration, you'll most likely get an invitation towards the 22nd of May and a request for you to finish your actual registration.

Do not think this is affiliated with Disney however because it's not. These guys just wanted to do something nice for their kids and the homebased project got out of hand haha. Anyone with husbands knows how that goes. They have branched it out early because Disney announced it's closing og the vmk site, but it's still in beta testing. I am going to be excited because I remember logging into vmk the week it started and knowing how many bugs we encountered then, I will not be surprised if it takes them a while to get it going. Don't be afraid."

Another user said:

"This is not a scam. Many people think it is, but I'm here to tell you it is not. They are a group of people from New Mexico who have kids of their own who played VMK. Since they figured out that VMK was closing, they decided to make their own game, which will be released as Virtual Family Kingdom a.k.a. VFK. It is just like VMK, only a few things are different. The rooms are, character looks, and how the lands are. Instead of Disney themes, it is themes of past and present years in the world. VFK beta will start on May 22, 2008, the day after that VMK closes. They want you to join them as a farewell to VMK. If you join on May 22, 2008, you will get the "Here from day 1" pin, just like in VMK. It is in it's beta testing, and some things might be a little glitchy or wrong, but they are working on it. The game is supposed to be actually released by the end of 2008 Summer. If you have any other questions, contact VFK from this phone number: 954-349-3325.

They also said they are looking for staff for the game. If you are interested, please use the contact us button and tell the VFK team about it. We are not sure on how many staff we will select. If you don't get picked, we are sorry and hopefully all of you will still play VFK. Thanks for your support, and we will all see you at our beta testing!"

Both of them are right...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:14 PM by fantasymooma »

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 03:41 PM »

While I take 50% of the blame I would not be looking for a replacement if VMK was not closing. 

So very sorry to hear about your computer virus.   :(    I do hope you are able to fix things soon.

I do appreciate you taking the time for sharing things you have found out though, while searching for information.

And lastly, I chose to Quote you on one thing above.  I could not agree with you more!   :thumbs:

Astro

• One of These Loonies
    Easily Entertained
  • Blue NOT New Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 03:48 PM »

Fantasy:  Thanks for sharing all of your information that you found as well.  I have to agree with both user opinions too.

Yes, I pre-registered.  Hopefully it wasn't one of the biggest mistakes of my life.  But at this point I'm willing to take a chance with VFK as well. 

I really don't think any of the options (Toontown, POTC, Club Penguin) Disney is offering to me, are of any interest at all.  Which is a shame.  But, I think Disney will soon find that out all on their own, when nobody is rushing over to those sites.

fantasymooma

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 08:59 AM »

Got this out of the Yavn Speaks.

While I'm on that topic, please remember that during this time you will see other sites that pop up – some that look very much like VMK – asking for your email and character name to support an effort to keep the game alive. These are not Disney sites and are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by The Walt Disney Company. You are putting your online safety at risk (not to mention getting an inbox full of spam) by sharing personal information like your email with these sites.

candlelady

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 11:48 PM »

Gosh, I don't know what to think.  Sad VMK is closing, excited that there may be another site like it.  Mad because I tried to pre-register but couldn't registration is full.  Relieved because now I am hearing: scam, spam and all that mess.  What is a girl to do? I just wish VMK would stay open and then I wouldn't have to be a mess of emotion  :groan: Good luck to all of you who were able to pre-register and  :rant2: because now I will be in the dark to how the open goes.   :doh:

Adventuredaz

• Churros, Coffee &
    Hour Strecher Wanted
    Inquire Within
  • Flying Carpet Magic
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 09:12 AM »

Gosh, I don't know what to think.  Sad VMK is closing, excited that there may be another site like it.  Mad because I tried to pre-register but couldn't registration is full.  Relieved because now I am hearing: scam, spam and all that mess.  What is a girl to do? I just wish VMK would stay open and then I wouldn't have to be a mess of emotion  :groan: Good luck to all of you who were able to pre-register and  :rant2: because now I will be in the dark to how the open goes.   :doh:
Stay tuned, if it gets open and operating those of us trying it will give reports on it and screen shots as well as keep you updated on allowing more players.  Sorry you were not able to preregister...this is why I wanted to get it done as soon as I saw it, base on competition registrations in vmk it was clear it would take no time once word was out to have half the place signed up.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up